Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Here is the updated TSB. I'm hoping to get mine done soon.
Actually Steve, the latest TSB has a new number: 08-03-21

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase

Later,
Johnny
Oh didn't see that one, thanks for letting me know.:like:

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
Is this for 4 door or 2 door?

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Well I was complaining on here about my dealer telling me yesterday that parts wont' be in until June. Just got an email from them, now they're saying August.

Has anyone been able to get these parts ordered by a dealer without having to take their Jeep in first? I'm thinking of calling around to dealers in my area (and where I often travel to/through) to see if anyone can get the parts sooner than August.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Well I was complaining on here about my dealer telling me yesterday that parts wont' be in until June. Just got an email from them, now they're saying August.

Has anyone been able to get these parts ordered by a dealer without having to take their Jeep in first? I'm thinking of calling around to dealers in my area (and where I often travel to/through) to see if anyone can get the parts sooner than August.
Send a pm to Jeep Cares. They may be able to help you get the parts quicker.

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
Took my 2 door JLR in to Autonation Jeep Arapahoe and just now heard that they agree there is an issue, parts are ordered but they are not expecting them until June. My issue is that suddenly I have a variable pull to the right. For awhile I thought it was the crown in the road or the wind, maybe alignment but how it varies would be strange for alignment I believe. I first noticed it while driving across Wyoming, seemed like a strong variable wind from the driverside but I didn't get any additional windnoise. I do find this problem annoying but I don't feel in danger like others have, but I do wonder if it's just a matter of time until I get the steering locking up now. Again nothing I'm afraid of, but... June? Really?
I was just in there and seemingly got the run-around answer. I’m glad you got a yes from them even through the parts are “delayed”. That gives me a little hope but I’d be happy to drive to FC to not be played.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I was just in there and seemingly got the run-around answer. I’m glad you got a yes from them even through the parts are “delayed”. That gives me a little hope but I’d be happy to drive to FC to not be played.
I had made my appointment online and my notes read something close to "variable pull to the right, had alignment checked at X was told is within spec, seems to vary depending on temperature, was informed symptoms may match TSB 08-074-020" So i tried to spell it out clearly and point them to what I think it might be. That may be why I had a different experience than you.

With that said, I had them change the oil while I was at it (covered by Jeep Wave). Service manager assured me that they put 5 qts in he knew I had a JL and it had been an issue for people. Paperwork says they added 6 qts. I checked it at the lot (like I always do) and looked overfilled but not by much. The jeep wasn't on level ground so I thought that might be it. Got it home to my garage, nope it's overfilled. Also a bit of an oil mess under the hood. I understand the person who changes the oil isn't going to be the same one to swap out my steering box, but I am questioning if I trust the place to do the work properly. Also being such a small location, their parking lot sucks, their waiting area sucks, it's not a convenient location for me (no jeep dealer is, really), it was wall to wall people in there with no way to social distance if you have a COVID concern... really I'm questioning if I'll ever go back. There has to be a better dealer in the Denver-metro area.

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
Yeah, they are pretty sad. The bright spot are the service receptionists who kind and helpful.

They were the only ones within a few hundred miles that had what I wanted at that 13% off MSRP the VA area people were getting at the time. But after the emails stopped and I walked into the dealership, it typical dealer BS.

To have a service manager seemingly not know/casually play-off the steering TSB is either complete ignorance or purposely deceptive.

Sponsored

JAYDO27

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK

Later,
Johnny
does anyone have the pdf from the updated one? looking to print it out to inform my dealer here in Spain (Europe) as they do not have much info yet about this tbs from the steering gear box.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had made my appointment online and my notes read something close to "variable pull to the right, had alignment checked at X was told is within spec, seems to vary depending on temperature, was informed symptoms may match TSB 08-074-020" So i tried to spell it out clearly and point them to what I think it might be. That may be why I had a different experience than you.

With that said, I had them change the oil while I was at it (covered by Jeep Wave). Service manager assured me that they put 5 qts in he knew I had a JL and it had been an issue for people. Paperwork says they added 6 qts. I checked it at the lot (like I always do) and looked overfilled but not by much. The jeep wasn't on level ground so I thought that might be it. Got it home to my garage, nope it's overfilled. Also a bit of an oil mess under the hood. I understand the person who changes the oil isn't going to be the same one to swap out my steering box, but I am questioning if I trust the place to do the work properly. Also being such a small location, their parking lot sucks, their waiting area sucks, it's not a convenient location for me (no jeep dealer is, really), it was wall to wall people in there with no way to social distance if you have a COVID concern... really I'm questioning if I'll ever go back. There has to be a better dealer in the Denver-metro area.
Doubtful. Since Jeep dealerships rank last or near last compared to all brands for customer satisfaction for at least the last 9 years per JD Powers and other auto industry surveys, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon
Interestingly enough I received a call from CDJR Seattle today saying a steering gear for me has arrived. I have not actually spoken to JeepCares since my last post.

The service writer said I will be the first repair they do for this TSB. Luckily there’s a lot of great info in this thread on how to make sure I only have to make one trip.

Appointment is set for Monday morning drop off. Will update after it’s done.
Update: Dropped off the 2 door yesterday. Got a call in the afternoon that the TSB states if the previous track bar recall had not been performed previously that needed to be done as part of this fix. Had to wait one more day for that part to show up since the previous owner apparently didn't have that done.

Picked it up this afternoon. Bill shows the right parts including power steering fluid and a software update. Immediate impressions on driving the 5 miles home is that the steering feels heavier and the dead spot isn't completely gone but it feels like a newer truck. This isn't a sports car after all.

Anecdotally my advisor also told me about the new software recall for the clutch issue but stated that the software wasn't even available to download for it yet.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Jeep back from the dealer, drives great with fixed steering at 13k miles. Took an extra day as dealer was missing a part. You see they ordered parts based on old TSB 08-074-20 Rev A,B,C,D,E for 2018+ Jeeps ... So the new TSB 08-003-21 added Mopar 68394087AA which is a Front Track Bar for 18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT.

So if got your Jeep fixed on a earlier TSB and they did not add this part, go ask for that Front Track Bar. I could not find post for the new TSB 08-074-21.

Attached is my service order... got other several other stuff done, TMPS died, did computer updates and fixed reboot of Nav center. O and I forgot to get my vehicle inspected and update my license plates, they noticed and charge me the usual $14 fee. So the other work came to $1,500 all under warranty. Happy camper with peace of mind.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") completed

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
So the new TSB 08-003-21 added Mopar 68394087AA which is a Front Track Bar for 18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT.

So if got your Jeep fixed on a earlier TSB and they did not add this part, go ask for that Front Track Bar.
I believe that the track bar replacement only applies to units built prior to 1/22/19 and that language was already in at least revision E of the 08-74-20 TSB.

The TSB for the track bar update is listed here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-764824

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored

Last edited: