Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I did a search but didn't find anything. Has anyone gotten theirs back and felt the steering to be a little sticky back and forth. I need to drive it some more but that's the feeling I think I'm getting.
Hey, TxJeepers. If you're still experiencing concerns after having the TSB performed, please let us know in private message. We would be happy to assist you.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Jl_rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just picked up my Jeep from the dealer this morning. Part number installed was listed on service paperwork as 68507569AB instead of AA which is listed on the latest TSB. Sticker on the actual steering gear confirmed AB

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Just picked up my Jeep from the dealer this morning. Part number installed was listed on service paperwork as 68507569AB instead of AA which is listed on the latest TSB. Sticker on the actual steering gear confirmed AB
Well that's new! How does the Jeep drive?

So the question now is...is there a new steering gear part that is out?! New TSB?

JeepCares - any word on an updated part?!

Anyone else see this?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Someone posted this a page or so ago, looks like there is once again a new version. Iā€™m not even sure how itā€™s possible for FCA to have made THIS many versions of a gear box over the last few years. Itā€™s not like these things havenā€™t been around for 50 years. Itā€™s really not that hard of a concept to figure out.

04B97E53-2A6D-43E9-88D1-8A3BE651B8DC.jpeg

rohithp

First Name
Rohith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020
Hi everyone need your advise..soon after the installation of new steering box, my steering will make some weird sound when i move the steering to both directions.initially i thought its coming from ac vents then i relalized its from the steering.any adivse? I live in United Arab Emirates and here jeep community is weak to get some advises.i took back to dealer again as expected they have some funny explanation.

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Someone posted this a page or so ago, looks like there is once again a new version. Iā€™m not even sure how itā€™s possible for FCA to have made THIS many versions of a gear box over the last few years. Itā€™s not like these things havenā€™t been around for 50 years. Itā€™s really not that hard of a concept to figure out.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 04B97E53-2A6D-43E9-88D1-8A3BE651B8DC
Hmm....I wonder if this is just for the 4-door...in other words, I wonder if there is a AB model for the 2-door

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Hi everyone need your advise..soon after the installation of new steering box, my steering will make some weird sound when i move the steering to both directions.initially i thought its coming from ac vents then i relalized its from the steering.any adivse? I live in United Arab Emirates and here jeep community is weak to get some advises.i took back to dealer again as expected they have some funny explanation.
I have no idea, but I have not heard that sound from my 2019 JL.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Hmm....I wonder if this is just for the 4-door...in other words, I wonder if there is a AB model for the 2-door
I donā€™t know, I just emailed one of the guys I know from FCA to see if he can give me any information on the part number change. Some times it is literally just switching manufacturing facilities. We will see if he can tell me anything.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I would be very interested to see why the other 20% are still having issues. I had a chance to play with one of these new boxes yesterday and there was still quite a bit of play in the sector shaft, I have a feeling FCA is still setting the lash on these in the loose side.
I have that suspicion as well. Mine has been replaced and spent nearly two weeks at the shop throughout the entire ordeal. It tracks well and doesn't wander but the dead spot is there and very noticeable. FCA told my shop it's within tolerance so they can't/won't do anything else.

I'd like to try modifying the lash but I'm not sure I want to give it a try. I can't see an obvious mark on this one like the paint mark on the original, so there doesn't seem to be much of a downside beyond getting the nut loose and lash adjusted.

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I have that suspicion as well. Mine has been replaced and spent nearly two weeks at the shop throughout the entire ordeal. It tracks well and doesn't wander but the dead spot is there and very noticeable. FCA told my shop it's within tolerance so they can't/won't do anything else.

I'd like to try modifying the lash but I'm not sure I want to give it a try. I can't see an obvious mark on this one like the paint mark on the original, so there doesn't seem to be much of a downside beyond getting the nut loose and lash adjusted.
If you use some solvent cleaner and wipe off the nut there actually is a blue mark. Itā€™s adjusted when it is still raw cast iron then it gets painted.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you use some solvent cleaner and wipe off the nut there actually is a blue mark. Itā€™s adjusted when it is still raw cast iron then it gets painted.
Ah, gotcha. I hadn't looked that closely but it wasn't obvious when I looked earlier.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Ah, gotcha. I hadn't looked that closely but it wasn't obvious when I looked earlier.
I have a box out of a 21 that totaled, I actually adjusted the lash and it feels pretty good on the bench. It might end up in the Jeep over the weekend.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a box out of a 21 that totaled, I actually adjusted the lash and it feels pretty good on the bench. It might end up in the Jeep over the weekend.
Good to hear. Was there much resistance in turning the hex bolt? I've read that some boxes were loctited and very difficult to turn.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Good to hear. Was there much resistance in turning the hex bolt? I've read that some boxes were loctited and very difficult to turn.
This one came loose easier than my old aluminum box. Never had to use heat on this one b
Sponsored