First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
So I’ve been waiting 3 months and you get yours in a week? I don’t understand how the some dealers are getting these in and others cannot.
Yeah...I don't get it. When they told me no ETA last week, I figured I was in for the long wait, too. I'm not holding my breath that its the right part#, either, until I see it. lol
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Concern I have is whether the reflash was done on ours. After all, there's no trace....

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Took my jeep into the dealership to have some warranty work done. I asked about the TSB, fully expecting them to tell me there's a back order and a waitlist. 3 days after dropping the jeep off for service, I got a call saying it was ready for pick up. TSB had been complete along with my other service. I double checked and the new steering box had indeed been installed. Software had been updated because my speedo was off (because of my 35's) when i test drove it before taking it home. Now I did have an issue with the jeep pulling to the right. I told the service advisor it was pulling right after they did the work and it wasn't doing that when i dropped it off. She said she'll have the tech take a look at it in the morning. 4 days, a full alignment, and steering stabilizer replaced under warranty and my jeep is back home. I noticed a huge difference in how it drives. Steering feels heavier and more responsive. The dead spot in the steering wheel shrunk significantly. I was honestly very surprised at how quickly they were able to complete the TSB, especially with the nation wide backorder on parts. But, the service advisor told me the dealership is one of a handful in the country that rebuilds Chrysler buy back vehicles and repairs them. YMMV.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
But, the service advisor told me the dealership is one of a handful in the country that rebuilds Chrysler buy back vehicles and repairs them. YMMV.
Perhaps they have a direct inventory/pipeline to steering gears for all the buybacks that were done because of steering problems. :LOL:

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps they have a direct inventory/pipeline to steering gears for all the buybacks that were done because of steering problems. :LOL:
That's my initial thought and because of that, it's possible they have priority or a larger number allotment for parts.

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I got an email from Jeep Customer Care telling me about the TSB 08-074-20 and asking me to schedule an appointment with my dealer.
Appointment is for Thursday the 17th. What do you want to bet it doesn't get done this week?
What actions did you have to take in order to receive that email? Did you contact a dealer/JeepCares, or did I come out of the blue?
Thanks

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Second dealer is re-doing the TSB. Parts ordered, no ETA on when they will be in.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I got an email from Jeep Customer Care telling me about the TSB 08-074-20 and asking me to schedule an appointment with my dealer.
Appointment is for Thursday the 17th. What do you want to bet it doesn't get done this week?
Showed up early for my appointment at the dealer yesterday for an oil change, tire rotation, and the TSB 08-074-20 steering box fix.

The service writer tells me I might have to come back for the steering fix as the tech that does those was not available. <sigh> So I tell him, "Then lets schedule it right now because I want to have it done before I drive to Florida.

So I go to the waiting room to await my oil change and about 30 minutes later, the service writer comes back and tells me the tech is going to work on my steering box, and was that OK with me?
Hell yea!

Having read the TSB and knowing what was involved, I settled in for a long wait. About 3 hours later, my Jeep was ready, no charge.
I was a bit cautious on the 30 minute drive home, but I can report that the wander appears to have been fixed. I'll know more the more I drive it.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
What actions did you have to take in order to receive that email? Did you contact a dealer/JeepCares, or did I come out of the blue?
Thanks
I had been in touch with Jeep Cares / Jeep Customer Care previously reporting the wander issue and had already been to the dealer once for what I believe was the track bar TSB which did not resolve the problem. Since my issue had already been 'elevated', apparently Customer Care found me in their file and emailed me about the latest TSB and asked me to make an appointment with my dealer. Once I had an appointment date, I told them, and they in turn contacted my dealer and told them to expect me.

I'm quite pleased that they followed up, otherwise I may have never known about the latest TSB.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Alright everyone, how many versions of the 4 door new black steel box is there now? Still on the first one??

Sponsored

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

After attempts to work with my two local dealerships, and having no success on this TSB, "it's a Wrangler" BS, I messaged the dealer I bought my Wrangler from, they are an hour and a half away, they said no problem, we'll get the TSB parts ordered now and let you know when there in to schedule a day to come down. WTF! I should have contacted them in the first place. Best dealer ever, Sam Leman's in Morton, IL.
Also, JeepCares is assisting with the parts order, they have been very helpful as well.
Not sure how dealers get paid with these TSB's, but apparently it's not a money maker for them? Directly anyway? But some dealers realize they will get return business? And others don't GAS?

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Alright everyone, how many versions of the 4 door new black steel box is there now? Still on the first one??
Same question. The steel one hardly made a difference on mine. it steers really good when first started and it’s in the lower 40’s or colder. But once it heats up, it pulls to the right most of the time and to the left once in a while.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it felt tighter for sure but still pulls and wanders on the freeway. I thought I read something about a new revision of the black steel steering box but that may just have been a rumor so. This thread has been very informative so far, just long lol

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Yeah it felt tighter for sure but still pulls and wanders on the freeway. I thought I read something about a new revision of the black steel steering box but that may just have been a rumor so. This thread has been very informative so far, just long lol
I think that the idea of a revision to the steel box came from a service tech blowing smoke up a customer's orifice. Have you tried changing to the Mopar lower front control arms? That really improved the straight line tracking for me.

Later,
Johnny

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that the idea of a revision to the steel box came from a service tech blowing smoke up a customer's orifice. Have you tried changing to the Mopar lower front control arms? That really improved the straight line tracking for me.

Later,
Johnny
Not yet, seems reasonable next step, relatively inexpensive (assuming it’s the slightly longer non adjustable one) - it’s not side specific is it? (Driver / passenger)
Sponsored