Sponsored

coljl

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Anniversary Edition
I have a 2021 JL 80th edition with the steering issue - what is latest TSB for the 2021?

PLEASE REPORT THIS ISSUE TO THE NHTSA - SEE ATTACHED - IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES AND IF THERE IS ENOUGH OF US COMPLAINING THEY WILL REACT.

Tell them about any close calls or actual accidents to elevate our complaint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I got the steering box tsb done today (AB box). While the loose steering and wondering are improved, the steering is extremely stiff while turning the wheel to the left, and extremely light while turning to the right.
I’ll be calling to schedule an appointment in the morning.
Anyone else experience this after getting the new steering box? possibly air in the lines or re-flash?

coljl

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None of the TSB shown here include the 2021 models JL - anybody have one that does?

Sponsored

Cahlheim

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2013 C63 AMG
Occupation
Technology
@JeepCares
If we brought the vehicle in for steering issues (damper fix while in warranty) and it never really fixed the steering issues, are customers really on the hook to pay for the fix in TSB 08-003-21?
It would have been nice to know there really was a more appropriate fix available prior to my warranty expiring 4k miles ago.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to get this TSB done but the dealership is saying Mopar might not cover it because I have a 3.5 in lift.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to get this TSB done but the dealership is saying Mopar might not cover it because I have a 3.5 in lift.
The TSB has language that states, lifted jeeps qualify as long as they are within specs. There has been many 3.5” lifts getting the TSB. Shoot jeepcares a msg and get it on file with them.

coljl

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I know the 2021 models have the updated power steering box. You may need more caster.
I took it in and they installed the steering box AB but still having the problem. TSB 08-074-20 does not include 2021"s.

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
2021's don't qualify. This is specific to 2018-2020 JL and JT (Gladiator's). And per the note in the TSB: "This Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) repair will NOT correct a sustained steering shake, shimmy or vibration." But it does involve replacing the steering gear and updating the Electric Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) software.

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I got the steering box tsb done today (AB box). While the loose steering and wondering are improved, the steering is extremely stiff while turning the wheel to the left, and extremely light while turning to the right.
I’ll be calling to schedule an appointment in the morning.
Anyone else experience this after getting the new steering box? possibly air in the lines or re-flash?
Update: I called the dealership this morning and took it back in. They called me this afternoon and said the new Steering box is defective and they ordered a new one. It should be in tomorrow. Thankfully the dealership has been easy to work with.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I called the dealership this morning and took it back in. They called me this afternoon and said the new Steering box is defective and they ordered a new one. It should be in tomorrow. Thankfully the dealership has been easy to work with.
Sorry to hear all the troubles. I still recommend checking torque values on everything they touch. :facepalm:

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@catabler that part number is supposed to be the most recent revision to the steel steering gear. I'm getting that one installed by the dealer in my 2021 JLUR on Tuesday. That you have a steering wander with that newest box is disconcerting to say the least...
I had an evaluation at a dealership and was told all is normal. I’m taking it to another dealership on 2 Aug.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Had the TSB done a few months ago, steering had improved but it was only temporary. The loose feeling returned about 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored