Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
I understand. I would have them replace your gearbox but in the event the new one still has slop this is a fix to adjust it. I know several that have done this to verify it helps and then reset to the oem markings to have the dealer replace the aluminum gearbox with the steel. I know on my JL the new gearbox made a big difference. I have an appt next week to have the one in my Gladiator replaced. I also installed the longer Mopar control arms to allow for more caster.
My caster and toe in is spot on. Along with my steering being messed up my camber is messed up. I had the tsb update, then went from aluminum to steel with update. Lets see what they do now 🍿
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I just brought my 18jl in and got it back for this steering and other issues...... did this tsb number change? Mine says 08-003-21
Yes, it changed.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My caster and toe in is spot on. Along with my steering being messed up my camber is messed up. I had the tsb update, then went from aluminum to steel with update. Lets see what they do now 🍿
If the camber is out of spec, it was either built incorrectly or the axle got bent from a driving event.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
If the camber is out of spec, it was either built incorrectly or the axle got bent from a driving event.
I feel like it was built incorrectly because new york pot holes are something you have to avoid even wit e rated tires 🤣. Ive had an issue from day 1 . I spoke to dealer and they dont know the last two alignment specs since they dont do it in shop and they send it out to be done 🤦🏻‍♂️. I found camber sleeves that can help . I might try them out or just bring to dealer to fix on their behalf. Maybe they are playing dumb or honestly didnt know because the shop that does alignment thought as long as steering wheel is straight.

Sponsored

Cat4

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Brought my JL in this morning to the dealer to have the steering looked at. As I was being checked in I told the guy about the dead spot and he goes “is there any CEL light” I say no, then he proceeds to tell me that’s normal and that’s how it be diagnosed. I was at a loss of words, no one had even touched the Jeep yet. Truly ridiculous….

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Brought my JL in this morning to the dealer to have the steering looked at. As I was being checked in I told the guy about the dead spot and he goes “is there any CEL light” I say no, then he proceeds to tell me that’s normal and that’s how it be diagnosed. I was at a loss of words, no one had even touched the Jeep yet. Truly ridiculous….
Did you print out the TSB and show it to them? They love to play dumb until you do that.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Took my 18 JLUR to Scott Robinson yesterday. After 10 minutes of waiting, a service lane guy finally asked what I wanted. I showed him the TSB and said I'd like to get it done. He said "We don't do TSBs. We diagnose the issue and fix what we find wrong". I told him I've been dealing with the issue described in the TSB for 3 years and my wife won't drive the Jeep. He said to see the girl for an appointment. I was given an appointment by the girl on a computer, but she didn't ask why I wanted an appointment. I think this is going south already.

niJL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
After asking for this TSB to be done since this past summer I finally got my jeep back. The new steering box is like night and day! Much more effert required to turn the wheel(Steering feel was almost nonexistent before). Super happy that they finally took care of this.

Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Took my 18 JLUR to Scott Robinson yesterday. After 10 minutes of waiting, a service lane guy finally asked what I wanted. I showed him the TSB and said I'd like to get it done. He said "We don't do TSBs. We diagnose the issue and fix what we find wrong". I told him I've been dealing with the issue described in the TSB for 3 years and my wife won't drive the Jeep. He said to see the girl for an appointment. I was given an appointment by the girl on a computer, but she didn't ask why I wanted an appointment. I think this is going south already.
My dealer did similar. JeepCares pushed it through the pipe. This TSB doesn't state that the dealer has to replicate the issue; only that if the customer describes the symptoms, to perform the repair. Send them a message.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") E1F8D3FC-BBD8-40D0-BE15-27C6E58D089C

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude
Keep us posted on results.
This might be the place to document my “Wrangler steering journey.”

My 2018 Sahara came from the factory with adequate steering feel: it wasn’t the greatest but it wasn’t as horrible as a bunch of other JLs I test drove before buying.
  1. A couple months into it, I swapped the OE 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler ATs (32x10 inches) with a set of 275/70R18 KO2s (33x10.7 inches). The Jeep drove, rode and handled great!
  2. A year after purchasing the Jeep, my dealer offered the Mopar lift, installed, for $2,000. I took the bait and had them install the lift. I love the smoother ride and the improved articulation, but right away I noticed the steering went to shit: lots of wander and a pull to the right. Also, the front wheels were 2 inches off-center towards the driver side
  3. Had a YETI adjustable track bar installed and an alignment done. This remedied the off-center issue, but the wandering and pull persisted
  4. I replaced the 33-inch KO2s with a set of 35x12.5 inch General Grabber ATXs. The larger, heavier tires made the front pull side-to-side whenever I applied the brakes on uneven surfaces
  5. I replaced the OE steering stabilizer with a FOX 2.0. This greatly stiffened steering feel and significantly reduced the side-to-side pull, both of which were welcome. But the wandering and pull to the right persisted
  6. I had an X-pattern rotation done to eliminate the tires as possible cause; the wandering and pull to the right persist
  7. I attempted to have the dealer that installed the Mopar lift do the steering box TSB. After jumping through a lot of hoops, they still turned me down under the pretext that “the Jeep has an aftermarket track bar.”
  8. I got another dealer, 30 miles away, to agree to do the TSB next week. I will report back if it helped

YellowNJTJ02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Yellow TJ, 15 F-150, 21JLUR(on order)
I have 21’ so the TSB doesn’t technically apply…
Have them check your ball joints. I have a 21 and the steering wasn't right. Brought it in and apparently the factory is releasing them with loose ball joints, my dealer said its a known issue. Good luck!

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Have them check your ball joints. I have a 21 and the steering wasn't right. Brought it in and apparently the factory is releasing them with loose ball joints, my dealer said its a known issue. Good luck!
Not the loose ball joints......AGAIN!
Sponsored