Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I would like to know this as well. I had my box replaced in January and they put an AA box in.
No there is not, the change was only to aid in assembly on the production line. I reached out to an engineer I know at FCA and this was the response.

“My colleague in Chassis and suspension provided me with the following: "They added a lead in chamfer for assembly. no change in performance."

When you look up the AA part number in the parts system it shows it was superseded by the AB number.
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Picked my Jeep up, steering feels tighter with less of a dead spot. I didn't have much of an opportunity to test on the drive back from the dealer due to crazy rush hour traffic but it seems to be tracking straighter. Now the concern I have is that the part listed on my paper work is 68507569AB, but I have a two door. My understanding is that the 2 door steering box part number is 68507571AB. It looks like they have different ratios. Am I wrong? Should a v6 rubicon be using 68507569AB?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Picked my Jeep up, steering feels tighter with less of a dead spot. I didn't have much of an opportunity to test on the drive back from the dealer due to crazy rush hour traffic but it seems to be tracking straighter. Now the concern I have is that the part listed on my paper work is 68507569AB, but I have a two door. My understanding is that the 2 door steering box part number is 68507571AB. It looks like they have different ratios. Am I wrong? Should a v6 rubicon be using 68507569AB?
You are correct. The 7569 is the four door box.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You are correct. The 7569 is the four door box.
Thank you, that's what I was coming up with as well but like getting a second set of eyes on it before I get worked up (English is not my first language so I sometimes misunderstand). Now... I think I know the answer to this but just to check again. Is this safe to drive? I suspect yes, but in the world of stability control and everything else I just want to check. It looks like I have full articulation of the wheels (I think) but seems I'm getting about a half less turn on the steering wheel than before.

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
Hi everyone! I emailed the closest Jeep dealer this morning about the gearbox replacement and will follow up with them tomorrow morning. Mine is made if aluminum and there is about 1" or more of freeplay in the wheel. I can't say that it is wandering when driving fast and there is no pull left or right. But the loose steering feel is something I would like to improve and make it more like my Nissan Quest.
How long does it take to get the new steel gearbox to arrive? Are there high chances that Ferman Jeep or any other dealer can push back and deny the TSB? And if they do - what are my routes?
Thanks!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hi everyone! I emailed the closest Jeep dealer this morning about the gearbox replacement and will follow up with them tomorrow morning. Mine is made if aluminum and there is about 1" or more of freeplay in the wheel. I can't say that it is wandering when driving fast and there is no pull left or right. But the loose steering feel is something I would like to improve and make it more like my Nissan Quest.
How long does it take to get the new steel gearbox to arrive? Are there high chances that Ferman Jeep or any other dealer can push back and deny the TSB? And if they do - what are my routes?
Thanks!
My understanding is that no dealer can deny you the TSB if you have the symptoms. I suppose they could say you don't have the issue, but frankly I don't know why any would do that. It's my understanding that Jeep pays the dealer to do the work, and it'd be a major customer dissatisfier (for the dealer and for Jeep) if they deny it.

I can't say how long it will take for parts. In Feb. my dealer told me August. I reached out to Jeep Cares on here who got me setup with a rep and my part showed up in March. Dealer then broke the clock spring which required more waiting and today it was confirmed that they did install the wrong steering box (they put a 4 door box in my 2 door Jeep). So I think I'm back to square one. I'd think you should probably get in line sooner rather than later. Assuming they can get the part this should be a quick process (one day should be plenty of time), but I'd just be sure you don't have any big Jeep plans for the next week or so just in case your dealer runs into trouble. If you have a 2 door or a diesel you may want to familiarize yourself with the part numbers to be sure you get the right one. (I'm not sure if I should blame the dealer for this, or if my Jeep rep pulled some strings to rush a part and a mistake was made in that process or what, but everyone involved seemed surprised there are different part numbers)

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
My understanding is that no dealer can deny you the TSB if you have the symptoms. I suppose they could say you don't have the issue, but frankly I don't know why any would do that. It's my understanding that Jeep pays the dealer to do the work, and it'd be a major customer dissatisfier (for the dealer and for Jeep) if they deny it.

I can't say how long it will take for parts. In Feb. my dealer told me August. I reached out to Jeep Cares on here who got me setup with a rep and my part showed up in March. Dealer then broke the clock spring which required more waiting and today it was confirmed that they did install the wrong steering box (they put a 4 door box in my 2 door Jeep). So I think I'm back to square one. I'd think you should probably get in line sooner rather than later. Assuming they can get the part this should be a quick process (one day should be plenty of time), but I'd just be sure you don't have any big Jeep plans for the next week or so just in case your dealer runs into trouble. If you have a 2 door or a diesel you may want to familiarize yourself with the part numbers to be sure you get the right one. (I'm not sure if I should blame the dealer for this, or if my Jeep rep pulled some strings to rush a part and a mistake was made in that process or what, but everyone involved seemed surprised there are different part numbers)
Thanks for the response, MrMischief. Sorry about your bad experiences with the repair, yes I read about them in this thread earlier. Looks like some percentage of Wrangler owners had issues with the replacement and for most, it went well. Hope it will be resolved!

That is what I am currently contemplating on as well - whether I should try to tighten up the steering torque screw on the existing gearbox or have the dealer replace it with the new steel one. I still think that the new one is better than an existing aluminum box as they opened the TSB and keep replacing them right and left, there must be something else with those older boxes that we are not aware of and it could be a safety issue. I saw lots of videos on YouTube where people just tightened up the screw on the gearbox and it reduced the steering freeplay. I can't say mine is too bad, it's like 1" or so and I can still control the vehicle on the highway but the freeplay is definitely a pain.

Yes, I printed out the TSB 5-page document and will head out to the dealer tomorrow noon with this information to discuss all my options.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Thanks for the response, MrMischief. Sorry about your bad experiences with the repair, yes I read about them in this thread earlier. Looks like some percentage of Wrangler owners had issues with the replacement and for most, it went well. Hope it will be resolved!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not all that butt hurt about my situation. Between Jeep and Autonation it will eventually be right. I do wonder if me trying to rush the part is what caused this latest headache. But really my Jeep is my play vehicle. It's not fun seeing it in the shop like this, but generally it just sits in my garage. The little bit I have driven it with this wrong box on, I can say it's definitely tighter than what it was before. I would suggest you get this new box installed, but just be aware there is the possibility of some delays from either the mechanic running into an issue or a parts problem.

My original aluminum box was fine to begin with. But during a long road trip (1200+ miles at 80 mph) it began to develop a pull to the right. I figured it was just the wind or the road but it was always there. Had an independent shop verify the alignment. Then I started noticing it varied, seemed to get worse the longer I drove then not so bad when I let it sit overnight. A service adviser initially told me it has to do with the aluminum box getting hot, expanding, and basically things moving in there a bit. I was on the fence about it as well (I still haven't gotten the steering damper replaced because I don't see a need for it) but some posts here about people having the steering lock up is what motivated me to bite the bullet on this TSB.

Sponsored

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I just received the new Box and honestly can't tell the difference....smh

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is that true that if your Wrangler is 2020 then it already has the latest steering software and they don't need to flash a new one on it?
I think it depends because they may have updated the software during the 2020 production cycle. Also, there are two different software updates mentioned in the TSB. The only way to verify is to get a print out of the Options Report that indicates it has 70f on it. Takes a dealer less than 5 minutes to hook up the laptop and print it out.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I think it depends because they may have updated the software during the 2020 production cycle. Also, there are two different software updates mentioned in the TSB. The only way to verify is to get a print out of the Options Report that indicates it has 70f on it. Takes a dealer less than 5 minutes to hook up the laptop and print it out.
There is no such thing as the 70F code for a 2020. It’s only in the 18-19.
Sponsored