ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it felt tighter for sure but still pulls and wanders on the freeway. I thought I read something about a new revision of the black steel steering box but that may just have been a rumor so. This thread has been very informative so far, just long lol
My old steering box was grey and my new one is black, if that tells you anything.
Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I bet they will have an AB version at some point. Maybe even an AC. Most complex parts will go through a few revisions.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Not yet, seems reasonable next step, relatively inexpensive (assuming it’s the slightly longer non adjustable one) - it’s not side specific is it? (Driver / passenger)
No, not side specific. $60 a pair including shipping, one hour of shop time to install if you don't want to do it yourself. I noticed a real improvement, YMMV.

Later,
Johnny

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Does anyone know what the actual procedure is for this fix? I had it done a couple weeks ago and there is something that sounds loose in the front left. I'm going to fix it myself because I don't want the dealer to blame it on my lift. The noise was not present post lift and pre TSB, so I know it had to be something the dealer did when performing the TSB

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what the actual procedure is for this fix? I had it done a couple weeks ago and there is something that sounds loose in the front left. I'm going to fix it myself because I don't want the dealer to blame it on my lift. The noise was not present post lift and pre TSB, so I know it had to be something the dealer did when performing the TSB
They replace the steering box and update something in the software on the computer for the new steering box. Just for future reference, any time you have work done at a dealer, test drive the vehicle before signing off on the work and leaving the dealer.

My jeep was pulling right on my test drive after the TSB and I told them it wasn't pulling right when I dropped it off and made them fix it.

Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
The TSB (found here on page 1) is 3 pages long and lists the parts and procedure. You can get a good idea what is involved by reading it.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
The TSB (found here on page 1) is 3 pages long and lists the parts and procedure. You can get a good idea what is involved by reading it.
Thanks, I did see that. I'm really looking for the repair procedure with tq specs for all of the bolts that got touched so I can make sure everything is properly torqued down.

REPAIR PROCEDURE: 1. Replace the steering Gear. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in DealerCONNECT>Service Library under: 19 - Steering / Gear / Removal and Installation.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I did see that. I'm really looking for the repair procedure with tq specs for all of the bolts that got touched so I can make sure everything is properly torqued down.

REPAIR PROCEDURE: 1. Replace the steering Gear. Refer to the detailed service procedures available in DealerCONNECT>Service Library under: 19 - Steering / Gear / Removal and Installation.
The steering gear bolts are 44 ft lbs plus 135 degree turn. The IShaft bolt is 40 ft lbs. The pitman arm nut 184 ft lbs.

Any other torque specs can be found here.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/torque-values-for-jeep-jl-wrangler.17791/

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") D583B756-5101-4671-A9CC-8609B61AEFF6
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 4476FE63-D5C8-4D46-B52A-51D112078E87
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 8E2A8D71-AE29-49C3-A1CF-37D4397A3B95

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @hoag4147 for the info! I went out and got under the Jeep to check, and somehow the genius technician must have had to move the swaybar out of the way and completely forgot to bolt it back to the frame. It was just freaking hanging there...
WOW. Well noise problem solved. Glad you didn’t have issues driving with that disconnected. :facepalm:

Sponsored

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks @hoag4147 for the info! I went out and got under the Jeep to check, and somehow the genius technician must have had to move the swaybar out of the way and completely forgot to bolt it back to the frame. It was just freaking hanging there...
Please tell me what Dealer did the hack job on your Jeep...I don't want to end up there by chance.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Please tell me what Dealer did the hack job on your Jeep...I don't want to end up there by chance.
It's my local CJDR dealership in west MI, but I'm not going to bash them for one little mistake. They usually get me in next day and never argue when I ask them to check something out or perform a TSB.

It's more my fault for not verifying the work was done properly because I've never had an issue with them in the past... except the multiple times I've had to go back for a leaky washer fluid reservoir. Or the several times I've gone back because the person on the other end of a bluetooth call hears a terrible echo that still hasn't been fixed. Also the fact that a SFA Jeep with a disconnected swaybar could have ended up poorly the several times my wife drove it like that on the highway...

Ok screw it, it was Preferred in Grand Haven

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's my local CJDR dealership in west MI, but I'm not going to bash them for one little mistake. They usually get me in next day and never argue when I ask them to check something out or perform a TSB.

It's more my fault for not verifying the work was done properly because I've never had an issue with them in the past... except the multiple times I've had to go back for a leaky washer fluid reservoir. Or the several times I've gone back because the person on the other end of a bluetooth call hears a terrible echo that still hasn't been fixed. Also the fact that a SFA Jeep with a disconnected swaybar could have ended up poorly the several times my wife drove it like that on the highway...

Ok screw it, it was Preferred in Grand Haven
I totally understand...Thank You! Glad you resolved your problem...I have not had any Issues with my Wrangler whatsoever (knocking on wood) so far, also steering has been tight and precise since new. Merry Christmas

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Today was my return appointment after the parts came in. Dropped it off at 8AM, and they called around 2PM that is was ready. Picked it up on the way home from work this afternoon and all I can say is Wow! It is quite an improvement in steering feel and much more stable on the Interstate coming home. Very little wander if any and that was in decent wind with the tires still aired up to 40PSI. (I don't keep them there, but I usually pumped them back up when taking in to "help" their test drives. LOL)

At one point I passed between two 18-wheelers and I didn't feel like a pinball with a death grip on the wheel for a change. I love the heavier steering feel and it also feels much more responsive on turn-in...when you start to go into a turn, the Jeep responds to steering input faster...if that makes sense. Either way, I'm rather pleased. Only ding is that they left the steering wheel a bit off-center, same as a few others have experienced, but that is an easy fix I'll take care of myself when I get a few minutes.

I had already been "approved" for the steering gear on my last appointment, but after reading other's experiences, I spent most of the morning waiting on a phone call that someone wouldn't like my Yeti Track Bar, given some running into issues with the newest revision wanting the track bar changed first. In the end, nobody ever said anything. The work order states "REV F. states that if wandering is felt to replace the track bar" and further simply states "inspected bar and noticed it has already been replaced" No muss, no fuss over it! :clap:

Regarding the parts availability...while the advisor was walking over to get my paperwork, he even volunteered that he was shocked that the steering gear came in as fast as it did. He said they had had a lot of perplexing parts situations recently...parts that should have been delivered next day taking a week or more...and parts with delays and/or no eta showing up in only a few days. Here's hope you guys still waiting will get one before long!

Finally...I can't say I've read all of the nearly 2K posts in this thread, but here are a few pics for reference if they are of any value. First, my work order:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1608691003174

I also got a before and after shots of the steering gear as viewed from the front wheel well. You can see the original aluminum gear with the dull gray finish, while the new one is gloss black finish.

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1608691221851

After:
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1608691322192

It felt so good driving home after all this time, it makes me want to go buy more stuff for it again. :LOL:

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t believe this.....

just called because after getting mine back yesterday, it pulling to the right. Never did that before.
Guy said they had that happen before, and has to check if it covered.

seriously???!!!??? Wtf.
Sponsored