limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How do I confirm if my steering gear box needs to be replaced? I purchased my JLUR in August 2020.
You can either contact your preferred service dept. with your VIN and they'll tell you or look at your steering box. If it's gray with silver bolts, you have the first version and are eligible for the new one. The new one is black and has black bolts.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
How do I confirm if my steering gear box needs to be replaced? I purchased my JLUR in August 2020.
You can determine if it needs to be replaced by the way the jeep drives. If you're happy with it then it doesn't need replacing. If you feel like it has too much loose play in the steering and you have trouble maintaining a straight line then you should consider having the box replaced. Your 2020 model would be eligible.

Later,
Johnny

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the call today that the steering box and bolts are in. 24 hours after I had them look at it and the radio. Now I’m just waiting on the radio to come in and do it all at once.

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just left the dealership, they approved the steering box replacement even though I'm out of warranty. They still cant figure out why my TPMS light stays on...

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
My dealer just called me - asked if I could come in at 9am to have the work done.

Was surprised they got the parts so fast.

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Look underneath the jeep at the big chunk/Block of metal that the steering column attaches to and at the bottom has linkage that can move the wheels.
Silver/Gray metal = Aluminum = Replace
Black Painted = Steel = Supposed to be good.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Haven't gone through the entire thread, but I know some still have issues after having the TSB done. I still have a pretty pronounced dead spot on center. I checked the bolts for the new box and they were only torqued to about half of what they should have been, so I tightened all but the hardest one to get to. Anything else I should check?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't gone through the entire thread, but I know some still have issues after having the TSB done. I still have a pretty pronounced dead spot on center. I checked the bolts for the new box and they were only torqued to about half of what they should have been, so I tightened all but the hardest one to get to. Anything else I should check?
Check the IShaft bolt. I would suspect not torqued properly if your gear bolts were not. Not sure will help with dead spot but definitely want to make sure it’s torqued. You can go down from top but will need some extensions on torque wrench to reach down in. (40 ft lbs).

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") F6BEF967-A3BD-4B7C-984E-291AF194A6D9
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 31EB13CB-9BF9-4450-813A-77B0CAFE9078

Reactions: DHW

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

We are sorry to learn that the TSB did not resolve your steering concerns. Have you returned to the Jeep dealer to have them take a look? Please send us a DM if support is needed while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
We are sorry to learn that the TSB did not resolve your steering concerns. Have you returned to the Jeep dealer to have them take a look? Please send us a DM if support is needed while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
PM sent.

Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Look underneath the jeep at the big chunk/Block of metal that the steering column attaches to and at the bottom has linkage that can move the wheels.
Is this the old box? Aug2000 JLR dealer said I have updated box but this is silver.

98679FDD-EC31-4AD0-983F-3745EFCD61B0.jpeg

87FF05B0-CE77-473E-BFB0-4FAECBF9184A.jpeg

20AEC815-35BA-472C-A0C4-87B0C3839F8B.jpeg

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just dropped mine off for the TSB service.

I've asked them - and they have noted on the work order :

Please note the steering software version before and after the software upgrade is completed.

I asked them to do this since there was discussion that maybe people who have the same issue after the new box is installed - is becasue the software was not upgraded at the same time which is required.

It's literally #2 on the instructions so not sure why it wouldn't be done... but...

Anyways - hoping they are able to note it for me - if so Ill pass it along here.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
You can either contact your preferred service dept. with your VIN and they'll tell you or look at your steering box. If it's gray with silver bolts, you have the first version and are eligible for the new one. The new one is black and has black bolts.
I believe I have the first version. See picture below. Should I remove the Synergy brace before taking it into the dealership or will they be able to replace it and not break anything?

2BF393B6-78BA-48A3-BAA4-24EFFB38AB88.jpeg

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Please note the steering software version before and after the software upgrade is completed.
Does anyone know if there is any way look at the software version myself? Can a OBD scanner get that info? Or my mostly useless FlashCal, perhaps?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just dropped mine off for the TSB service.
Well - that didn't go so well :facepalm:

They took the Jeep apart - and then realized they never ordered the Frame Bolts...

They offered to put everything back together with the old parts and make another appointment for next week - but I said just keep it apart. They said bolts should arrive in a day.

Good thing I have a spare car lying around.
Sponsored