First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
send a private message to jeepcares. just click on their replies here and it should take you to their site. If your jeep has been in the shop this long and gone thru the various known fixes there is something seriously wrong with the vehicle AND with the dealer!
I would never have put up with this. You qualify under either lemon law and/or negligence of warranty.
Make then replace it. There is n o excuse fro this.
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yep that’s the proper fix, but the poster has had his/her jeep in there 6 weeks and then had to take it beck. If they did the proper earring i replacement it should have helped.
6 weeks is just wrong.
On my original 2018 it was bad enough (pre-steel box) that i legally forced a buy back. The 2020 was mucho better especially with the steel box

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I just talked to the parts dept of my dealer - and he says the parts needed - they cannot even order until at least middle of January as the system says no availability until then.

I'm not in a rush.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
middle of Jan. is not terrible. I can’t imagine my frustration if they had my jeep for 6 weeks, unless they gave me some kick ass loaner!

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had my 2019 looked at for this TSB back on Dec 11. Told them it pulls to the right and has experienced a slight shimmy a few times. Without any argument, they said it was a candidate for the new steering box and ordered it.

The service dept called me on 24 Dec and said they had the steering box in. Since it was right before Christmas, I didn't call back until this morning. I'm waiting for them to call back to set an appointment.

It's strange that some dealerships can't get the new boxes for awhile and mine only took 13 days.

As of now, I'm not doing this on my 2018 JLUR. The steering on it is pretty much perfect, but also has all Synergy steering parts and TB/SS brace. I don't see any reason to deal with a new steering box on it for now.

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Just picked up my 19 sport, 2 door, no suspension mods, limited slip so fac all terrain tires, after the dealer did the TSB. First impressions are dramatically less wander, and it has a stiffer feel. Would say this is well worth doing at this point.

Took three weeks for parts to come in. Dealer seemed unaware when I brought the TSB up at an oil change the beginning of the month. When I picked it up at that time he told me the parts were ordered, no eta and they had to use a separate procedure from normal warranty orders. They are a low volume Wrangler dealer and seemed genuine in the situation. No argument when I brought it up, just a need to verbally confirm the issues outlined in the TSB.

As a side note, prior to ordering mine, I drove probably 8 or 9 Wranglers and they all felt different. When mine came in, it was in the middle of the road of the prior driving experiences so your mileage may vary.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
exactly...they all seem to have a mind of there own. Past posters don’t want....or, need the update. Others have different degrees of issues. My old Sahara was terrible and when I went to the 2020 I test drove 3 similar ones and picked the one that I felt was 70% of my expectations. A few upgrades to the stabilizer, brace and track bar got me to a solid 85% The final straw was the new box which got me to home plate. If the upgraded box never came out I could have lived with it as it was.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I have been genuinely concerned that people driving behind me will call the police to report that I'm drunk becasue at times, especially in wind - it's really hard to keep the Jeep straight. and passing 18-wheelers is impossible to stay in my lane with the buffet from the wind...

So, they did a 2 minute test drive. Said it def feels loose and I just need to wait for them to get the parts.

I did ask the Service Dept about Jeep Cares - they said absolutely talk to them. As a dealer their hands are tied at times with having to wait for parts etc but they have seen people get better results by talking to Customer Service who can then expedite things.

So I have reached back to Jeep Cares with all the info they asked from me via PM.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to mention (and it may have been noted in the previous 136 pages) that I had to add some power steering fluid a few days after the TSB was completed. It was on the mark when I took it from the dealer, but dropped a bit after driving for a while.

My guess is there may have been a bit of air that worked its way out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon
Brought mine in for evaluation on 10/30/20 and they said they were ordering parts. Called the service department back today 12/30/20 because I had heard nothing since and they said they still haven't received an order placed two weeks before mine (10/13) and said to call back "in 3 weeks or so and see if we have an update".

It certainly is a bummer that some areas seem to have no issue getting these parts in while other places can't get their hands on any.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Just got mine back from the dealer this afternoon. Noticeable improvement driving on the highway. It was really windy today on the way home and I didn't have any trouble with getting pushed around on the highway. Steering feels much more solid and responsive. Dead zone is extremely small and steering responds much quicker. Now, for those of you who have dealers telling you they can't get the parts, I don't want to call your dealers liars, but let me tell you what happened to me.

I originally went to the dealer right around Thanksgiving. They checked it and agreed that I needed the work done in accordance with the TSB. They ordered the parts that day. Fast forward to December 9th, the dealership was sold and apparently all their inventory orders were zeroed out and had to be reordered under the new dealership's name. That was done. My parts came in last Friday and the service rep called me and we scheduled the work for yesterday. I was at the dealership at 8am, dropped of the JL and picked up the free loaner (thank you Jeep Waves). I figured 4 hours so I went to Bass Pro and took my time shopping, went to my local gun store and browsed, then Lowe's for some other shopping. I get a call from the dealer at 1pm....ugh we have a problem...WTH! OK, what? Apparently the parts manager gave my parts to a tech for someones else's JL. But, they had the parts for my JL enroute from Concord (I'm in NH) and would have them on the 3pm parts truck. Parts came in at 3pm and they finished up the install this morning. So, I don't know if dealers are giving you a line of BS about only being able to order once every 2 weeks or once a month. They mistakenly used my parts on another JL and were still able to get the parts for mine in less than 4 hours. Or maybe I've just got a really good dealership to work with. YMMV

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Just got mine back from the dealer this afternoon. Noticeable improvement driving on the highway. It was really windy today on the way home and I didn't have any trouble with getting pushed around on the highway. Steering feels much more solid and responsive. Dead zone is extremely small and steering responds much quicker. Now, for those of you who have dealers telling you they can't get the parts, I don't want to call your dealers liars, but let me tell you what happened to me.

I originally went to the dealer right around Thanksgiving. They checked it and agreed that I needed the work done in accordance with the TSB. They ordered the parts that day. Fast forward to December 9th, the dealership was sold and apparently all their inventory orders were zeroed out and had to be reordered under the new dealership's name. That was done. My parts came in last Friday and the service rep called me and we scheduled the work for yesterday. I was at the dealership at 8am, dropped of the JL and picked up the free loaner (thank you Jeep Waves). I figured 4 hours so I went to Bass Pro and took my time shopping, went to my local gun store and browsed, then Lowe's for some other shopping. I get a call from the dealer at 1pm....ugh we have a problem...WTH! OK, what? Apparently the parts manager gave my parts to a tech for someones else's JL. But, they had the parts for my JL enroute from Concord (I'm in NH) and would have them on the 3pm parts truck. Parts came in at 3pm and they finished up the install this morning. So, I don't know if dealers are giving you a line of BS about only being able to order once every 2 weeks or once a month. They mistakenly used my parts on another JL and were still able to get the parts for mine in less than 4 hours. Or maybe I've just got a really good dealership to work with. YMMV
Sounds like you have a competent, service-oriented dealer. My closest dealer (several in the greater San Diego area) was also great to work with on this; they got the TSB parts quicker than estimated and provided a loaner while they had my Wrangler (overnight).

Also, my experience with the new steering gear is similar to yours; very little dead spot and very positive, responsive steering...overall I am very satisfied with the TSB outcome. :like:

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
My second steel box and replacement parts were put on yesterday. The first time the TSB was done was at a different dealership it just didn’t feel right.
I also had the Mopar LCA’s put on and it’s a huge difference. It now drives great. Time will tell if it holds up, but I have a good feeling it will.
Sponsored