Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Someone recommended Johnson Auto Plaza, might want to give them a try. Let me know if you have better luck. It's a little bit of a drive for me but if it's worth it...

johnsonautoplaza.com
I think it's a crap shoot as another member here has had good luck here. I just seem to not be as lucky.

I get the impression they are all very overwhelmed. It's usually near impossible to speak to anyone in any department besides sales.
Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I say they must have done the software update because my horn chirp with lock setting changed.
Yes same for me - they updated the software and that setting was changed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a picture someone else posted on new versus old parts. The two old bolts (silver in color) will stick out a couple inches on the engine side of the gear box if they use them on a new gear box, easy way to check.

1612297959207.png
Then mine are the new, for sure. They don't look black to me but dirty. They are definitely not the silver shown here, and again, they are not aluminum, for sure.

Thanks for posting this!

zfike88

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202 JLUR, 2020JTR
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
Per the TSB this only applies to 18 and 19 JL's

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Per the TSB this only applies to 18 and 19 JL's
Only steps 12 and 13 applies to all 2018s and some 2019s. The entire TSB applies to all JLs that have the aluminum steering box 2018, 2019 and most 2020s. They started using the cast iron steering box sometime late 2020 builds and all 2021s have the cast iron version.

Sponsored

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I just had the TSB completed on my ‘19 JLUR. Took about a week for the part to come in and was a day 1/2 at the dealer. Steering is vastly improved. I used to have around and inch of play off-center, both sides and this is completely gone. Still wanders a little on the highway but that’s more attributed to the Falken M/Ts . Highly recommend getting this done. It was worth the trouble of visiting the dealer!

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I went down to my local dealer today and talked to the service advisor. I said the magic words "wandering steering" and she knew exactly what I meant. We walked outside to my JL with a tech, he looked at the front, and told her to order the steering box, 5 bolts and a new trackbar. We'll see how long it takes to come in.

Sponsored

jcr97703

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR ( ordered 9/24/19), 2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2017 Audi e-tron
Took my 2020 Rubicon (exactly 3 months ago) to dealer since they said they needed to verify issue before ordering the new box. They confirmed it, and ordered the part. A month later I called for an update and they said it was back ordered and it will take while. Still nothing. How long are others waiting for the parts to come in?

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Took my 2020 Rubicon (exactly 3 months ago) to dealer since they said they needed to verify issue before ordering the new box. They confirmed it, and ordered the part. A month later I called for an update and they said it was back ordered and it will take while. Still nothing. How long are others waiting for the parts to come in?
Mine took 2 months, but only after I PM'd Jeep Cares. Like you, I took mine in, dealer confirmed steering issue and ordered parts. I checked after a month and told parts still on order.

I checked again the next month and told the same thing. Contacted Jeep Cares and they said they would elevate it (and I would receive a call). Two days later a rep calls and says she is looking into it. Calls back in 3-4 hours and parts are at the dealer (coincidence? I don't know but I'll take it).

Anyway new steering gear box installed with new (4) bolts, software updated per the TSB, alignment performed - steering is better. One recommendation after the TSB is complete - check the power steering fluid, air must get into the system and bleeds out over time. I had to add an ounce or so to get it within the min/max lines.

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I've had mine done twice now (granted first one was another aluminum box), but both times the parts were there in a few days. Are you in a more rural area? I thought maybe they were so quick because I'm in a major city. Also, @Laststand is correct, get Jeep Cares involved. Maybe that's why my parts came in so quick. I had them involved before I ever took the Jeep in because I knew my former dealer would make it a fight. Which they did.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Finally got mine done. Took three appointments. First two times they said they had the parts. Got there for the first appointment and no parts. They claim the appointment was for an evaluation. Second time they claimed they got the wrong part. Third time they actually replaced the parts but took the sticker off so I cannot verify the part number. But it is black so I know they replaced it. I don't feel like it made much difference at all. Its still pulling right. And there is still some dead spot.
Trying to get @JeepCares to hook me up at a different dealership nearby to verify that the software was actually updated, but they don't seem willing to help now that the parts are on the vehicle.

Does anyone know if an independent mechanic can read the software version? Or can I do it with my @Superchips JL ?

jcr97703

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR ( ordered 9/24/19), 2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2017 Audi e-tron
I've had mine done twice now (granted first one was another aluminum box), but both times the parts were there in a few days. Are you in a more rural area? I thought maybe they were so quick because I'm in a major city. Also, @Laststand is correct, get Jeep Cares involved. Maybe that's why my parts came in so quick. I had them involved before I ever took the Jeep in because I knew my former dealer would make it a fight. Which they did.
I am in a relatively small town with only one jeep dealer. I emailed my service advisor today and he replied that the parts are due in about two weeks. This is the first time I’ve actually had an estimated arrival for the parts so that is a good sign. If they don’t show up close to then I will contact Jeep Cares.
If I can get them to fix my rattling seatbelt anchor on the B pillar at the same time I will be thrilled!
Sponsored