hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I was unable to decide if I had a steering problem or not. Sometimes it felt like wind was pushing us around... Occasional near accidents when adjusting the radio... Finally I saw some things in this thread that resonated: the mention of having to constantly make small corrections, and this video (thank you for posting) which I definitely could not replicate. Took to the dealer today, they’ll have the parts and install tomorrow. They were not concerned that it was lifted.
Mine wasn’t that bad before TSB but it definitely improved after. Much tighter and to be honest it was a windy day here in DFW when I took that vid. Good luck. Which dealer?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Mine wasn’t that bad before TSB but it definitely improved after. Much tighter and to be honest it was a windy day here in DFW when I took that vid. Good luck. Which dealer?
Ok good to know, my fingers are crossed :). We’re down on the South side of Dallas so Waxahachie Jeep is the closest to us.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok good to know, my fingers are crossed :). We’re down on the South side of Dallas so Waxahachie Jeep is the closest to us.
Good to hear they didn’t push back on lift. Same for me, nothing said about lift and 37s.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked her up this evening. Driving home it felt significantly worse than before. 2-3" dead spot, wheel shimmy over a bump... was thinking ohhhh great. Went back, to service department. While waiting for the tech to come out I found the trackbar bolt on the frame side extremely loose. I asked them to tighten that and straighten the steering wheel. It was apparent they didn't test drive it after the installation. When they brought it back out it drove WAYYYY better. No more small adjustments or wandering. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Picked her up this evening. Driving home it felt significantly worse than before. 2-3" dead spot, wheel shimmy over a bump... was thinking ohhhh great. Went back, to service department. While waiting for the tech to come out I found the trackbar bolt on the frame side extremely loose. I asked them to tighten that and straighten the steering wheel. It was apparent they didn't test drive it after the installation. When they brought it back out it drove WAYYYY better. No more small adjustments or wandering. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
Hate to say it Brad but I would check torque on everything they swapped. Mine drove fine but the 4 bolts for steering gear and the IShaft bolt were not even close to spec. Glad it was TB and now drives good :like:

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hate to say it Brad but I would check torque on everything they swapped. Mine drove fine but the 4 bolts for steering gear and the IShaft bolt were not even close to spec. Glad it was TB and now drives good :like:
Probably a good idea. Thanks for that plan of attack.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
What’s the part number ending in? “AA” or “AB”?
Carefully pull back the driver’s fender well. See pics
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1621122192404
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1621122223396

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the paperwork has a number ending in AB, may be a bit before I can get out to look at it. Do you know the difference off hand?

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
the paperwork has a number ending in AB, may be a bit before I can get out to look at it. Do you know the difference off hand?
Mine ends in AA and I have 2-3” of play. My Rubi is a 2021. Production date 10/28/2020.
I’m wondering if I should fight for the AB if that in fact fixes the sloppy steering.
Here’s mine:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1621130243394

If you would, please check your actual part. It’s very easy to find.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 81BEC92D-3A31-425E-8A04-D16A833D0B92

yep it’s an xxxxABpart number

I asked my wife to take it out again and get a second opinion of sorts. We stayed close to home so could only do 55’ish but she was like - oh yeah much better.

Sponsored

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Mine ends in AA and I have 2-3” of play. My Rubi is a 2021. Production date 10/28/2020.
I’m wondering if I should fight for the AB if that in fact fixes the sloppy steering.
Here’s mine:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 81BEC92D-3A31-425E-8A04-D16A833D0B92

If you would, please check your actual part. It’s very easy to find.
Wait, are they replacing them on the 21's too? My 21 is worse than my 19 was....

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
A follow up on mine. I took it back to the dealer Thursday after getting the tsb done in April. Had loose steering and other weird loose steering feel. They took it back and tightened all the steer components and did another alignment. It has been waaay better since.

Drove on the highway and no steering play. Input feels more responsive. Tracks straight and feels like a normal vehicle now. I think techs get lazy at the end of the job and may not take the time to ensure things are torqued down. Instead of just swapping parts.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Today I installed the Synergy Sector Shaft Brace Track Bar Bracket along with the longer Mopar LCAs (two months after steering TSB). The results were pretty good. I thing the bracket does do a good job holding down the steering. The added castor is giving me less side to side drift on highways. My suspension is stock (non Rubicon) with a .5 in spacer in the front to level out the brake for my metal bumper upgrade later.

I definitely recommend the longer LCAs. Makes it track straighter at higher speed and cost only 60 bucks. This should've been stock from factory for non Rubicons.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the part number ending in? “AA” or “AB”?
Carefully pull back the driver’s fender well. See pics
"AB" for me and a change only a few weeks ago (but with 8 months of waiting and claims at FCA!)

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
From the time that I learned of the TSB until installed was about 6 months. I would still be waiting if not for the efforts of @JeepCares.
for me 8 months of waiting and claiming at FCA...
Sponsored