Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not looking forward to the dealer drama I’m about to deal with… glad to hear yours is driving right now.
I have a 2021 JLUR, born January 2021. Terrible steering when purchased in May wandering anywhere over 35mph. Had the steering box replaced. Same part number, but the new one was an -AB part while the original was an -AA, both steel boxes. Some improvement, definitely stiffer steering, but it still wanders, and my interstate commute has me with a death grip when rolling with multiple lanes of traffic at speed.

Took it back to the dealer, and they said it operates as intended. This is my fifth Wrangler. It does NOT handle properly if judging from my previous Jeeps. Added the Mopar LCAs with little noticeable improvement. Still trying to find a solution.
I apologize for my delayed response here but I wanted to check in on each of your steering issues. Have they been resolved or are either of you still in need of assistance? Send our team a private message separately if you're still experiencing concerns. Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
I apologize for my delayed response here but I wanted to check in on each of your steering issues. Have they been resolved or are either of you still in need of assistance? Send our team a private message separately if you're still experiencing concerns. Thanks!

Kate
Jeep Cares
I Pmed you 😁

stoner

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Forester- 2000 Ranger- 650 KLR
Occupation
Retired and loving it...
I'm a little late (21 owners don't necessarily read this thread) but I wanted to report that I don't relate to any of these steering issues that I've heard people talk about. With an exception? When I first got the vehicle, the tires were significantly over-inflated. It created a nice big play area right in the center of steering. After a little air-down to 37 psi, things were great.

stoner

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it...

Kate
Jeep Cares
I also have a 2021 wrangler 2 door, mines in the shop now for the 2nd time with steering problems. They did give me a loaner, both times, they had the Jeep for 2 days so far this time. Hope they can get it figured out..

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
I also have a 2021 wrangler 2 door, mines in the shop now for the 2nd time with steering problems. They did give me a loaner, both times, they had the Jeep for 2 days so far this time. Hope they can get it figured out..
2 days wow im jealous they had mine once for 3 weeks

Sponsored

stoner

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it...
2 days wow im jealous they had mine once for 3 weeks
I havent got it back yet, I just hope they fix it.. I will keep you informed..

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Glad I found this regarding steering. I'll bring in my 2020 since still under warranty. Is there a site to check periodically for TSB's?

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Glad I found this regarding steering. I'll bring in my 2020 since still under warranty. Is there a site to check periodically for TSB's?
I dont know. Check with your service advisor to see if you are for the tsb flash or going from aluminum to steel….

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
I'm a little late (21 owners don't necessarily read this thread) but I wanted to report that I don't relate to any of these steering issues that I've heard people talk about. With an exception? When I first got the vehicle, the tires were significantly over-inflated. It created a nice big play area right in the center of steering. After a little air-down to 37 psi, things were great.
How much play is normal or to be expected? My '21 Sport Altitude (w/ 18" wheels and HT tires) was just delivered and it has maybe 1/4" - 1/2" max. of play before you can feel (hand on tire) the tire start to move. Doesn't sound like much but my '17 Subaru Crosstrek has essentially 0" play but it's a much smaller wheel/ tire and not a solid axle. The Jeep does seem to require more minor adjustments at highway speeds but not terrible. Just wondering if my expectations are too high. The tires were inflated to 38+psi when delivered and I dropped them to 37 and may go to 36.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
How much play is normal or to be expected? My '21 Sport Altitude (w/ 18" wheels and HT tires) was just delivered and it has maybe 1/4" - 1/2" max. of play before you can feel (hand on tire) the tire start to move. Doesn't sound like much but my '17 Subaru Crosstrek has essentially 0" play but it's a much smaller wheel/ tire and not a solid axle. The Jeep does seem to require more minor adjustments at highway speeds but not terrible. Just wondering if my expectations are too high. The tires were inflated to 38+psi when delivered and I dropped them to 37 and may go to 36.
Its the best its going to be. You can try the tsb flash if it really bothers you. Check the bulletin for 2021 but i think they come with steel steering.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
See the Sticky below: It's an essential check on this wonderful forum!

Wiki Recalls/TSB/Issues Bulletins for JL Wrangler. Check your JL for recalls.

Dave

41155.jpg

• Thread watched
icon1.png
New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel")
198 199 200
Replies2,995Views323,208
Today at 11:37 AM
Chief20
[ATTACH=full]536957[/ATTACH]
icon1.png
Wiki Recalls / TSB / Issues Bulletins for JL Wrangler. Check your JL for recalls.
4 5 6
Replies75Views111,053
Oct 27, 2021
dave327nc
[ATTACH=full]536959[/ATTACH]
Hello From JeepCares
57 58 59
Replies880Views151,439
May 8, 2019
JeepCares
[ATTACH=full]536960[/ATTACH]

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
First TSB (technical service bulletin) for steering gear replacement was cancelled.

There's a second one that is better.

Dave

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
First TSB (technical service bulletin) for steering gear replacement was cancelled.

There's a second one that is better.

Dave
Dave - I had the first TSB done.. It helped somewhat but still doesn't feel quite right. Disconnect feeling from the road. Does the 2nd TSB have any part changes..or is it mainly a software upgrade... I am going to take mine in - hopeful there is a software update.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vinny2002 check it out....I printed it and took it into the dealership so they could read it themselves. This is in Canada. Procedure is different in FCA Jeep Canada. It has to be approved by the Service Manager. That was the first TSB.

TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin)
Sponsored