Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
So I had the TSB done back in August. Whelp, the heat has increased and the play in my steering wheel is dangerous. Also, the electronic stability service light came on. Ugh, back to the dealer I go tomorrow. Anyone had problems after the fix?
Andrea,
This is unacceptable ! in your case there are clearly lives at stake. If you have to avoid an obstacle in an emergency (even at low speed), it is certain that you cannot avoid an accident and with a very real risk for the life of the driver and the passengers !!!!!!!!!!

Did you check the number on the box ?

! Please ! Don't drive like that !
Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
So I had the TSB done back in August. Whelp, the heat has increased and the play in my steering wheel is dangerous. Also, the electronic stability service light came on. Ugh, back to the dealer I go tomorrow. Anyone had problems after the fix?
After watching your video, I strongly suggest trying a NEW Dealer for your service.

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
After watching your video, I strongly suggest trying a NEW Dealer for your service.
Check (or have the dealer check),the torque on ALL the bolts. I had my TSB done last month, it was quite an improvement over the Aluminum box, but still felt a little sloppy. So, I broke out my torque wrench and checked every bolt they may have touched...... NONE of them were even close, not even the pinch bolt, and that's maybe the most important one.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The steering wheel should be straight, not canted off at the absurd angle yours is. That's insane.

Go in and get the TSBs redone or updated, and make sure they do a reflash of the chassis computer as that's somehow linked in with the steering.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
This brain fade Jeep had on the design and build of the 2018-2020 JLs borders on criminal. Having owned and struggled with a 2018 JL, I have nothing but empathy for all JL owners who have ANY SLOP in the steering wheel.

Jeep knows this is a recall waiting to happen. Right now, they're doing it as a voluntary TSB. It should be escalated to a recall. Blame NTSB for that lapse.

If you have any slop in your steering wheel, get a note pad and go through this thread post by post and write down all the important tips offered. They all make a difference.

I had to go through two dealers before the slop in my 2018's wheel was tamed (not eliminated) enough for me to feel a little safer. It's a perfect storm of design, testing and quality control issues that leaves us, the owners, vulnerable to crashes and serious losses.

It's not a cute little "Jeep thing"

Sponsored

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
So, I did a search for my steering box code (P68507574AB) and came up empty. I have the wander issue on a JLURD that was just built 2 months ago. Anybody have some insight on this part number and if it’s aluminum or steel?
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") C0E61C7B-524C-4661-8D65-0C585B45CF10

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
@catabler that part number is supposed to be the most recent revision to the steel steering gear. I'm getting that one installed by the dealer in my 2021 JLUR on Tuesday. That you have a steering wander with that newest box is disconcerting to say the least...

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@catabler that part number is supposed to be the most recent revision to the steel steering gear. I'm getting that one installed by the dealer in my 2021 JLUR on Tuesday. That you have a steering wander with that newest box is disconcerting to say the least...
Sorry to cause some concern. I’ll let you know what I find out when I find out. Without my wife knowing how I felt about the steering, she told me, “Yeah, I don’t like driving that thing.” She explained exactly what I was feeling.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Sorry to cause some concern. I’ll let you know what I find out when I find out. Without my wife knowing how I felt about the steering, she told me, “Yeah, I don’t like driving that thing.” She explained exactly what I was feeling.
What tire psi are you running? Check when cold.

Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I've got a 2019 with the aluminum box. Ive been driving Jeeps for so long maybe I am immune to these idiosyncrasies in the steering. Is this something that I would definitely notice or is it hit and miss by Jeep?
I had the box replaced on my 2019 JLUR. The steering wasn’t terrible before the swap like some of stories here but it wasn’t good either. I did notice an improvement but still doesn’t handle as well as my Tacoma, nor did I expect it to. I have a 2.5” lift and 35’s. All said I’m glad I had it done.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I had the box replaced on my 2019 JLUR. The steering wasn’t terrible before the swap like some of stories here but it wasn’t good either. I did notice an improvement but still doesn’t handle as well as my Tacoma, nor did I expect it to. I have a 2.5” lift and 35’s. All said I’m glad I had it done.
Thanks Rudy. Did you complain to the service writer about the steering thus prompting him to swap?

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Thanks Rudy. Did you complain to the service writer about the steering thus prompting him to swap?
I just brought it to the dealer and complained about the amount of steering wander. I mentioned the TSB and wanted to know if I qualified for the new box. They told me to drop it off and they would evaluate it. Later that day they called and said it qualifies and they had the parts in stock, so I had it done. It was actually very easy.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Good for you!
It took me 8 months with the help of a lawyer :angry: