Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Just got my Jeep back this evening. Wow! What difference!

They replaced the steering box and did a reflash.

The steering has a nice weight now.

I saw the invoice to FCA: it was $786 for parts and labor.
Did you go from aluminum to steel , or steel to steel?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With the steering now fixed, next I have to figure out how to help my Jeep improve its fuel economy.

I was getting 11 MPG earlier this week; I was mildly traumatized by it!

After resetting the tire size, the transmission is now shifting into higher gears and am now able to average 15 MPG. I need to figure out how to bring that figure into the high teens.

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2013 C63 AMG
Occupation
Technology
Well, just got the wrangler back and whoa what a difference in steering feel and control. It’s an even more drastic difference than I had hoped… night and day. My dealer was really gracious about doing the repair out of warranty and asked only that I pay for the alignment. I thought that was very fair as they very well could have told me to go F myself. Super cool of them. I really hope there isn’t some sort of regression back to crappy steering, but for the moment I am thrilled with the results.
It is also worth calling out that Kate from @JeepCares was great to deal with.
After nearly two months with the new steering gear I am happy to say that steering is still completely acceptable. I know, I know, you are probably thinking that is not exactly a ringing endorsement. In all fairness, considering the lift and tires I have, I am still very happy with how it drives. Things have broken in a bit and slightly loosened up (as expected) but the wandering and control issues are still far from where where they were.

Sponsored

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
With the steering now fixed, next I have to figure out how to help my Jeep improve its fuel economy.

I was getting 11 MPG earlier this week; I was mildly traumatized by it!

After resetting the tire size, the transmission is now shifting into higher gears and am now able to average 15 MPG. I need to figure out how to bring that figure into the high teens.
Yes we were talking in the other thread. Arent you on a lift and 35’s? I didnt ask How are your driving conditions hilly or flat?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Any advice on getting a second steel steering box replaced? I replaced the aluminum box in June 2021 but steering did not improve. It tracks straight but there is still a dead spot. My dealer said he won't replace another box. I am thinking of purchasing the box and installing it myself but want to avoid that route. Will replace drag link and tie rod by winter.

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Any advice on getting a second steel steering box replaced? I replaced the aluminum box in June 2021 but steering did not improve. It tracks straight but there is still a dead spot. My dealer said he won't replace another box. I am thinking of purchasing the box and installing it myself but want to avoid that route. Will replace drag link and tie rod by winter.
🤣 ive had the update with aluminum , flash with steel box and now going for i dont know what they’re going to do. Right now my toe in and caster is on the money, but my camber is messed up maybe they put those camber sleeves 🤷🏻‍♂️, but if you have it under warranty i suggest you call jeepcares if they arent willing to replace the steering box or do something. Im going to request them take it apart and put new parts butnill have to see how it goes😭

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes we were talking in the other thread. Arent you on a lift and 35’s? I didnt ask How are your driving conditions hilly or flat?
Yes, Mopar lift and 35s.

Western Washington state is pretty mountainous, although the immediate vicinity is mostly "hilly."

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
Yes, Mopar lift and 35s.

Western Washington state is pretty mountainous, although the immediate vicinity is mostly "hilly."
I’d say if your doing a lot of incline driving that could be it because when i had 33’s and was in pa doing inclines it was a little rough on the 3.45 and with the 35’s id probably want to avoid it😂😳

Sponsored

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
I just brought my 18jl in and got it back for this steering and other issues...... did this tsb number change? Mine says 08-003-21

TheAnimal

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl
Is this the first time you went to dealer for steering issue? And did you get a new steering box or just the tsb update?
It’s in the picture......yes first time..... that’s my paperwork..... says gear...... it’s still miserable if you ask me..... it’s like I drive a frigan yacht....... it is lifted from the dealer and came that way

Chief20

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Jl
It’s in the picture......yes first time..... that’s my paperwork..... says gear...... it’s still miserable if you ask me..... it’s like I drive a frigan yacht....... it is lifted from the dealer and came that way
Picture of your jeep? And still? Bring it back or call jeep cares id say
Sponsored