AltJL

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
how does it ride now? I go in tuesday for mine...I heard that was a big fix for sloppy steering without spending extra money out of pocket on steering components.
Completely different in a good way. On road manners are excellent. Personally I would wait to upgrade any components until you see how it feels after.
Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Took my Jeep to the dealer (Safford Dodge Chrysler Jeep of Warrenton, Va) this morning.

Wonderful service agent, Bob, listened to my "complaints" and never once tried to say that is just how a Jeep drives. He seem to accept and agree with everything I was saying, which was a relief as I was nervous they would just dismiss me since I'm a woman.

I mentioned the TSB and he said they were well aware of it. He told me they would have to probably order the parts and I said, I understand. I spent 2 hours in the waiting room and then Bob comes to say he has ordered the parts and they should be here tomorrow!

They kept my Jeep and gave me a rental car as they were all out of loaners on site! Driving around town in a Challenger is quite fun!

Bob said the Jeep should get fixed by end of day tomorrow! I can't believe how easy the process has been so far!

Everyone at this dealership was wonderful!!!

Fingers crossed that all the steering problems get resolved!!! Will update after I get it back and test drive it!

Challenger Loaner.jpg
How did the TSB fix go for your Jeep? Also for your loaner did they charge you?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just looked at my report - any idea why my bolt numbers are different?

Just looked at my report - any idea why my bolt numbers are different? And why one of mine is called a screw: hex flange head?

see photo...

CC098995-7E94-4591-BF55-7CE8A2ECAD3C.jpeg
Part numbers look correct just strange description.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 3EA6DC08-F51E-4877-B66B-86673E9D8AD3

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
TSB 08-074-20 COMPLETE

PROBLEM: I had a dead spot - about 1" either side of centre. When driving straight down a road, I could move the steering wheel left 1" and right 1" without affecting the steering. In effect, it was a 2" dead zone.

When driving in wind, or on certain roads it would be hard to maintain the Jeep within the road lines and I was worried someone would call the police to report that I seemed impaired.

DID THE TSB FIX THE STEERING? : Yes & No. Immediately when driving after the fix was complete, the steering wheel felt a little tighter, but also, turning the wheel - immediately turned the Jeep. I was almost prone to cutting corners too sharp when turning now, as I was used to there being no response from the Jeep until I'd turned the wheel more in the past.

That was in the city at low speed.

Tonight I took it out on the highway. It doesn't feel much better. It's a little better. But, the faster I drive, the more dead spot seems to come back. It's kind of frustrating.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? - Yes. I will talk about this at the end of this post.

WHAT WAS PERFORMED IN THE TSB : Replace the steering gear, new steering fluid, system software upgrade, alignment.

WHY DOES YOUR INVOICE SHOW SOFTWARE UPGRADE VERSIONS, HOW MUCH FLUID WAS USED, AND ALIGNMENT DATA? : I told the dealership not to call me to pick up the Jeep until they had the updated software version recorded for me, as well as double checked the steering fluid after a test drive, and that my alignment was perfect - as it was before I took it in.

INVOICE DATA - You can see what they did here. Basically lists what's on the TSB. I did see 'their' copy of it when at the dealer, and all the parts they installed cost about $600CAD. They are N/C on my copy.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 3EA6DC08-F51E-4877-B66B-86673E9D8AD3

What if my invoice does not say they upgraded/reprogram the EPS etc? - Well, the dealer gets paid by FC for doing all the work on theTSB. Technically if they don't do the work, and it's not on the invoice that they submit to FC then they would not get paid. So - Maybe they did not do it for you (and tell you they did). Or maybe they did not do it, then added it later to submit to FC (more money for less work). I have a hard time believing a dealer would not list work they did - and get less money.

I would be wary of any dealer not listing all of the steps that are required on your invoice - especially if you still have issues after.

And they did your alignment after the TSB? : Absolutely. Before and after results provided. Again, I would be wary of any dealer who does not do your alignment after this procedure.

So they installed the gear and fluid and test drove it? Yes, and they noted it all.

You said they updated your software - to what version? You can see below.

Can you find this software info through the stereo interface? No. I was hoping this info would be in the dealer menu, but it's not. I could not find it before I took it in, nor after.

As a side note - the Dealer Menu will tell you when your overall software and mapping data is from which you might find useful at some point.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? You don't need to read this...

Interestingly - all of my settings that I set through the stereo were retained - except one which changed:

The setting to have the horn honk when you press the lock button on the remote changed - and it would now honk when pressing the button. I've had that disabled for 4 months. The tech says they didn't go and change that one setting lol. I had to go and set that again to how I want.

IN CONCLUSION - SHOULD YOU GET IT DONE? Well, if you are concerned with your steering feeling loose. I was worried people would call the police thinking I'm impaired as sometimes it's hard to drive straight on the highway. It's not fixed like I was expecting - at high speed there's still some play, however at city speeds it's a very noticeable improvement.
Your caster looks really low. I’m at 6.5 percent. The low caster will cause wandering.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Your caster looks really low. I’m at 6.5 percent. The low caster will cause wandering.
I"m actually taking my Jeep to the shop that did my suspension tomorrow for a sag lift, I'm going to take this alignment report with me... thx.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I"m actually taking my Jeep to the shop that did my suspension tomorrow for a sag lift, I'm going to take this alignment report with me... thx.
BTW, the caster can’t be “adjusted” by a shop per se. I added 3/8” longer lower control arms and my caster jumped from 4.0 to 6.5. Unbelievable difference in tracking. Search (on this forum) “caster + LCA” and you’ll find a lot of info

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'm also having issues with the steel box. The steering is better, but only by the slightest of margins. I still have a pretty significant dead spot on center, at least an inch to either side.

However, I do have a theory. I'm one of the people who had to take the Jeep in twice for this because the first time they put another aluminum box in. I could tell they updated the software that first time because my tire pressure thresholds and speedo correction from the Tazer were reset to factory (I have 35's). But I don't think they re-updated it when I had the actual steel box put in the second go around. I had re-Tazered the TP and speedo after the first box swap and they were still what I had set them to after the steel box was installed. They also torqued the bolts to only half of what was called for. Taking it back to a different dealer this weekend.

Last edited:

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Anyone know how the software update interacts or effects the steering box TSB (or is this just FCA's way of making sure you have the most current version)?

Just dropped my 2 door off for the TSB and was more concerned they had the right parts given I do have a 2 door. They assured me the system uses the VIN, to verify parts, and would not let them order the incorrect ones and amounts. I pushed to "I believe button" on this.

When I asked them about the software check, I received a blank stare. Showed them the TSB and the first steps checking the software version and upgrade if required. Service tech said he wasn't sure (and looked like it was news to him).

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I noticed after the TSB i am getting a rhythmic vibration in the steering wheel. Anyone else having this same issue?

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I noticed after the TSB i am getting a rhythmic vibration in the steering wheel. Anyone else having this same issue?

Check your power steering fluid level! Mine took one and a half pints...

Sponsored

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I just had the TSB done, here's my experience...

I went to the dealership in September and they ordered the new steering box for me right away. After 5 months of waiting it still hadn't arrived so I contacted Jeep Cares who got me in touch with Jeep Premium Care. They had the part expedited to my dealership and it arrived in a couple days.

I got the Jeep back from the dealership yesterday. The steering feels improved, just a little firmer. There's still a dead spot but this isn't unusual for most big vehicles. I wouldn't say it was a drastic difference for my 2020 Unlimited. I also have the Fox steering stabilizer and this also helps improve steering feel.

On the way home, the Service Manager called and asked how it was. I told him the steering wheel was crooked when the Jeep is driving straight. He said this was part of the TSB and it would correct itself automatically over time. He said wait a day or two and come back if it didn't correct itself. I don't believe this is true, steering wheels don't automatically self center themselves, so I was a little thrown off by his comment. When I got home, I adjusted the drag link which centers the steering wheel. Takes about 10 minutes, an easy fix.

The dealership tech should have caught this if he test drove the vehicle after the repair. Probably should have offered to give the vehicle an alignment. Although it doesn't affect toe, during an alignment they should check steering wheel alignment too.

Lastly, I'll have to go back to get the power steering fluid topped off. After driving it, the power steering fluid dropped below the bottom low mark on the reservoir.

I plan on calling the service tech on Monday and asking to swing by to get the power steering fluid topped off and mention the drag link adjustment to center the steering wheel.

Overall I think the repair went well, but there's always something...

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I just had the TSB done, here's my experience...

I went to the dealership in September and they ordered the new steering box for me right away. After 5 months of waiting it still hadn't arrived so I contacted Jeep Cares who got me in touch with Jeep Premium Care. They had the part expedited to my dealership and it arrived in a couple days.

I got the Jeep back from the dealership yesterday. The steering feels improved, just a little firmer. There's still a dead spot but this isn't unusual for most big vehicles. I wouldn't say it was a drastic difference for my 2020 Unlimited. I also have the Fox steering stabilizer and this also helps improve steering feel.

On the way home, the Service Manager called and asked how it was. I told him the steering wheel was crooked when the Jeep is driving straight. He said this was part of the TSB and it would correct itself automatically over time. He said wait a day or two and come back if it didn't correct itself. I don't believe this is true, steering wheels don't automatically self center themselves, so I was a little thrown off by his comment. When I got home, I adjusted the drag link which centers the steering wheel. Takes about 10 minutes, an easy fix.

The dealership tech should have caught this if he test drove the vehicle after the repair. Probably should have offered to give the vehicle an alignment. Although it doesn't affect toe, during an alignment they should check steering wheel alignment too.

Lastly, I'll have to go back to get the power steering fluid topped off. After driving it, the power steering fluid dropped below the bottom low mark on the reservoir.

I plan on calling the service tech on Monday and asking to swing by to get the power steering fluid topped off and mention the drag link adjustment to center the steering wheel.

Overall I think the repair went well, but there's always something...
I had my steering gear replaced and still have a dead spot as well. Actually seems slightly worse then the previous aluminum box I had replaced. I called the dealer and asked if they did the software update as part of TSB 08-74-20 and he said they didn’t based on the instructions of a subsequent TSB released on January 9th related to steering. I have been following these threads but am not sure what they are talking about? Is there another more recent TSB related?

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
TSB 08-074-20 COMPLETE

PROBLEM: I had a dead spot - about 1" either side of centre. When driving straight down a road, I could move the steering wheel left 1" and right 1" without affecting the steering. In effect, it was a 2" dead zone.

When driving in wind, or on certain roads it would be hard to maintain the Jeep within the road lines and I was worried someone would call the police to report that I seemed impaired.

DID THE TSB FIX THE STEERING? : Yes & No. Immediately when driving after the fix was complete, the steering wheel felt a little tighter, but also, turning the wheel - immediately turned the Jeep. I was almost prone to cutting corners too sharp when turning now, as I was used to there being no response from the Jeep until I'd turned the wheel more in the past.

That was in the city at low speed.

Tonight I took it out on the highway. It doesn't feel much better. It's a little better. But, the faster I drive, the more dead spot seems to come back. It's kind of frustrating.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? - Yes. I will talk about this at the end of this post.

WHAT WAS PERFORMED IN THE TSB : Replace the steering gear, new steering fluid, system software upgrade, alignment.

WHY DOES YOUR INVOICE SHOW SOFTWARE UPGRADE VERSIONS, HOW MUCH FLUID WAS USED, AND ALIGNMENT DATA? : I told the dealership not to call me to pick up the Jeep until they had the updated software version recorded for me, as well as double checked the steering fluid after a test drive, and that my alignment was perfect - as it was before I took it in.

INVOICE DATA - You can see what they did here. Basically lists what's on the TSB. I did see 'their' copy of it when at the dealer, and all the parts they installed cost about $600CAD. They are N/C on my copy.

What if my invoice does not say they upgraded/reprogram the EPS etc? - Well, the dealer gets paid by FC for doing all the work on theTSB. Technically if they don't do the work, and it's not on the invoice that they submit to FC then they would not get paid. So - Maybe they did not do it for you (and tell you they did). Or maybe they did not do it, then added it later to submit to FC (more money for less work). I have a hard time believing a dealer would not list work they did - and get less money.

I would be wary of any dealer not listing all of the steps that are required on your invoice - especially if you still have issues after.

And they did your alignment after the TSB? : Absolutely. Before and after results provided. Again, I would be wary of any dealer who does not do your alignment after this procedure.

So they installed the gear and fluid and test drove it? Yes, and they noted it all.

You said they updated your software - to what version? You can see below.

Can you find this software info through the stereo interface? No. I was hoping this info would be in the dealer menu, but it's not. I could not find it before I took it in, nor after.

As a side note - the Dealer Menu will tell you when your overall software and mapping data is from which you might find useful at some point.

*Did the TSB repair alter anything else in your Jeep? You don't need to read this...

Interestingly - all of my settings that I set through the stereo were retained - except one which changed:

The setting to have the horn honk when you press the lock button on the remote changed - and it would now honk when pressing the button. I've had that disabled for 4 months. The tech says they didn't go and change that one setting lol. I had to go and set that again to how I want.

IN CONCLUSION - SHOULD YOU GET IT DONE? Well, if you are concerned with your steering feeling loose. I was worried people would call the police thinking I'm impaired as sometimes it's hard to drive straight on the highway. It's not fixed like I was expecting - at high speed there's still some play, however at city speeds it's a very noticeable improvement.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Thanks to everyone's contribution to this thread. I got my 2018 JLUS back from the dealer yesterday with the new box installed and the feel is greatly improved. I followed everyone advice here, cycled the steer wheel several times, check the fluid, made sure the box was black steel not aluminum, looked for the old bolts and everything appears to be have been done correctly the first time.

One note, looks like the part number sequence changed. On my invoice the steering gear shows a part number of 68507569AB when the previous one in this thread ended in AA.

I think the steering gear replacement helps resale. A steel vs aluminum box on an out of warrantee Jeep has to help resale for informed buyers.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
One note, looks like the part number sequence changed. On my invoice the steering gear shows a part number of 68507569AB when the previous one in this thread ended in AA.
That's the first one that I remember seeing with an AB suffix. This should start some conspiracy theories. ;)
Sponsored