New JL, was this item free?

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
The wiring should be a simple harness. Plug and play.
Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I think the real gift would be the better alternator and aux switch and wiring preinstalled.
I got the bigger alternator but they didn't exactly throw it in. It's included with the Alpine upgrade.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I got the bigger alternator but they didn't exactly throw it in. It's included with the Alpine upgrade.
Nice, I didnt know they included that with the Alpine also. So I guess I got ripped off getting both the upgrades. Lol. Or maybe I got a bigger, BIGGER alternator ;)

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The wiring should be a simple harness. Plug and play.
Yes and No. The tow hitch harness tail light connectors do install inline at the rear of the vehicle, and tuck in cleanly. The remaining CANBUS wire, as it's known, must then be routed from the rear of the vehicle to the front, carefully secured along the frame rail as you go, before being fed up into the engine bay and secured via ring terminal to a positive lug on the main battery.

The foregoing applies to a 4-flat harness, such as what Quadratec, for example, sells. A harness with a 7-pin connector may require additional labor.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Getting free anything is a happy experience. they probably threw it in because of their good hearts...........Uhhhh, no

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my 2018 JLUR off of the lot at a nearby dealer I noticed that it had a hardtop that wasn't listed on the window sticker. I waited until the deal was done and keys were in my hand until I asked why the hardtop was free on my Silver jeep but was an option on the black jeep that I was thinking of buying (playing dumb sometimes comes easy to me). The sales manager was confused so I showed him the window sticker and he said it must have been a mistake from the factory. He said congrats you got a free roof and then a few days later I received a corrected window sticker in the mail reflecting the correct configuration. Factory mistakes happen, we the consumer are typically on the wrong end of these mistakes but occasionally they work in our favor.
Since we know this rarely often works in our favor, just curious if there's any way to tell if we got the correct battery and alternator in the HD electrical group that comes with the tow package. Pretty sure my battery is correct, as it is labeled 700 cca, but I've been a little curious about the alternator. Any telltale markings/tags we can refer to?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
you guys keep saying 12 pin its a 7 pin and 4 pin connector for the trailer tow package no idea why you keep saying 12.

I was half asleep this am when I responded and typed 12 rather then 7..... Most here realize it's 7 pin and or 4 pin... I know I do.... :LOL:

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Since we know this rarely often works in our favor, just curious if there's any way to tell if we got the correct battery and alternator in the HD electrical group that comes with the tow package. Pretty sure my battery is correct, as it is labeled 700 cca, but I've been a little curious about the alternator. Any telltale markings/tags we can refer to?
Sorry, I do not know the answer to the alternator question.

Sponsored

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
I ordered a jl sport and I received a JL rubicon for the same price! no big deal :CWL:

JKJK

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
When I bought my V6 there was a glitch on the dealer system and it was priced as a 2.0. not only that, but they had a huge discount ln 2.0s that week. MSRP for my jeep was 39k. I paid 31k. Right after signing everything I waited a few days and called them and asked them to "fix" the paperwork were it said 2.0, just in case. They fixed it, no questions asked.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
What happened to the OP.. I want to know the rest of this story. Especially since I'm considering installing an after market harness....

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and No. The tow hitch harness tail light connectors do install inline at the rear of the vehicle, and tuck in cleanly. The remaining CANBUS wire, as it's known, must then be routed from the rear of the vehicle to the front, carefully secured along the frame rail as you go, before being fed up into the engine bay and secured via ring terminal to a positive lug on the main battery.

The foregoing applies to a 4-flat harness, such as what Quadratec, for example, sells. A harness with a 7-pin connector may require additional labor.
Yep, that's what took so long when I installed mine, running that stupid wire to the front took a while...

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
you guys keep saying 12 pin its a 7 pin and 4 pin connector for the trailer tow package no idea why you keep saying 12.
It was Al Gore math...
Sponsored