First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
The jeep pulls to the right. Never did before, and I fully understand the TSB doesn't affect alignment.
SO it's a complete mystery that a new problem popped up.
mine too, exactly... WTF
Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I wanted to mention (and it may have been noted in the previous 136 pages) that I had to add some power steering fluid a few days after the TSB was completed. It was on the mark when I took it from the dealer, but dropped a bit after driving for a while.

My guess is there may have been a bit of air that worked its way out.
I was tinkering under the hood today and noticed the exact same thing. I had my TSB done back in October and checked my fluid at the time. It was pegged on the "min". Today I noticed I had dropped maybe a few CM's below min. Is it as simple as buying some power steering fluid and topping it off?

Or do I have to go back to the dealer and deal with the whole check the vehicle in circus?

Also, does anyone think I'm at risk for any damage or concern?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I was tinkering under the hood today and noticed the exact same thing. I had my TSB done back in October and checked my fluid at the time. It was pegged on the "min". Today I noticed I had dropped maybe a few CM's below min. Is it as simple as buying some power steering fluid and topping it off?

Or do I have to go back to the dealer and deal with the whole check the vehicle in circus?

Also, does anyone think I'm at risk for any damage or concern?
It is as simple as adding some to bring it to the correct level. This is caused by air working its way out of the system and unless the unit went dry, there should not be any damage. Remember the tank is a reservoir and the levels only drop when the overall system needs fluid.

This is what you need (not saying you need to buy it from ebay--just an example):

MOPAR Electric Steering Pump Fluid 1 Pint / 16 oz 2011-2016 Chrysler Dodge Jeep | eBay

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It is as simple as adding some to bring it to the correct level. This is caused by air working its way out of the system and unless the unit went dry, there should not be any damage. Remember the tank is a reservoir and the levels only drop when the overall system needs fluid.

This is what you need (not saying you need to buy it from ebay--just an example):

MOPAR Electric Steering Pump Fluid 1 Pint / 16 oz 2011-2016 Chrysler Dodge Jeep | eBay
Appreciate the details, thanks!

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just had to TSB performed yesterday, night and day difference in the ride. I am no longer shitting my pants in high winds. I could feel the wind slamming into the jeep on the ride home but she stayed planted on the road.

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I started the process in September, Got Jeep Cares involved in December. My steering box was installed last Monday and my dealership installed it properly. My steering is rock solid with no dead spots. One suggestion, have extra fluid on hand.

I checked my fluid before I left the dealership and it was at the full line. The next morning I checked it and the reservoir was empty. I topped it off and drove it for the rest of the day. The next morning it was at the add line so I topped it off again. It has not dropped since and all is well.

Jeep has been driven about 280 miles since the change with no more drop in fluid and steering is very good. No more wander and no dead spots.

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.

How can I check the level of thr steering pump fluid. Where is it located?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
How can I check the level of thr steering pump fluid. Where is it located?
On the 3.6L, it is here (2.0L is likely in the same location):

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_2823

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the TSB done on my 2019 yesterday and they checked the alignment too. I immediately could tell a difference in the new box. First off, I didn't have to make a lot of "micro-adjustments" as I drove and second, the right pull was gone. I'm very happy with the new box.

Prior to leaving the dealership, I asked the service manager if they would do the TSB on my 2018 due to it being lifted and with a Synergy track bar brace. He said no problem since there's not really anything more to them having to disconnect. He stated they do warranty work on Wranglers all the time and it wouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting to hear back for when the new steering box comes in for the 2018 now.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the TSB done on my 2019 yesterday and they checked the alignment too. I immediately could tell a difference in the new box. First off, I didn't have to make a lot of "micro-adjustments" as I drove and second, the right pull was gone. I'm very happy with the new box.

Prior to leaving the dealership, I asked the service manager if they would do the TSB on my 2018 due to it being lifted and with a Synergy track bar brace. He said no problem since there's not really anything more to them having to disconnect. He stated they do warranty work on Wranglers all the time and it wouldn't be a problem. I'm waiting to hear back for when the new steering box comes in for the 2018 now.
Glad to hear TSB worked out. When you have 2018 completed you may have to lower your caster :) Does your 2019 steering feel heavier?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to hear TSB worked out. When you have 2018 completed you may have to lower your caster :) Does your 2019 steering feel heavier?
Yeah, but not heavy like it’s a workout. It’s more consistent and firm. I don't think I'll need to lower caster, 6.5* is good whether the steering box is good or a piece of crap.

Last edited:

Fast4by

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2dr
HELP !!!
I will keep this short in hopes someone had the same issue and found out the cause:
I brought Jeep in for TSB back in Oct.
Dealer agreed to perform TSB and ordered part.
Called me Monday and said part was in so I brought Jeep in.
Called me today (3 days later) to say its done.
They test drove it and said its good to go.
When i arrived I immediately saw a STAIN under the front end.
Hoping it wasn't from mine, I crawled under to look and check for new black box.
The whole driver side undercarriage was SATURATED IN POWER STEERING FLUID !!!!
There was so much I couldn't tell the source. There were drips ALL OVER THE PLACE !!
How did they not notice that ? (don't answer that).
I was so fed up I told them fix it and left.

Anyone else experience this type of leaking after having TSB performed ?
And if so, what was the cause.

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but not heavy like it’s a workout. It’s more consistent and firm. I don't think I'll need to lower caster, 6.5* is good whether the steering box is good or a piece of crap.
Agree. I was all set to increase caster (currently 5.3) then after change really like the feel. Definitely heavier but very similar to your description, consistent and firm.
Sponsored