New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel")

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sad.
That was what we reported day 1 with our JLU. Took 1-1/2 years to get the new black steering gear in. It's a Jeep Thing. Heard that a bunch of times.
I'm coming up to year 3 of owning my JL. I had the issue from the moment I drove it on the interstate coming home. I have changed things over the years that improved it greatly. But the steering box is the last piece of the puzzle to fix the wandering/loose steering I still have. Albeit, no where near as bad as when I first bought it. It's still a bit tiring to drive it and just doesn't feel like you can confidently put it where you want it at highway speeds.

I'm about to run out of warranty and I need to get it in to request the TSB work.
Advertisement

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm coming up to year 3 of owning my JL. I had the issue from the moment I drove it on the interstate coming home. I have changed things over the years that improved it greatly. But the steering box is the last piece of the puzzle to fix the wandering/loose steering I still have. Albeit, no where near as bad as when I first bought it. It's still a bit tiring to drive it and just doesn't feel like you can confidently put it where you want it at highway speeds.

I'm about to run out of warranty and I need to get it in to request the TSB work.
I had the first TSB done. It made a great difference.

The Second TSB is more thorough.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/tsb-08-003-21-pdf.420454/

* it's been written better; hopefully the tech is given the right steering gear for the vehicle.
* new steering gear is installed
* track bar is replaced (if it hasn't been done before) for older JL's. There's a date they have to check.
* I thought they did an alignment. However, I didn't see that now.

My concern was that the computer may not have been re flashed. After all, it's was to put the code on the form. It takes time to re flash the computer.

The work on ours was beautifully done. I'm grateful.

Advertisement

Bestop

Advertisement