Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
There is no mechanical difference between the Steel AA and AB except for a small manufacturing change that doesn’t affect performance. Earlier 2021’s came with the AA but it seems that later 2021’s come with the AB.

Once again, the two steel boxes are the same in terms of performance and functionality.
What was the manufacturing change?
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Took my 2019 to the dealer for the first time yesterday, and mentioned the steering was loose and wandered on the highway.

From all the other stories of folks having to battle with dealers and getting lawyers involved, I was expecting the worst. Especially since I have the Mopar lift and aftermarket track bars and control arms.

They called me and asked if they could keep it overnight to replace the steering box.

Ugh let me see... Yes!

Picked it up a couple hours ago, and while still not perfect, definitely improved. Went from about 2 inches or so of play in the center, to about an inch. It also feels a lot more responsive at lower speeds in the corners.

It sounds like these boxes have some manufacturing tolerances in the way they are adjusted, and I could probably tighten it up a bit still if I'm feeling adventurous. But I'm happy enough with it now.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Ensure they upgrade the computer to have the 70F steering reflash. Very important little part of the steering TSB.
The good news is:
I traded in my 2018 JLUS for a 2021 JLR (2 dr). I got a fair deal from La Porte Jeep in Indiana.
The bad news is:
The 2018, after 9 trips to the dealer, 2 steering TSBs, a reflash, and an alignment, the on-center steering slop never completely went away. The steering feel between a much 'fixed' 2018 JLU and the 2021 JLR is like a 40 year old car and a brand new one. No comparison.

I'm very happy (and poorer) to have the new Rubicon. They old 2018 was just junk engineering, bad quality control, and a terrible band aid fix.

Only buy a 2021 or newer!

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
The good news is:
I traded in my 2018 JLUS for a 2021 JLR (2 dr). I got a fair deal from La Porte Jeep in Indiana.
The bad news is:
The 2018, after 9 trips to the dealer, 2 steering TSBs, a reflash, and an alignment, the on-center steering slop never completely went away. The steering feel between a much 'fixed' 2018 JLU and the 2021 JLR is like a 40 year old car and a brand new one. No comparison.

I'm very happy (and poorer) to have the new Rubicon. They old 2018 was just junk engineering, bad quality control, and a terrible band aid fix.

Only buy a 2021 or newer!
I haven't read every page in this thread, but what parts have changed in 2021?

Sponsored

rutroe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Eco Diesel
Took mine to the dealer this morning and brought them the TSB. Service writer found an updated version from this past January for the diesel JL. Tech drove the vehicle and ordered the parts. They came in at 1:30PM today unfortunately the tech didn't get finished with it so it'll supposedly be ready in the morning. Hope it works.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I haven't read every page in this thread, but what parts have changed in 2021?
In 2018, Jeep came out with the all-new JL. It had, as one of many new features, an aluminum cased steering gear. It was supposed to be lighter and would work in conjunction with the new electo-hydraulic computer monitored steering system.

The aluminum steering box changed dimensions too much with changing temperatures which resulted in severe hydraulic control issues. The first TSB, which came out in 2020, replaced all the aluminum boxes with iron boxes to eliminate the control issues. This TSB requires a refreshing of the chassis computer which is linked to the steering. My local dealer did all the TSB changes EXCEPT the reflashing which was finally done by the Reno, NV dealer later.

All the updates to the steering and alignment done by my local dealer made little difference to the 2" of on-center slop my 2018 JLUS had continuously. Picture correcting your driving line while in a sweeper and having to move the wheel 2" out and then 2" back to effect a minor adjustment at 65 mph.

The first TSB did not correct the poorly programmed robotic welding of the frame which left welding splatter on mounting surfaces. This splatter prohibited solid mounting of components including the steering box. I also heard there were joins not welded which should have been, but that was never officially identified.

The next TSB, which came out at the beginning of 2021, replaced the front track bar because the bushings were wearing prematurely. That TSB helped in-corner stability and cross wind stability. It didn't remove the instability, but it did lessen it.

By 2021 drives like a normal car with no uncertain wandering and no on-center slop in the wheel. Whatever gremlins still living in my 2018 are still there. Perhaps I am too particular about how my cars handle, or maybe I was simply unwilling to accept the faulty steering design and manufacturing failures as "...being a Jeep thing."

Supposedly, 2021 is the year they finally imbedded all the fixes. Mine feels like they were successful.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Took mine to the dealer this morning and brought them the TSB. Service writer found an updated version from this past January for the diesel JL. Tech drove the vehicle and ordered the parts. They came in at 1:30PM today unfortunately the tech didn't get finished with it so it'll supposedly be ready in the morning. Hope it works.
Ensure they reflash the chassis computer!

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
@Dusty what is your 2021 build date? Mine is January 2021, and my steering is less than confident. It wanders more than it should, in my opinion. My 2018 JKU Willys was firm and straight, but this JLUR requires regular correction at highway speeds.

Sponsored

rutroe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Eco Diesel
Update. Driving home from the dealer this morning, the steering felt more responsive with no dead spot. It drives like a Jeep now. Doesn't take 2 hands to keep it centered in a lane. Took pictures of the old box and the new one. Part # P68336245AB was replaced with part # P68507574AA. Software was also flashed according to the receipt.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
@Dusty what is your 2021 build date? Mine is January 2021, and my steering is less than confident. It wanders more than it should, in my opinion. My 2018 JKU Willys was firm and straight, but this JLUR requires regular correction at highway speeds.
My build date was Feb 7, 2021.

If you have any play in your steering wheel, take it in for warranty correction. It could need a computer reflash or an alignment. Generally, if a car wanders or darts around on the highway it's because the toe is not set properly. If there's any cupping on the inside or outside of your front tires it's because the toe is too far in or out. It's a very minor adjustment but very important. If you banged around off road it might be the toe.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Update. Driving home from the dealer this morning, the steering felt more responsive with no dead spot. It drives like a Jeep now. Doesn't take 2 hands to keep it centered in a lane. Took pictures of the old box and the new one. Part # P68336245AB was replaced with part # P68507574AA. Software was also flashed according to the receipt.
Congratulations! They got it right. Enjoy your 'new' GP!

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
The dealer did just the opposite part number swap for my jeep to correct the steering slop. Went from the “AA“ to the updated part ending in “AB”.
I had 3-4” of steering slop, now only 1” of play.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
My build date was Feb 7, 2021.

If you have any play in your steering wheel, take it in for warranty correction. It could need a computer reflash or an alignment. Generally, if a car wanders or darts around on the highway it's because the toe is not set properly. If there's any cupping on the inside or outside of your front tires it's because the toe is too far in or out. It's a very minor adjustment but very important. If you banged around off road it might be the toe.
No off-roading. 1800 miles of mostly interstate.

Have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. 👍
Sponsored