hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason I always thought 2.5 inches of lift was the max before you needed an adjustable track bar.
The Jeep drives so well now that I forgot about the track bar. I called my advisor and left a message this morning asking where my old one is, got no call back..

Anyone know the difference between the tsb trackbar and the original stock one?
At 2.5” you are at least 1/2” off center I believe. May not make much difference. My comment was related to you having an aftermarket adjustable TB and factory TBs are not. Rusted or not they should have discussed before swapping.
Sponsored

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
At 2.5” you are at least 1/2” off center I believe. May not make much difference. My comment was related to you having an aftermarket adjustable TB and factory TBs are not. Rusted or not they should have discussed before swapping.
I agree they should've said something. At the very least put my old adjustable one in the trunk so I can swap it back if I want. Hopefully he calls me back. They more than likely threw it away. I doubt anyone would go through the dumpster to look for it for me.

I blame myself for not looking thoroughly through the sheet of work they did when I picked it up. I just looked for the steering gearbox part # to verify and skipped the rest. I had to get home to get back to work asap.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
Parts finally came in and my appointment is today! I even had them open the box to validate the correct steering box. I am hopeful there will not be anymore surprises, I will report back!

Cheers

cameeel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL 2dr
After waiting 2.5 months for the parts to come in, I finally had the TSB performed yesterday and it appears that they've put the 4-Door steering box on (PN: 68507569AA). Unfortunately, I have a 2-Door MT Sport S.

Is this something that I need to have fixed, or is it immaterial?

Thanks for the help!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201211_103153

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
After waiting 2.5 months for the parts to come in, I finally had the TSB performed yesterday and it appears that they've put the 4-Door steering box on (PN: 68507569AA). Unfortunately, I have a 2-Door MT Sport S.

Thanks for the help!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201211_103153
I mean they made both a 2 door and a 4 door steering gear for a reason...

Sponsored

Vanillacon

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Thanks for the help!

I would have it addressed. You'll always wonder if it was the right gear and there may be a material difference.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Holy $^# Batman! I have a new Jeep!!

The parts have been on order for about 5 weeks and came in on Wednesday of this week. Took over this morning and picked it up tonight. The moment I started it and began moving I could tell there was a massive difference. Drove about 30 miles home and am thoroughly pleased--NO MORE WANDERING! It also was not notchy in the slightest as some have experienced after the TSB.

It was zero dark thirty when I picked it up so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see how clean the job was, but the steering wheel was perfectly straight. I have to take it back when the parts arrive for the seat belt retractor recall, but here is the invoice with the parts listed:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") KI21g2

@rustyshakelford

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Well...I'll jump in and share my experience so far. I'd been sitting on the clutch recall all summer waiting on something, anything, to come out re: steering to maybe knock both out in one swipe. (I hate leaving my car at a dealer for anything and generally avoid like the plague) Then this TSB hit, and so I finally found some time to take mine in this week. Dropped it off Tuesday morning for the clutch recall, Steering TSB, and a few other niggly things. I was impressed that when I dropped it off, the advisor said he was already familiar with the TSB. He asked if I'd done anything to the suspension, lift, spacers, etc. Told him only thing I'd changed was the trackbar (Steer Smarts) trying to help the steering/wandering on my own. He shook that off, indicated that wouldn't be a problem, gave me a loaner Cherokee, and off I went to work.

No word from the dealer until advisor called late Wednesday. Didn't need a new clutch, so parts for that recall ordered. He also said the steering was bad (duh...but relief that they agreed) and that they had ordered the new steering gear for it. "Parts will be here tomorrow, we'll call you when you can come get it". I figured I wasn't that lucky, but OK.

Thursday came and went, no call or update. By late afternoon today (Friday), I called them. Never called me back, so I stopped by on way home from work to check on things in person. Advisor apologized all over place for not calling...apparently about half of their staff is in Covid quarantine. He looked it up on the computer to see why it wasn't done. The part for the Clutch recall showed an ETA of 12/28, and the steering gear ETA was just blank...so off he went to talk to Parts dept. Came back a little while later that they had no idea when they would get the steering gear and wouldn't even be able to get an update on availability until at least 12/20.

He offered to let me keep the loaner and leave mine there until parts came in if I felt uncomfortable driving it as-is, or I could bring it home and they'd call me when the parts come in...which is what I did. Heck, been used to it wandering for two years now...I'd much rather it be safe at home in my garage. I figure I might get a call on the clutch recall part, but I'll be surprised if the steering gear ever materializes after skimming through some of this thread.

Either way, figured I'd add another story to the collection.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Just got a call on Tuesday saying my rack is available at my dealer. Have an appointment on Monday to get it fixed.

Only took them ~2 months to get the part. Let's hope it helps.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
As a follow up to my last post, I never really had a bad death wobble but after hearing all of the positives, I decided to have the TSB done. Upon picking it up, it felt much better. After a bit of driving, however, I was getting an intermittent dead spot. It was more pronounced than prior to having the TSB done and could even be felt when the Jeep was parked.

I returned it to the dealer and they were able to fix it. As others have said it drives as good as I would expect any new car to drive.

Sponsored

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
As a follow up to my last post, I never really had a bad death wobble but after hearing all of the positives, I decided to have the TSB done. Upon picking it up, it felt much better. After a bit of driving, however, I was getting an intermittent dead spot. It was more pronounced than prior to having the TSB done and could even be felt when the Jeep was parked.

I returned it to the dealer and they were able to fix it. As others have said it drives as good as I would expect any new car to drive.
What exactly did they “do” to “fix” it?! Come on now, you must have known that someone would ask! :)

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
What exactly did they “do” to “fix” it?! Come on now, you must have known that someone would ask! :)
The invoice states the problem was traced to a bushing in the steering column which was "reinstalled".

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I got an email from Jeep Customer Care telling me about the TSB 08-074-20 and asking me to schedule an appointment with my dealer.
Appointment is for Thursday the 17th. What do you want to bet it doesn't get done this week?

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Took mine TO the dealer to fix the steering box and it’s a completely different vehicle. Heavier, tighter steering with no wander at all. Might and day difference from before and now it drives like all my other vehicles. Highly, highly recommend getting the fix if you feel your 20 or earlier Jeep has light or wandering steering. It really is a huge improvement.

My timeline was about 5 weeks without any notification from Jeep or the dealer on part availability and so I sent JeepCares a PM for help. They assigned me a case and a person within a couple days and the part was at the dealer about 4 weeks later. So took a little over 2 months to fix.

Given how well the fix worked and how well Jeep Cares communicated with me, I’m pleased.

Buckeyedave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So, I called the dealer back in September to inquire about getting the steering box TSB completed on my 2018 JLUR, and they ordered the parts at that time. The steering box finally just came in last week and they got me on the schedule for this morning.
I just received a phone call from the service manager telling me that they could not perform the TSB on my Jeep because of my aftermarket suspension and because of the Synergy Sector shaft nut on the pitman arm. He told me since my Jeep was built before 1/2019 that they have to replace my Trackbar and since I already have a Steersmarts trackbar on they could not perform my TSB. He said that the trackbar that FCA would want to put on would not be as beefy as what I have on there currently. He said they have tofollow the TSB step by step.
I told him to tack the synergy bracket off and the trackbar and give it back to me and do their thing and when I get the Jeep back, I will reinstall everything. He said they sent an email to the FCA engineer on what to do, but that they can not touch my Jeep at the current time. I explained to him that I installed all of the aftermarket suspension and tie rod and draglink and teackbar and synergy bracket to hopefully help with the wandering issue, and I did that begorw the TSB even came out.
I dont know what my next step should be, as this Jeep wanders all over the road. And no, this is not my first Jeep, this is my 5th Jeep. I dont know if Jeep Cares could help me out, or if I am just SOL?
Sponsored