hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, just got the wrangler back and whoa what a difference in steering feel and control. It’s an even more drastic difference than I had hoped… night and day. My dealer was really gracious about doing the repair out of warranty and asked only that I pay for the alignment. I thought that was very fair as they very well could have told me to go F myself. Super cool of them. I really hope there isn’t some sort of regression back to crappy steering, but for the moment I am thrilled with the results.
It is also worth calling out that Kate from @JeepCares was great to deal with.
Glad to hear they took care of you 👍🏻
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well, my month old JL (bought 7/21] has the loose, wandering steering also…”They all do that” according to my “great” dealer...
I would be happy to help you out here, AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler. Send our team a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

nmsjl

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
So, if you install the kit yourself and all steering issues are fixed, is it necessary to take it to the dealer for programming?
I've put a few hundred miles on mine since the upgrade and I have no more dead spot, no wandering and no more pulling to the right. I have not been to the dealer for the programming yet

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Well, just got the wrangler back and whoa what a difference in steering feel and control. It’s an even more drastic difference than I had hoped… night and day. My dealer was really gracious about doing the repair out of warranty and asked only that I pay for the alignment. I thought that was very fair as they very well could have told me to go F myself. Super cool of them. I really hope there isn’t some sort of regression back to crappy steering, but for the moment I am thrilled with the results.
It is also worth calling out that Kate from @JeepCares was great to deal with.
Are you talking about having them install the steel stearing box per the TSB or are you talking about something else or in addition to that?

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Pitman arm nut loosened up TWICE!

I had my 2019 Rubicon in for the 68507569-AA gearbox in December of 2020. Steering feel was noticeably heavier at low speeds afterward. Wander and constant corrections were noticeably improved, but not night and day like some have described. Steering is still light, but it does track straight and I could live with it. Recently, I noticed a "slipping" feel at times that would occur through a few inches of travel - definitely something had changed after seven months. That started around two weeks ago. Last week, I noticed a slight "clunk" at times. I did some troubleshooting underneath and found that the pitman arm nut had become loose enough for me to move with just my fingers. I know that the torque specs are way up there - maybe 184 lb ft. It has to be one of the most torqued nuts on the vehicle. Even though the steering shaft is tapered and the pitman arm requires a puller to remove, there is a reason that huge nut is there. I'm surprised that it isn't backed up with some kind of safety mechanism like a cotter pin.

So I took it to the dealer that did the gearbox replacement and asked them to verify that the splines were not damaged and to take a look and get it tightened up. They got it in that morning and put thread locker on it and torqued it to spec. I drove up to North GA afterward for a couple of hours for some light wheeling on forest service roads. Before the trip back, I took a look underneath just to be safe and, sure enough, the nut had loosened up again. I don't have a socket that big, so I did the best I could with an adjustable wrench and marked it with a Sharpie. I drove conservatively and pulled over several times and checked it. It did not loosen up on the drive home (1 hr at highway speeds). I got it back into the dealer Monday and also opened a case with Jeep customer service. The dealership said that they have a Star case opened. Today, the dealership says that the Jeep engineers recommended replacing the nut. Not sure what that's going to do, but I'm going along with it for now. My thought is that something may be amiss within the gearbox that is putting undue pressure on the nut in certain conditions. An out-of-round steering input from the column to the shaft or the shaft itself - who knows. All I know is that I am glad I caught it and that the nut didn't come off and the pitman arm finally work its way off the shaft splines. It's one thing to have a problem with a 12K mile vehicle like a squeaking hard top or a blown speaker - quite another to have a problem where the steering is coming apart. Steering is JL's Achilles heel, as we know. I'll update this thread once I can confirm the problem and the fix.
Great post. Thanks for all of the info. I look forward to hearing if the new bolt fixes this.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Thanks to everyone's contribution to this thread. I got my 2018 JLUS back from the dealer yesterday with the new box installed and the feel is greatly improved. I followed everyone advice here, cycled the steer wheel several times, check the fluid, made sure the box was black steel not aluminum, looked for the old bolts and everything appears to be have been done correctly the first time.

I think the steering gear replacement helps resale. A steel vs aluminum box on an out of warrantee Jeep has to help resale for informed buyers.
8 months later from the new steering box and all is well. Drove over 1,000 miles last weekend and the Jeep drove like a dream, no slop on the highway, tracking centerline, no drifting and the drive was very relaxing as far as steering goes. Highly recommend pushing to get the box replaced if you have sloppy steering.

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2013 C63 AMG
Occupation
Technology
Are you talking about having them install the steel stearing box per the TSB or are you talking about something else or in addition to that?
Just the steel steering box included with the TSB.

KTM

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2007 Porsche Cayman
Occupation
Investments
So is there a consensus on what exactly has to be done to fix this issue? I had my 2020 JLUR in the shop all last week and got it back but the steering was no different. This is what they did:

973E8027-9B92-451F-8F23-8940677B9D95.png

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So is there a consensus on what exactly has to be done to fix this issue? I had my 2020 JLUR in the shop all last week and got it back but the steering was no different. This is what they did:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 973E8027-9B92-451F-8F23-8940677B9D95
Do you have a copy of the alignment data?

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Also don’t see the IShaft bolt mentioned, which is part of TSB
Sure, but that isn't the problem. My dealer also mounted my steering box with all the original bolts. They are incapable of reading, but it doesn't cause a steering problem.

KTM

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2007 Porsche Cayman
Occupation
Investments
Do you have a copy of the alignment data?
I do not. The dealer and/or service advisor I’m using are terrible apparently. They ordered what seems like maybe the correct part, never called me when it came in, so when I called months later to check on status they said the parts are in, but apparently these clowns didn’t install the original parts they ordered. Im not sure if service writers are compensated on starting new “tickets” and or trying to pad on things they get paid on under warranty by Jeep but this has been a massive waste of time with this dealer.

Here is what they originally ordered:

A5E17197-DF8B-43E4-97A2-2926287D6A39.png

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Sure, but that isn't the problem. My dealer also mounted my steering box with all the original bolts. They are incapable of reading, but it doesn't cause a steering problem.
Left loose can cause slop. That’s why I mentioned. 👍🏻

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Well, my month old JL (bought 7/21] has the loose, wandering steering also…”They all do that” according to my “great” dealer...
Did you ever sort this out?
My understanding is that the Jeeps now have the new gear box from the factory (and all other recommended fixes).
Obvious question, but did you adjust the tire pressure? Tires are overinflated from the factory which often causes wandering etc.
Sponsored