Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
T
Vinny2002 check it out....I printed it and took it into the dealership so they could read it themselves. This is in Canada. Procedure is different in FCA Jeep Canada. It has to be approved by the Service Manager. That was the first TSB.

TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin)
Thank you🙌🏻!
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So it's "Improved Steering Feel" TSB 08-003-21 January 9, 2021

Early JL Jeeps get a little bit more work done...it's in the TSB.

If I had concerns as you do I would check some things.

power steering fluid--is there enough?
tire pressure--is it set where it should be?

Steering gear--is the part number right?

Was the computer (?) refreshed? I'm told you should hear the pump working and it makes a real difference.

Were the right bolts used?

Was the nut torqued right on the steering gear? Massive torque. I've never heard of such huge torque.

Look for wear on the Pitman Arm on the bottom of the steering gear. Used to call it a Pitman box....

Hope this helps.

Helping other Jeep owners. It's a Jeep Thing.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You're welcome chief20

I just copied it from the table of contents on the forum.....they've done all the work.
I really care. I don't understand how this has gone on so long. First day of ownership I told them steering gear was bad and needed adjusting/replacing. It ws a Jeep Thing.

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Vinny2002 check it out....I printed it and took it into the dealership so they could read it themselves. This is in Canada. Procedure is different in FCA Jeep Canada. It has to be approved by the Service Manager. That was the first TSB.

TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin)

Cool.. I dropped my Jeep off this morning... Apparently there is a November TSB update. So they are going to go over the part list one by one and make sure I have everything. Advisor thought there might be a bolt or two that is new and needs changing. They are going to bring it through the latest computer steering updates also...so we shall see what happens. Side note.. There was apparently a brand new recall for another computer update that involves the timing of valves that can create a problem. They are updating that also. fingers crossed

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Cool.. I dropped my Jeep off this morning... Apparently there is a November TSB update. So they are going to go over the part list one by one and make sure I have everything. Advisor thought there might be a bolt or two that is new and needs changing. They are going to bring it through the latest computer steering updates also...so we shall see what happens. Side note.. There was apparently a brand new recall for another computer update that involves the timing of valves that can create a problem. They are updating that also. fingers crossed
Keep us updated vinny

Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep us updated vinny
So got my 2020 4 Door Rubicon back yesterday.

My 2020 had shipped with all the updated steering parts (ending in AE I believe) except for the steering gearbox. Had the TSB done about a year ago... They changed the gearbox and some bolts etc. Marginal improvement..but better nonetheless. Still that "disconnect" feeling between wheel and road. Feedback sucks.. Bit of a dead spot.. But didn't wander horribly.

Yesterday they went over things and said I was up to date on all parts - but there was indeed a software update for the steering in the November 2021 TSB... They performed it / and a second software update for the engine which was apparently a recall.

Haven't driven it a ton yet but instant impressions was a heavier and tighter feeling wheel. It definitely changed the feel and seems to have shrunken the dead spot.

Need to test it out on the highway more - especially in tight lanes etc... But so far seems like another step of improvement.

Word of warning.. My Jeep advisor said the 2021 Gladiators are having major issues. Said the death wobble is back - and they have no idea why - can't seem to remedy it. So far closest thing they have found is when the tires get to a certain wear point it starts occurring. Only fix they have had so far is changing the tires out. Really weird.. You would think the front end would be identical to a wrangler?

I think JEEP needs to overhaul the entire front end of their Wranglers and Gladiators. Maybe go back to an older year where their were no issues.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl

My 2020 had shipped with all the updated steering parts (ending in AE I believe) except for the steering gearbox. Had the TSB done about a year ago... They changed the gearbox and some bolts etc. Marginal improvement..but better nonetheless. Still that "disconnect" feeling between wheel and road. Feedback sucks.. Bit of a dead spot.. But didn't wander horribly.

Yesterday they went over things and said I was up to date on all parts - but there was indeed a software update for the steering in the November 2021 TSB... They performed it / and a second software update for the engine which was apparently a recall.

Haven't driven it a ton yet but instant impressions was a heavier and tighter feeling wheel. It definitely changed the feel and seems to have shrunken the dead spot.

Need to test it out on the highway more - especially in tight lanes etc... But so far seems like another step of improvement.

Word of warning.. My Jeep advisor said the 2021 Gladiators are having major issues. Said the death wobble is back - and they have no idea why - can't seem to remedy it. So far closest thing they have found is when the tires get to a certain wear point it starts occurring. Only fix they have had so far is changing the tires out. Really weird.. You would think the front end would be identical to a wrangler?

I think JEEP needs to overhaul the entire front end of their Wranglers and Gladiators. Maybe go back to an older year where their were no issues.
Yes your most definitely right with that. I think anything better than before for the both of us is an improvement. I spoke to someone who has a stock 2018 jlu willys and she said its perfect no wandering at all. Maybe a few out of the bunch were terrible but needs to be fixed. Feel bad for gladiators that might experience that

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr

Is there a Nov 2021 TSB??? Where is that???

Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the TSB number designator?
I apologize.. Shame on me.. I didn't grab a copy from them. He said the November TSB was not different than the last one (I think August) except as it pertained to vehicles sold in Canada.

This is what I have from the sales receipt. Hope it helps... But what I can say is if you got the new gearbox in 2020.... Or even bought a Jeep late 2020 or early 2021 with the updated steering gearbox.. You are likely due for a software upgrade... My dealership was very accommodating

You can also see the Emissions Recall below it... That was software also.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1639159303507

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
I apologize.. Shame on me.. I didn't grab a copy from them. He said the November TSB was not different than the last one (I think August) except as it pertained to vehicles sold in Canada.

This is what I have from the sales receipt. Hope it helps... But what I can say is if you got the new gearbox in 2020.... Or even bought a Jeep late 2020 or early 2021 with the updated steering gearbox.. You are likely due for a software upgrade... My dealership was very accommodating

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1639159303507
Thanks! If you don't mind asking the rep to send a copy of the TSB (it looks like its Rev A, which is a minor change from the original), I/we would greatly appreciate it! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr

I reached out to my dealer, and found out the 08-003-21 Rev A. (see attached. sorry for the pics vs a pdf; the tech sent me this. When I go in on tuesday, I'll scan the entire doc and upload).

Apparently, the pitman shaft nut is supposed to replaced when doing this TSB. Everything else is the same. My dealer is agreed to redo the TSB, which means I get another shot in seeing if another steering gear box and software flash is going to fix this. Fingers crossed...

image_67167233.JPG

image_67143169.JPG

image_67186177.JPG

image_55415491.JPG

image_67205377.JPG

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So is that pitman shaft nut new from the old TSB to this one? If so they screwed me and didn't bother witht he nut - just did the software upgrade.

I'm honestly exhausted with it at this point. It's good enough for now.. I'm gonna wait a couple of years for the car inventory and prices to get back to normal and then just trade my Rubicon in for one that has the Recon Package and hopefully by then all the steering issues sorted out.
Sponsored