Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Ok, that's good to know, thanks. So if my steering still has some slop after the TSB is done - should I insist on checking if the latest version is 70F? All I really want is eliminate the play while driving without introducing new steering issues, like pulling left/right, dead zone changes, alignment, etc.
If you have a 2020 it will not show 70F, that is only for the 18-19. The 20’s get a software update but it does not get any manual change of the sales code. When they do the system update the computer automatically checks for the newest version of the software and installs it if it doesn’t have the newest version. If you haven’t brought it in yet and you have the factory installed aux switches an easy way to tell if they ran the updates is to set your aux switches to battery and momentary. The factory default is key on latch. When you get the jeep back and check the switch settings it should show the factory settings.
Sponsored

Reactions: KNN

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
If you have a 2020 it will not show 70F, that is only for the 18-19. The 20’s get a software update but it does not get any manual change of the sales code. When they do the system update the computer automatically checks for the newest version of the software and installs it if it doesn’t have the newest version. If you haven’t brought it in yet and you have the factory installed aux switches an easy way to tell if they ran the updates is to set your aux switches to battery and momentary. The factory default is key on latch. When you get the jeep back and check the switch settings it should show the factory settings.
Problem is that my JL is just a Sport S, not a Rubikon and there are no AUX switches there to verify the codes.

I wonder if I should just ask the service guy to let me inspect the new replacement gearbox before the install is started. This way I can easily tell if the box has any slop in the gears that will translate into another free play. If the new box has a slop - I have a right to refuse the repair and ask for a replacement, right?
From my last encounter with the service guy at this dealership - he was all too busy and reluctant to discuss all the technical stuff with me and answer my questions like I was a pain in the rear. I am pretty technical myself and can easily tell a good mechanism from a bad one. Just this condescending and money-driven attitude at the dealer service department is what thwarts me from going there at times.

I just found another post on a different forum that suggests that we check the gearbox PRIOR to letting the service tech install it in our vehicle:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/bad-steering-box-68418449ae.27730/post-505663

Last edited:

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
Problem is that my JL is just a Sport S, not a Rubikon and there are no AUX switches there to verify the codes.

I wonder if I should just ask the service guy to let me inspect the new replacement gearbox before the install is started. This way I can easily tell if the box has any slop in the gears that will translate into another free play. If the new box has a slop - I have a right to refuse the repair and ask for a replacement, right?
From my last encounter with the service guy at this dealership - he was all too busy and reluctant to discuss all the technical stuff with me and answer my questions like I was a pain in the rear. I am pretty technical myself and can easily tell a good mechanism from a bad one. Just this condescending and money-driven attitude at the dealer service department is what thwarts me from going there at times.

I just found another post on a different forum that suggests that we check the gearbox PRIOR to letting the service tech install it in our vehicle:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/bad-steering-box-68418449ae.27730/post-505663
I called the dealer this morning asking if I could verify that the new steel gearbox has no free play similar to the existing aluminum box. And the service person said that the only way to verify was to have it installed. Well, we'll see, there is nothing I can do at the moment to make sure that the TSB will be done 100% right, it's like a Russian roulette.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Admittedly I haven’t read all 171 pages of this thread, but I had an unusual experience with this TSB today. After waiting a week for a “diagnostic appointment”, I brought my Jeep in to my local (purchasing) dealer this morning. 8 hours later, I got a call from my service adviser, gleefully telling me the tech determined I had “the latest and greatest” gear already installed in my Jeep and thus he just had to flash the computer. I told him I had a hard time believing that since my gear was the stock one that came with my 2018 and let him know I expected to see part numbers when I came to pick it up.

I arrived at the dealership and looked at the repair notes. It said the EPS had been flashed. No notes about sales codes or an alignment There was also a hand scribbled note with my current gear part number, the TSB required part number, and some arrows with notes about the two being the same since one part number superseded the other.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 054E224A-A09E-463A-AF1A-9460E80B723C

I politely explained to the service adviser that the fact the gear on my Jeep had been superseded did not mean it had the latest and greatest. In fact, the TSB specifically called for the new part number to be installed. He told me he had to go with what the parts department had told the tech. I read through the rest of the notes while he went to retrieve my Jeep.

Upon his return, I told him I wanted to speak with the parts guy. As luck would have it, he was gone but the parts department manager was there. I pleaded my case while the service adviser kept arguing my box had been superseded and was therefore the latest and greatest. The parts manager looked the gear up on the computer, read the copy of the TSB I had brought with me, and then the informed the adviser that I was correct. Said he didn’t understand the confusion since they had done many of these gear upgrades already. Parts are on order and should be here in a few days.

I let the adviser know I was disappointed as they’re are supposed to be the professionals. He again blamed it on the parts department. I got in my Jeep and drove off, worrying about these guys following the TSB correctly when they install the new gear...

(And yes, it was 08-003-21 that I printed and brought along as it is the “latest and greatest”)

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Admittedly I haven’t read all 171 pages of this thread, but I had an unusual experience with this TSB today. After waiting a week for a “diagnostic appointment”, I brought my Jeep in to my local (purchasing) dealer this morning. 8 hours later, I got a call from my service adviser, gleefully telling me the tech determined I had “the latest and greatest” gear already installed in my Jeep and thus he just had to flash the computer. I told him I had a hard time believing that since my gear was the stock one that came with my 2018 and let him know I expected to see part numbers when I came to pick it up.

I arrived at the dealership and looked at the repair notes. It said the EPS had been flashed. No notes about sales codes or an alignment There was also a hand scribbled note with my current gear part number, the TSB required part number, and some arrows with notes about the two being the same since one part number superseded the other.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 054E224A-A09E-463A-AF1A-9460E80B723C

I politely explained to the service adviser that the fact the gear on my Jeep had been superseded did not mean it had the latest and greatest. In fact, the TSB specifically called for the new part number to be installed. He told me he had to go with what the parts department had told the tech. I read through the rest of the notes while he went to retrieve my Jeep.

Upon his return, I told him I wanted to speak with the parts guy. As luck would have it, he was gone but the parts department manager was there. I pleaded my case while the service adviser kept arguing my box had been superseded and was therefore the latest and greatest. The parts manager looked the gear up on the computer, read the copy of the TSB I had brought with me, and then the informed the adviser that I was correct. Said he didn’t understand the confusion since they had done many of these gear upgrades already. Parts are on order and should be here in a few days.

I let the adviser know I was disappointed as they’re are supposed to be the professionals. He again blamed it on the parts department. I got in my Jeep and drove off, worrying about these guys following the TSB correctly when they install the new gear...

(And yes, it was 08-003-21 that I printed and brought along as it is the “latest and greatest”)
Where do Dealerships come up with these pieces of shit that don't have a clue ? Must be they think we as a consumer were born yesterday .

Sponsored

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
Just sharing my experiences with the local Ferman Jeep dealership here in Tampa. I came back from the dealer this noon after the TSB service was done (it took about 2.5 hrs). They did a pretty good job from what I can tell. It is definitely a positive improvement over the old gearbox, not a night and day but still a tangible difference. There is a tiny bit of play present (about 1/2") which I can live with but overall turning the steering wheel feels much easier and more precise. When driving on the highway above 60-70 the car responds much quicker where before it felt a bit like a boat.
I verified that the new gearbox is indeed cast-iron and painted black. The tech person did not reuse the old aluminum bolts and installed new steel bolts(I checked them with a magnet). They also removed Sales Code 5SY per instructions and restored the vehicle configuration. I asked about the alignment and they said it was not required as they checked the camber and toe, etc. and it was all good. I was provided with the service report paperwork for my records and it indicated that the services followed the TSB 08-003-21.
The steering fluid was all replaced too - but when checking on a hot engine - it shows just on the MIN which should be still ok but I will keep an eye on the level and get an extra bottle (19 bucks) from the dealer if I need to top it off.
Of course, the final test is still ahead and there might be something I haven't noticed yet, hopefully not. But if you have some issues and still decide whether to replace the older gearbox with the new one - I would definitely recommend that you go ahead and do it.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Just sharing my experiences with the local Ferman Jeep dealership here in Tampa. I came back from the dealer this noon after the TSB service was done (it took about 2.5 hrs). They did a pretty good job from what I can tell. It is definitely a positive improvement over the old gearbox, not a night and day but still a tangible difference. There is a tiny bit of play present (about 1/2") which I can live with but overall turning the steering wheel feels much easier and more precise. When driving on the highway above 60-70 the car responds much quicker where before it felt a bit like a boat.
I verified that the new gearbox is indeed cast-iron and painted black. The tech person did not reuse the old aluminum bolts and installed new steel bolts(I checked them with a magnet). They also removed Sales Code 5SY per instructions and restored the vehicle configuration. I asked about the alignment and they said it was not required as they checked the camber and toe, etc. and it was all good. I was provided with the service report paperwork for my records and it indicated that the services followed the TSB 08-003-21.
The steering fluid was all replaced too - but when checking on a hot engine - it shows just on the MIN which should be still ok but I will keep an eye on the level and get an extra bottle (19 bucks) from the dealer if I need to top it off.
Of course, the final test is still ahead and there might be something I haven't noticed yet, hopefully not. But if you have some issues and still decide whether to replace the older gearbox with the new one - I would definitely recommend that you go ahead and do it.
I have a 20 Sahara and I share the same initial impression of the new gearbox. Definitely not a night and day difference but it is better than before. I don't feel the tighter steering or a whining sound from the gearbox as other as attested to (whom also claims the TSB completely removed the play in the deadspot). Not sure what else can be done to make the steering even tighter or just lower my expectation for the TSB.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine back, you can tell a difference but there is still a little play, I haven't got under the Jeep yet to look at everything as I was in a rush to get back to work and it's windy and cold today. The real test will be going home to Michigan or going to move my kid out of her dorm in a few weeks since that's a 3-hour drive.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I'm dropping my Jeep off tomorrow for the TSB. I hope there are no issues getting it done. You all are scaring me with the dealer stories, just like with the service ESC and ASS light issue.

The dealer I'm using fixed the latter issue rather quickly once they got to my Jeep. I'm hoping for a similar easy outcome with this.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Put my order in for the new gearbox today and to schedule the recalls. He said he'd give me a call in 'about six weeks'. I asked if I get some type of receipt for placing the service request and he said no, we'll give you a call when it's here.

Should I hold my breath? lol It's been 40 degrees and it's not bad but today it hit 75 deg so I took a quick vid on the way to show him. That's all he needed to see. I'm tired of this boat steering...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
@tonygiotta That guy definitely does not know the definition of superseded. Amazing how one little word can change an outcome. :LOL:

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
Put my order in for the new gearbox today and to schedule the recalls. He said he'd give me a call in 'about six weeks'. I asked if I get some type of receipt for placing the service request and he said no, we'll give you a call when it's here.
My dealer service department said something similar to me. I just called every two weeks to get a status update until it was delivered. It was delivered in about 4-5 weeks.

I assume they would have called but I didn't count on it.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Going to reach out to my dealer about this next week. Did my first multi-hour highway trip in this Jeep and it was a white knuckle anxiety inducing drive. It's been fine around town, anything 65 or higher felt very difficult to keep in lane, and any vehicles passing the opposite direction caused significant involuntary swerving.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Going to reach out to my dealer about this next week. Did my first multi-hour highway trip in this Jeep and it was a white knuckle anxiety inducing drive. It's been fine around town, anything 65 or higher felt very difficult to keep in lane, and any vehicles passing the opposite direction caused significant involuntary swerving.
Yeah some have posted that vague wandering steering is a normal “Jeep thing” and get over it. But that is BS. Even though our steering was never terrible it was a bit vague but tracked dead straight. So the involuntary swerving you are experiencing should never occur.

Get your vehicle in and make sure the dealer fixes the problem properly as driving the JL should never be a white knuckle experience. We had our steering box upgraded fairly early on and posted this vid at 37psi. We purposefully moved the wheel until the JL swerved. Since have dropped to 32 and steering is even better all stock. Basically anyone who has steering issues should consider getting this done. Take a vid, bring in the TSB, and be clear what you expect done. Worked a charm for us.

Our JL now drives like a champ with near zero corrections all the time.