OP

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Did you ever get the TSB done? Did it improve the feel and steering? Which dealership did you go to? I go next Tuesday to Pearson Jeep down in Richmond, VA
Sorry for the late reply; I was scrolling through a previous thread and got redirected to this one and saw your comment from Weds.

I live in Northern VA, so I went to the Safford Dealership in Springfield VA. The first time it was done, there was no change. I requested another box, but the dealership claimed a 4-6 week backlog. I went to another dealership (Farrish in Fairfax VA), and they had one ready in a few days. I had it replaced AGAIN, but there was no appreciable change (ie the problem still exists).

Since I had a few hours to scroll through the threads and catch up, it looks like a few things are important to keep in mind:

1. Look at the power steering fluid a few days after the fix. I just checked mine, and it is at min!

2. Make sure that the dealership has the NEW BOLTS! I had to go back and make them change it out. There is a rumor that the bolts are really just the same, but why mess with it?

3. There is a new TSB...08-003-21 (that's right...not 003-20, but 003-21). Ensure the dealership REMOVES THE OLD SOFTWARE and FLASHES THE NEW SOFTWARE for the power steering. Ensure the INVOICE STATES THIS, as the dealership should be compensated by corporate for doing the work. Lastly, make sure they DO AN ALIGNMENT and give you the report. I am going back to my dealership to have my software flashed and my alignment redone because it didn't have it done earlier, and because of this new TSB.

Lastly I would highly encourage you to look at the 2" lift Mopar Lower Control Arms (LCAs) that help with castor (trying to get above 6 degrees). Lot's of encouraging comments about that, and it's pretty inexpensive ($120 for 2 I believe) and you can change it yourself.

Best of luck!
Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
A few people in this thread have requested a copy of the latest revision of this TSB, but I haven't seen anyone post that yet.

I finally found a complete copy of TSB 08-074-20 REV. E that I can upload for anyone who was looking for it.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
A few people in this thread have requested a copy of the latest revision of this TSB, but I haven't seen anyone post that yet.

I finally found a complete copy of TSB 08-074-20 REV. E that I can upload for anyone who was looking for it.

Hope this helps.
I don't think that is the latest revision anymore. A coupe posts have mentioned a very recent newer revision that has added an alignment to the procedure as well. See post just above yours.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Nice comments... do you or anyone have TSB 08-003-21.
Thanks,
Jack
Sorry for the late reply; I was scrolling through a previous thread and got redirected to this one and saw your comment from Weds.

I live in Northern VA, so I went to the Safford Dealership in Springfield VA. The first time it was done, there was no change. I requested another box, but the dealership claimed a 4-6 week backlog. I went to another dealership (Farrish in Fairfax VA), and they had one ready in a few days. I had it replaced AGAIN, but there was no appreciable change (ie the problem still exists).

Since I had a few hours to scroll through the threads and catch up, it looks like a few things are important to keep in mind:

1. Look at the power steering fluid a few days after the fix. I just checked mine, and it is at min!

2. Make sure that the dealership has the NEW BOLTS! I had to go back and make them change it out. There is a rumor that the bolts are really just the same, but why mess with it?

3. There is a new TSB...08-003-21 (that's right...not 003-20, but 003-21). Ensure the dealership REMOVES THE OLD SOFTWARE and FLASHES THE NEW SOFTWARE for the power steering. Ensure the INVOICE STATES THIS, as the dealership should be compensated by corporate for doing the work. Lastly, make sure they DO AN ALIGNMENT and give you the report. I am going back to my dealership to have my software flashed and my alignment redone because it didn't have it done earlier, and because of this new TSB.

Lastly I would highly encourage you to look at the 2" lift Mopar Lower Control Arms (LCAs) that help with castor (trying to get above 6 degrees). Lot's of encouraging comments about that, and it's pretty inexpensive ($120 for 2 I believe) and you can change it yourself.

Best of luck!

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I don't think that is the latest revision anymore. A coupe posts have mentioned a very recent newer revision that has added an alignment to the procedure as well. See post just above yours.

That's good to know, thanks.

Maybe dealership service departments will have the newest version (Revision F?).

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Just got my 2019 steering box TSB 08-003-21 completed last week on the 20th. Drove it home and it's driving the same as before the repair. Since I was an ASE mechanic for 18 years I inspected their work and immediately see the problem. The new steering box is an previous design aluminum one. I started a thread titled wrong steering box installed. The reason I'm posting in this thread is because of a comment stating that they didn't notice any improvements after TSB 008-003-21 was performed on their Jeep. Look at your steering box and verify its the correct cast iron one and not the previous aluminum design like mine received last week.

0120211410_HDR.jpg

DDM4V7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
First dealer I took mine to in October said there was noting wrong and refused to do the TSB. Opened up a case with Jeep Cares and they opened a case for me. Case manager called me a few days later and offered 2 options. First was to pay for repair at a dealer and FCA would reimburse me or I could go to another dealer.

Went to the next dealer and they agreed to do the TSB but I'd have to wait in line for parts. Said there were 3 or 4 in front of me and they could only order them every so many days or weeks or something. Dealer called me about 1 month later and said some of the parts were in but they were waiting on all the parts to come in but they would call as soon as they came in to schedule repair.

Here is the interesting part. I was in my work car driving on Monday when my phone rang. It was a number I did not recognize, so I almost did not answer but did so anyway. It was a person from Jeep Cares or Customer Service (don't remember which) asking if my TSB had been completed. I told them no, as the dealer said they were awaiting parts. The person on the phone said she was going to reopen my case as Jeep had changed or upgraded the TSB. Said they were contacting people who had opened a case to make sure the TSB had been done. She even admitted some dealers did not understand the TSB and were refusing to do it. I was in an area with poor cell reception and the call was a little hard to understand. The lady said they would work with the dealer to assist them in getting the required parts.

On Wednesday I received an email from a person at "Jeep Premium Care Case Management". he email stated they had reached out to the dealer and were awaiting a response from them. It will be interesting to see if things speed up a little now.

Small update to report. Got an email on January 12th from Jeep Premium Care that stated my parts were in and to expect a call from the dealership the next day. Dealership called the next morning before 9am and scheduled me for the work on January 28th. Keeping my fingers crossed it will turn out well.

DDM4V7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

I believe you are correct. Service advisor told me an alignment would be done after the steering gear was installed.

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I believe you are correct. Service advisor told me an alignment would be done after the steering gear was installed.
I just had this done Thursday and my service sheet shows an alignment was done along with all the software updates previously mentioned.

Blendo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JKUR
I had the TSB completed earlier this week. Initial driving seems better. Steering is same 'tension' at low speeds and stiffer at cruising. Dead spot in center of travel is much less.

I'm happy.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

The bolts are different, also FCA service instructions state that anytime the steering gearbox is removed or mounting bolts removed, new bolts must be installed!

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I had the TSB completed earlier this week. Initial driving seems better. Steering is same 'tension' at low speeds and stiffer at cruising. Dead spot in center of travel is much less.

I'm happy.
I had mine completed last week and had the same feel/results as you. My "dead spot' wasn't huge to begin with but is less now (more in line with a typical recirculating ball steering system). The "tension" or stiffness is more noticeable and although the wheels/steering may not be turning any quicker at least you now get feedback, if that makes sense.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the Steering Gear TSB done on my 2018 today. I verified they installed the steel gear box, part #68507569AA and the ECU was flashed to part # 68529416AA. Tech also completed an alignment and gave me the printout. PS fluid was full, no signs of leaking, and he didn't charge me any extra due to my Synergy TB/SS brace, lift, etc.

I did hand the tech a typed note with all of the torque specs for my aftermarket parts which he might have to remove. I also informed him of the large o-rings on the RK track bar joint and other pertinent information. A $40 tip in the envelope was also included.

I spoke with him afterwards and he was very appreciative of the information I provided as it saved him time. He was also thankful for the tip.

On the drive home steering was better, similar to my 2019 after that had the TSB done. Very happy to have it done!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0771
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_0772

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
So I've been complaining about how the new steering box didn't help my dead spot issue. Turns out it was the morons at the service dept at Landmark Dodge in Chamblee, GA. Since I was still having issues, I took my Jeep to a different dealer. Attached is the video the new service guy just sent me. This was how he found the pitman arm nut. Also, keep in mind the bolts for the steering box were only tightened to about 40lbs.

Hey @JeepCares, do something about this dealership's service dept. before they get someone killed.

Attachments

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Did they destroy your draglink boot too?
Sponsored