TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Picture of your jeep? And still? Bring it back or call jeep cares id say
At this point I’d rather just trade this thing in. I’m tired of driving on the highway chasing straight lines and white knuckling it
Sponsored

rubited19

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL
Has anyone had the steering issue with a dead spot on a 21? Ans any luck having the gearbox replaced under warranty?

rubited19

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL
My JLURD that was born in April ‘21, had horrible steering. I engaged Jeep Care prior to any appointments, so they were tracking any progress. After a total of 3 dealership appointments at 2 dealers. 2 service managers and multiple technicians said there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. I asked Jeep Care if they would approve a steering box replacement, which was approved with the stipulation that they were washing their hands of me if my issues were not corrected and satisfactory to me. Well, it worked and I’m happy with my steering now. It drives great! Also, feels good to know that the service personnel were wrong and I was right all along. I did not gloat or anything. Just happy to enjoy the vehicle finally.
do you happen to have a part number or easy access to see it on the new gearbox that worked?

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Has anyone had the steering issue with a dead spot on a 21? Ans any luck having the gearbox replaced under warranty?
There is a way to adjust the dead spot on the steering gearboxes. It’s not hard to do but when you make small adjustments so you don’t over tighten the gears.

Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
There is a way to adjust the dead spot on the steering gearboxes. It’s not hard to do but when you make small adjustments so you don’t over tighten the gears.
Theres a way to tighten the dead spot?🤌🏻 Is it tightening something under the hood?

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
I'm pretty sure the new gearbox used for the TSB is the one that comes in the 21... Hopefully they made some other tweaks and corrections.. Would be curious to hear from 21 owners.

hilldweller11

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 3.6 MT
Mine is not a 21, it's a 19 2 door Rubicon MT. In the shop for the 5th time for the steering issue, and about to have a 3rd steering box replacement installed. The wandering issues and stable tracking are improved after repairs the dealer (same one) has made, but there has always been 2" dead spot in the center.

The dead spot is there regardless of whether it's moving or parked / not running. At highway speeds it's a big concern, where you have to make a pretty big movement of the steering wheel due to the dead spot. I will say that it does track pretty well now and doesn't try to head to the ditch anymore. 70mph on the highway with wind or truck traffic passing and it isn't a very comfortable situation due to the play in the steering.

The only differences from stock I have are JCR bumpers and a winch, and 315 KO2's. If I can't get this resolved I think I'll start looking into an alternative vehicle, don't know what. Bummer.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Mine is not a 21, it's a 19 2 door Rubicon MT. In the shop for the 5th time for the steering issue, and about to have a 3rd steering box replacement installed. The wandering issues and stable tracking are improved after repairs the dealer (same one) has made, but there has always been 2" dead spot in the center.

The dead spot is there regardless of whether it's moving or parked / not running. At highway speeds it's a big concern, where you have to make a pretty big movement of the steering wheel due to the dead spot. I will say that it does track pretty well now and doesn't try to head to the ditch anymore. 70mph on the highway with wind or truck traffic passing and it isn't a very comfortable situation due to the play in the steering.

The only differences from stock I have are JCR bumpers and a winch, and 315 KO2's. If I can't get this resolved I think I'll start looking into an alternative vehicle, don't know what. Bummer.
Damn you gave a 5th a charm? Im going once more that will be my 3rd time than seeing my options afterwards depending upon results. I do understand your pain though.

Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Theres a way to tighten the dead spot?🤌🏻 Is it tightening something under the hood?
Yes just google Jeep JL/JT steering gearbox adjustment. You can actually tighten the gears on the gearbox with a few minor adjustments. But remember to make small corrections as over tightening it can cause premature wear.

rubited19

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL
I found some good videos but can’t break the set screw free from the lock but….I gave up trying before I strip the allen nut…. : (

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Yes just google Jeep JL/JT steering gearbox adjustment. You can actually tighten the gears on the gearbox with a few minor adjustments. But remember to make small corrections as over tightening it can cause premature wear.
Id rather play dumb and bring it to dealer so they have less to say incase they check and notice it was tampered.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Id rather play dumb and bring it to dealer so they have less to say incase they check and notice it was tampered.
I understand. I would have them replace your gearbox but in the event the new one still has slop this is a fix to adjust it. I know several that have done this to verify it helps and then reset to the oem markings to have the dealer replace the aluminum gearbox with the steel. I know on my JL the new gearbox made a big difference. I have an appt next week to have the one in my Gladiator replaced. I also installed the longer Mopar control arms to allow for more caster.
Sponsored