Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
You can see at about 2.22 in the video the track bar is laying down by axle. It definitely would be in the way and as Jim mentions above not sure how you would get the puller on there. Unless they just beat it off with a sledge :facepalm:
Thus explaining why I can barely change a lightbulb 😀
Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Had the TSB done a few weeks ago and steering still feels loser than before with about 0.5-1 inch of deadspot. I checked power steering fluid and it was empty so I purchased some Mopar fluid from the dealer and topped it to the cold max line but that didn’t help much. There is no wonder and it tracks straight. I have 35s with 32 psi on 2.5in lift. Below are alignment specs and pics of the box. Any recommendations?

Edit: attaching alignment specs

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 05B7AD85-1578-4018-B7E9-B3BF44A2733A

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") DA0EE190-4720-4489-A800-BAAA2A6B9BA1

C184BC91-7FE4-4942-9744-107478824FBC.jpeg

Last edited:

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Well I picked up my Jeep, now with the 2 door steering box. I gotta say it does drive even better than the 4 door box did on it! Shocking. Since I've had a few issues with this dealer not doing the work properly I asked the service advisor about printing up the page showing that the sales code was updated. This time I was initially told that Dealer Connect takes a few days to update, so it's probably still not showing the new code. "Well that sales code should have been added a month ago when the wrong steering box was installed," I says. Service guy blinked at me then said that Dealer Connect has proprietary information on it, they're not allowed to show me anyways. I dunno, I guess I'm an asshole for double checking their work, but yet I find that it's always wrong.

Anywho.... A Jeep Cares rep has been very patient with me through this entire thing. I asked her if she has a way of finding out for me. I know it's fun to hate on Jeep Cares here, but truly I was getting no where with Autonation making this right and they even tried stonewalling my Jeep Cares rep for awhile. I would not want to be on this journey without them.

But ultimately, we're getting close boys! I have a Jeep with correct hardware on it, it drives well, what more can I ask for?
Well another update, turns out the dealer did not update the software. Good news is apparently it will take about 10 minutes, I'm just going to stop in after work today and get it knocked out so hopefully I can put this entire mess behind me. The new box already steers better, and really seems good enough to me, so I'll be curious to see if there are any noticeable improvements from just the software update. I'm sure autonation has to be sick of me by now.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Has anyone had luck getting this done on a modified jeep. They took one look at my jeep and told me there would be warranty issues. I get it but at the same time I've had it in for this when it was stock and it's not like this isnt a common problem. I had a deadspot in the steering stock and modified.

This is why I don't buy any extended warranty I usually end up fixing shit myself anyway lol.

@JeepCares

Last edited:

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
Has anyone had luck getting this done on a modified jeep. They took one look at my jeep and told me there would be warranty issues. I get it but at the same time I've had it in for this when it was stock and it's not like this isnt a common problem. I had a deadspot in the steering stock and modified.

This is why I don't buy any extended warranty I usually end up fixing shit myself anyway lol.

Thats Dealer BS. contact jeep cares your steering gear isnt modified. My dealer took care of it no questions asked on 3.5 in lift and 37s. hadnt changed any steering components at that time except for track bars

Sponsored

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Update: Just got a call from the Dealership, the parts for the TSB are in! Made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Hopefully, they got the right parts, but so far I'm impressed. I do want to thank whoever started this thread, I was just ready to live with sloppy steering & call it a Jeep thing.
Update: Dealer did everything on the TSB (although it took an extra day because they were backed up. That's ok, sh#*t happens). Steering feels much better! Don't know if it's because I got @JeepCares involved or if the dealership is that good, maybe a combination of both?...IDK, just glad it's done and done nicely! I'll surely be giving them an awesome survey if I get one.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

@JeepCares
Hi, bumpit. We see your private message and will follow up with you there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist

@JeepCares
I have a 2.5” lift with 35’s and the dealer changed the steering box with no questions. Much better now. The TSB states it applies modified vehicles.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I have a 2.5” lift with 35’s and the dealer changed the steering box with no questions. Much better now. The TSB states it applies modified vehicles.
I've got a 2.5" teraflex lift and 37s and was denied today. I've got 3 other dealerships I can go to and currently working with jeep cares so hopefully I can get it addressed. Glad your dealership worked with you!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Because @JeepCares got involved I have the new steering box. My dealer kept saying that the box wasn't available for the diesel. @JeepCares contacted the dealership and next thing you know, the unit appeared. Steering is much better and I am thankful for the assistance they provided.

Sponsored

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Agree it is minor improvements. However it is good enough where I feel more confident to do the jeep wave without flying off the road and into a ditch.
Did you check under your dashboard, after they change the new steering gear box , there is a new black small part with white light. Is your has this?

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Did you check under your dashboard, after they change the new steering gear box , there is a new black small part with white light. Is your has this?
Not quite sure what part you are referring to. Can you post a picture and what does this part do?

Mjc0010

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How long did everyone have to wait for parts to get in? My dealership agreed and said the gearbox needed to be replaced but they were on restriction for ordering the gearbox and were only allowed to order one per week and wouldn’t be able to order mine until this coming work week. Also said it would take until the end of May beginning of June for the parts to come in.

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
How long did everyone have to wait for parts to get in? My dealership agreed and said the gearbox needed to be replaced but they were on restriction for ordering the gearbox and were only allowed to order one per week and wouldn’t be able to order mine until this coming work week. Also said it would take until the end of May beginning of June for the parts to come in.
Mine took a week to come in, and I live on an Island!