Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Quite sad when the owners know more about what needs to be done than the dealerships...
Sponsored

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
Thank you for this! I am convinced this is the issue with mine as I have a worse dead spot at certain speeds and it is inconsistent. I am bringing mine back to the dealer to show me and or redo the sales code with me there. By any chance does the report have some type of identification besides the name of it? Curious if you can share a screenshot as I want to ask for this specific report. Very happy to hear it fixed your issue and I am hopeful it will mine!

OP
OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
Awesome writeup...thanks for posting.

Per chance - did you get a copy of the 003-21 TSB?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Been waiting since October for the parts to come in. Told today that the parts order was cancelled by FCA. Now waiting another two weeks to see what excuse I hear next.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Been waiting since October for the parts to come in. Told today that the parts order was cancelled by FCA. Now waiting another two weeks to see what excuse I hear next.
I heard there is another version of the cast iron steering box coming out. So it might be a good thing you didn't get rev 1 of the new cast iron steering box.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I heard there is another version of the cast iron steering box coming out. So it might be a good thing you didn't get rev 1 of the new cast iron steering box.
Source?

Not sure that means there is a problem with the current version or part #. It has performed well for me and many others. It is also very possible that they just changed suppliers.

My brother got one on his Gladiator, too, and like mine, it was fine before, but certainly better now.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Well I was going to wait to get the steering box replaced and an alignment after my lift but now I may wait to hear about this new iron gearbox(?).

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Source?

Not sure that means there is a problem with the current version or part #. It has performed well for me and many others. It is also very possible that they just changed suppliers.

My brother got one on his Gladiator, too, and like mine, it was fine before, but certainly better now.
Source: Service Advisor at a Jeep dealership said a new one is coming out in a few months, but I initially took it with a grain of salt. He also added that several of the new cast iron steering boxes they installed have failed. But when you add that 5280 said his parts order for the new steering box was canceled by FCA, seems that might be the case now after all. There have been several in the other steering forums that said they had multiple new cast iron steering boxes installed before they got a good one (or was worse than the aluminum steering box), so not everyone got a good one on the first try. Might be worth calling up a few parts departments to see if the cast iron steering box orders are on hold.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Source: Service Advisor at a Jeep dealership said a new one is coming out in a few months, but I initially took it with a grain of salt. He also added that several of the new cast iron steering boxes they installed have failed. But when you add that 5280 said his parts order for the new steering box was canceled by FCA, seems that might be the case now after all. There have been several in the other steering forums that said they had multiple new cast iron steering boxes installed before they got a good one (or was worse than the aluminum steering box), so not everyone got a good one on the first try. Might be worth calling up a few parts departments to see if the cast iron steering box orders are on hold.
Ok, but you can also have defective parts without it being a defective design. That would be one reason to change suppliers.

Service advisors aren't always the best sources. Sometimes they want to tell folks something to chill them out when they screw up an order or discover a delay. But then again, some of them are very good, too. One way to test your service advisor to see if they know their shit is to ask them how many quarts of oil the 3.6 JL takes. ;)

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Service advisors aren't always the best sources. Sometimes they want to tell folks something to chill them out when they screw up an order or discover a delay.
There have been three major means of mass communication invented in the last 200 years: telegraph, telephone and telejeepowner. It's amazing how well the last one works on this forum. ;)

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok, but you can also have defective parts without it being a defective design. That would be one reason to change suppliers.

Service advisors aren't always the best sources. Sometimes they want to tell folks something to chill them out when they screw up an order or discover a delay. But then again, some of them are very good, too. One way to test your service advisor to see if they know their shit is to ask them how many quarts of oil the 3.6 JL takes. ;)
Yes, that is a given it could be defective parts and a good design. :) I'm just conveying what I was told and added other clues. Any idea why FCA canceled his steering box order besides a new one is coming out? I'm sure there might be a reason, but I can't think of one. Funny thing is, I was chit-chatting with the Service Advisor while waiting for my oil change so he didn't need to BS me specifically as my visit that time was unrelated to the steering box. I was asking him how many backordered steering boxes he had in the queue when he said a new one is coming out. He new it was 5 quarts of oil, but the tech still put in 6 quarts (even though I have a dog tag on the dip stick that says "5 quarts per the manual, not 6!"), then they took it back and drained out a quart when I pointed out the oil was on on the stick way over the top mark. Techs fault, not the service advisor.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Today I brought my JLR 2 door into Fort Collins Jeep and told them my Jeep handled like my CJ5. The service writer said that was not a good thing and they were treating the TSB like a recall and off my Jeep went. Unfortunately there did not have all the parts needed as the stated the parts are vin range specific and that mine would need to be ordered. They also agreed with the steering wandering and said they parts were ordered and it should take 7-10 days to get them. They were very nice and up front. No questioning my opinion about how it handled and also stated once the parts were in they would have the Jeep back to me the same day. So far I am happy with the dealer response I will let you know once it is completed. Some of you mentioned alinement what about this repair would take the alinement out? Is that something I should have them check or is that part of the TSB?

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.

If it were the 3.8. I would ask "how many miles do you drive between oil changes?", that number would fluctuate a lot.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Went to the dealership yesterday and had them take a look at my JLUS and they ended up ordering the following part to resolve wandering steering:

68507569AA

I asked why they didn't order the replacement bolts and the service writer mentioned that 68507569AA is a kit and contains all the bolts needed... I was not aware of this - can anyone confirm this is indeed true?

Also, ETA was give as approx. 15 days for the part to come in.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I asked why they didn't order the replacement bolts and the service writer mentioned that 68507569AA is a kit and contains all the bolts needed... I was not aware of this - can anyone confirm this is indeed true?
that would be new. that part number did not include all items needed previously. I would question it IMO
Sponsored