Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I believe that the track bar replacement only applies to units built prior to 1/22/19 and that language was already in at least revision E of the 08-74-20 TSB.

The TSB for the track bar update is listed here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-764824

Later,
Johnny
That's right.

My JLU has the original track bar.
The steering gear was replaced per the previous TSB.

The alignment was never done.
The track bar must be changed now.

Reason? Changing the steering gear is a partial fix. There's still dead-band. The wandering is much better, but not as good as it should be.

In the past I've wondered if the dealer who changed the gear re-flashed the power steering software. This whole experience has taken a year and a half now.
Frankly when the steering gear was replaced I judged it as "good enough" and "not worth any more pain and suffering at the hands of Jeep dealers."

I'm beyond frustration now. The work is incomplete. And the problem is still not solved. @JeepCares what is the solution for Jeep owners are in limbo who have had the steering gear replaced per the previous TSB?
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Yes Johnny.
Dang! So it does look like another trip to the dealer. The good news though is that this last change could get you closer to where you were hoping to be. I'm pulling for you.

Later,
Johnny

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks Johnny. The selling dealer was always polite--until I approached to have the first TSB done, with TSB in hand. But it was always the same answer. "It's a Jeep thing." First Jeep I drove was an old army Jeep in 1965. Drove it all summer then.

Wrangler is "good enough" but not right.

Last edited:

Sponsored

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Ok. So I was one of the first to get this TSB done and I had posted early on in this thread. I have not been following this thread since it but here's my update since driving around for about 6 months.

Mechanically, I feel the steering is as fixed as it's going to get. But on certain days, I am still feeling as if the steering is difficult to keep straight and point in certain directions, and that it just isn't responding accordingly. I can't say it is terrible, but it just isn't ideal.

Today for the hell of it, I turned traction control off just to see how it would be with it off and to see if it has any effect on possible electronic steer assist. It has not been confirmed, but I believe turning off traction also disables electronic steer assist. In my opinion, at low speeds and high speeds, this drastically improves the feel and makes the steering more responsive to the driver input. It seems much more consistent and easier to adapt to. I am about 90% certain that most issues everyone is having with the poor steering is just bad electronic engineering. Nothing else seems to make sense in my opinion. If the steering was a mechanical issue, it would either be terrible all the time, or completely fine all the time, in my opinion. Anyone else that has had this TSB done and still feel that their JL still doesn't steer to their liking care to try this out and report back?

To note my steering modifications are as follows:

-Mopar long LCAs
-Fox 2.0 Stabilizer
-Yeti Track bar
-Latest OEM iron steering box (this TSB)

Last edited:

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. So I was one of the first to get this TSB done and I had posted early on in this thread. I have not been following this thread since it but here's my update since driving around for about 6 months.

Mechanically, I feel the steering is as fixed as it's going to get. But on certain days, I am still feeling as if the steering is difficult to keep straight and point in certain directions, and that it just isn't responding accordingly. I can't say it is terrible, but it just isn't ideal.

Today for the hell of it, I turned traction control off just to see how it would be with it off and to see if it has any effect on possible electronic steer assist. It has not been confirmed, but I believe turning off traction also disables electronic steer assist. In my opinion, at low speeds and high speeds, this drastically improves the feel and makes the steering more responsive to the driver input. It seems much more consistent and easier to adapt to. I am about 90% certain that most issues everyone is having with the poor steering is just bad electronic engineering. Nothing else seems to make sense in my opinion. If the steering was a mechanical issue, it would either be terrible all the time, or completely fine all the time, in my opinion. Anyone else that has had this TSB done and still feel that their JL still doesn't steer to their liking care to try this out and report back?

To note my steering modifications are as follows:

-Mopar long LCAs
-Fox 2.0 Stabilizer
-Yeti Track bar
-Latest OEM iron steering box (this TSB)
I have almost the same exact setup as you and was a very early adopter of this TSB as well. Your assessment is spot on. I'm going to take mine in soon to have the dealer verify the software was updated as I think maybe it wasn't. In looking at the sales order receipt it's not listed as a line item. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't done but I want verification. Have you verified the software update? I'll also try your "trick" with the traction control and see what it does for me. The thing with this TSB was my steering was so bad before the TSB that when it was completed the change was very dramatic and I thought it was finally fixed. Every time someone else drives my Jeep they comment on how bad the steering is (although better than it was before). One difference is mine is a 2-door.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have almost the same exact setup as you and was a very early adopter of this TSB as well. Your assessment is spot on. I'm going to take mine in soon to have the dealer verify the software was updated as I think maybe it wasn't. In looking at the sales order receipt it's not listed as a line item. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't done but I want verification. Have you verified the software update? I'll also try your "trick" with the traction control and see what it does for me. The thing with this TSB was my steering was so bad before the TSB that when it was completed the change was very dramatic and I thought it was finally fixed. Every time someone else drives my Jeep they comment on how bad the steering is (although better than it was before). One difference is mine is a 2-door.
Yes, when I had the TSB performed, the service receipt mentioned that the software was flashed. I can't imagine they didn't flash yours. And if they do it now, it'll likely still feel the same.

I also just rented another 4 door JL on vacation a few weeks ago. It felt significantly better than mine was (while mine was stock), but again it would inconsistently feel difficult to control here and there.

If there is electronic steer assist, I don't want it. The whole appeal of the Wrangler to me was its simplicity. I used to love my TJ because of this. I can't even stand the god damn tire pressure monitor system, lol.

powelld353

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport
Occupation
General idiot, know nothing
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, when I had the TSB performed, the service receipt mentioned that the software was flashed. I can't imagine they didn't flash yours. And if they do it now, it'll likely still feel the same.

I also just rented another 4 door JL on vacation a few weeks ago. It felt significantly better than mine was (while mine was stock), but again it would inconsistently feel difficult to control here and there.

If there is electronic steer assist, I don't want it. The whole appeal of the Wrangler to me was its simplicity. I used to love my TJ because of this. I can't even stand the god damn tire pressure monitor system, lol.
There are other people reporting the dealership did not do the flash update after installing the new gearbox per the TSB and then when they took it back in to get the updated report it "cleaning up" the remaining play in the steering wheel. I turned off the traction control on mine and it did not make any difference for me. It would not surprise me that they did not do the update on mine so I just want to verify. It still drives much better than before the TSB was done. The aluminum box was complete crap and I had two different ones.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just got mine back yesterday from the TSB. Steering feels heavier than before. Tracks much better. Before the TSB was constantly making corrections to keep it straight on the road. Now a lot less corrections when driving. Can release the wheel and it tracks straight until the crown pushes it down. Much better than before.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That's right.

Reason? Changing the steering gear is a partial fix. There's still dead-band. The wandering is much better, but not as good as it should be.

In the past I've wondered if the dealer who changed the gear re-flashed the power steering software. This whole experience has taken a year and a half now.
Frankly when the steering gear was replaced I judged it as "good enough" and "not worth any more pain and suffering at the hands of Jeep dealers."

I'm beyond frustration now. The work is incomplete. And the problem is still not solved. @JeepCares what is the solution for Jeep owners are in limbo who have had the steering gear replaced per the previous TSB?

We recommend returning to your dealer and contacting Customer Care in your region for additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
We recommend returning to your dealer and contacting Customer Care in your region for additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares Darlene, what are you supposed to do when the dealer service advisor lies to your face and FCA about having completed the work 100%? FCA really needs to take control of this and make the dealers more accountable for their crappy workmanship.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's right.

Regarding the software, there are two updates per the TSB. They may have done none or one and not the other. The only way to verify is to get them to print out your Options Report that shows which version is installed. Details at: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...gear-box-per-tsb-08-074-20.56822/post-1386698

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Regarding the software, there are two updates per the TSB. They may have done none or one and not the other. The only way to verify is to get them to print out your Options Report that shows which version is installed. Details at: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...gear-box-per-tsb-08-074-20.56822/post-1386698
The problem with this is that the options report will only show the sales code. It has nothing to do with the EPHS module software. So the only thing a person can tell from the options report is if they updated the sales code to 70F.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks.
I need to go back to the dealer that did it.
I'll take the new TSB for steering gear and the TSB for the track bar too.

I appreciate all your posts...thank you!
Sponsored