Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Iā€™m really tempted to loosen that nut and tighten the bolt a little with an Allen wrench. Just afraid to go too much and make things worse.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m really tempted to loosen that nut and tighten the bolt a little with an Allen wrench. Just afraid to go too much and make things worse.
I get it. Not many on here fans of relocation brackets on front. Especially since stock TBs are pretty light weight. The adjustable TBs are pretty easy to install. Have you measured to see how far your front axle shifted to the drivers side? Iā€™m guessing 1/2ā€ with 2.5ā€ spacers. Would need to shift back a 1/4ā€ to center axle. Not saying you need it for sure but the strength of the aftermarket adj TBs and getting axle centered is beneficial to the overall handling and steadiness IMHO.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
SO SORRY. I responded to wrong thread

ignore everything I said earlier LOL

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How long did everyone have to wait for parts to get in? My dealership agreed and said the gearbox needed to be replaced but they were on restriction for ordering the gearbox and were only allowed to order one per week and wouldnā€™t be able to order mine until this coming work week. Also said it would take until the end of May beginning of June for the parts to come in.
I just had steering box, track bar & steering damper replaced along with some other warranty work. I originally went to a dealer back in early February and was told they first had to do the damper because it was a recall item and they could only do one a week (i was number 6 in line). I kept following up once we reached the six week mark and most of the time the service advisor wouldn't return my calls. Once I finally reached him he stated it was now on back order and it could be late May or June before it was available. I got so fed up with the BS i called another dealer the following Monday which is further away and told them what was happening. They were able to get the damper the next day and my Jeep was at their dealership on Wednesday. How the hell could one dealer get a part within one day and another said they weren't available anywhere?? Like i mentioned they also replaced the steering gear and trackbar. I have a 2018 JLUR and i still have some wondering at highway speeds. It definately feels more stable when hitting bumps at all speeds, but the wondering is still there at highway speeds. Should I try to have the dealership adjust the box any? I have stock suspension and have only changed wheels / tires to 35's.

Sponsored

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition

Let us know how this goes. I would like to do some small increment adjustment on mine as well (when the weather gets warmer).

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You will void the warranty on the steering box if you do. There's a very specific process to adjust the gears in the steering box. If you don't have the knowledge, or at least have the procedures in a service manual, I would suggest you leave this adjustment to a pro.

If you don't adjust the gears correctly, you can cause damage to them which will necessitate another replacement box.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
You will void the warranty on the steering box if you do. There's a very specific process to adjust the gears in the steering box. If you don't have the knowledge, or at least have the procedures in a service manual, I would suggest you leave this adjustment to a pro.

If you don't adjust the gears correctly, you can cause damage to them which will necessitate another replacement box.
And thatā€™s precisely why Iā€™m not going to touch it lol! I asked my dealer to adjust it slightly but they declined saying that itā€˜s ā€œpre-setā€. They seem afraid too to adjust it.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
And thatā€™s precisely why Iā€™m not going to touch it lol! I asked my dealer to adjust it slightly but they declined saying that itā€˜s ā€œpre-setā€. They seem afraid too to adjust it.
I think FCA doesn't allow them to do it, though there is a procedure somewhere in this thread showing exactly how to do it and the tolerance specs. I just took mine to a different dealer to see if they can fix the dead spot whether that be a new box, adjustment, correct software update, etc. I just don't have much faith in the first dealer who did the work.

davis53

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Many thanks to "Jeep Cares" for the help with the TSB replacing the steering gear on my Rubicon. It is scheduled to be replaced next week.

Jerry gets results, and kept me up to date. Thank you.

Sponsored

JerseyDIrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Got the TSB done, I confirmed all parts replaced according to the TSB, including the newest "AB" box, but the steering feels no better than before. Jeep still wanders, and now the steering is much heavier, requiring more force to turn the wheel at normal driving speeds. This is very frustrating. How can I confirm that the software update was actually installed? Dealer claims they did it, but I'd like to be sure.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Got the TSB done, I confirmed all parts replaced according to the TSB, including the newest "AB" box, but the steering feels no better than before. Jeep still wanders, and now the steering is much heavier, requiring more force to turn the wheel at normal driving speeds. This is very frustrating. How can I confirm that the software update was actually installed? Dealer claims they did it, but I'd like to be sure.
I don't think you can confirm it on your own. Welcome to the club of new box with no fix.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Check torque value of IShaft bolt (that they were supposed to replace) replaced as part of TSB. Many have reported not torqued to spec (myself included). Have read in a couple places this not tighten properly causing constant correction needed.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") AC2639A5-2A70-47BC-977C-AF10491A4225
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 903C0832-4123-4078-A294-923E85E4FA3B

JerseyDIrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Check torque value of IShaft bolt (that they were supposed to replace) replaced as part of TSB. Many have reported not torqued to spec (myself included). Have read in a couple places this not tighten properly causing constant correction needed.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 903C0832-4123-4078-A294-923E85E4FA3B
Thanks. I'll double check this tonight.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Man, all these stories make me nervous, but just got mine back yesterday night and seems much better than before. Need to take a nice long drive and verify.
Sponsored