First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
My guess is that it was just a case of a service writer at a dealership brushing off someone that that was unhappy that he couldn't get a steering box installed right now. But, I guess that we will find out soon enough.

Later,
Johnny
No, I was told the same thing. My jeep was in the dealer for 3 weeks being repainted due to the corrosion. After the paint work, the steering box was supposed to be installed. They actually had the box right there in the dealer. They were just waiting on the body shop. The day it came out of the body shop, they got a call from cooperate to not install it due to reengineering a a new box. This was confirmed by jeep cooperate and the dealership general manager. So now ive been in a loaner for 5 weeks going on 6 until the new part arrives. I have been in touch with jeepcares on a weekly basis getting updates.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A new version of the cast iron steering box coming out the end of December? If yes, I wonder why. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-worse-after-tsb-fix.59652/post-1324396
No, I was told the same thing. My jeep was in the dealer for 3 weeks being repainted due to the corrosion. After the paint work, the steering box was supposed to be installed. They actually had the box right there in the dealer. They were just waiting on the body shop. The day it came out of the body shop, they got a call from cooperate to not install it due to reengineering a a new box. This was confirmed by jeep cooperate and the dealership general manager. So now ive been in a loaner for 5 weeks going on 6 until the new part arrives. I have been in touch with jeepcares on a weekly basis getting updates.
We apologize for any confusion. The current TSB has the correct part number to service your vehicle, and the process to order the parts has been communicated to all dealers. If you are in need of assistance, please send our team a private message with your dealer and VIN.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sooo darlene @JeepCares, if i'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that I was lied to by the dealer and jeep cares and they probably never ordered the correct part to begin with? I dont actually doubt this is the case with the nightmare ive been dealing with. I'm so fed up with this nonsense.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Sooo darlene @JeepCares, if i'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that I was lied to by the dealer and jeep cares and they probably never ordered the correct part to begin with? I dont actually doubt this is the case with the nightmare ive been dealing with. I'm so fed up with this nonsense.
Ivan, did anyone from JeepCares or Jeep Corporation actually tell you directly that the box was being re-engineered? Or, was that hearsay from the dealership?

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ivan, did anyone from JeepCares or Jeep Corporation actually tell you directly that the box was being re-engineered? Or, was that hearsay from the dealership?

Later,
Johnny
It was both Jeep customer service and dealer

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
It was both Jeep customer service and dealer
Well, the mystery continues. They're being shipped and installed daily. That's the reason I questioned the re-engineering excuse.

Later,
Johnny

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
We apologize for any confusion. The current TSB has the correct part number to service your vehicle, and the process to order the parts has been communicated to all dealers. If you are in need of assistance, please send our team a private message with your dealer and VIN.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
I have a question that may or may not have been answered yet. If I had the "old" new steering box replaced already, should I go back to the dealer and get the "new" new steering box replaced?

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
I have a question that may or may not have been answered yet. If I had the "old" new steering box replaced already, should I go back to the dealer and get the "new" new steering box replaced?
Iā€™ve been to the dealership several times. I had the steering stabilizers replace a couple times and the dealership put on order the new steering box. The next day I called the parts department to confirm on the part number and it was the steel one they had an order. A couple days later went and picked up my jeep and they put in the aluminum steering box again. I questioned the service department and they said the steel ones were on back order so thatā€™s what they put in should I be getting the steel one when it comes in ?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It amazes me how dealerships get confused on this stuff. My bet is that they don't simply go back and check. Glad I've got a dealership that doesn't seem to ever be confused. If they find something questionable, they don't do anything until they get the answer. Hell, they don't even overfill the 3.6 on oil changes! They just did my Brother's Gladiator and got it exactly right, LOL! I wouldn't trust a dealership that can't even get that right. It is a good litmus test, Lol!

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been to the dealership several times. I had the steering stabilizers replace a couple times and the dealership put on order the new steering box. The next day I called the parts department to confirm on the part number and it was the steel one they had an order. A couple days later went and picked up my jeep and they put in the aluminum steering box again. I questioned the service department and they said the steel ones were on back order so thatā€™s what they put in should I be getting the steel one when it comes in ?
:facepalm: Why would they install another AE gear. That is just crazy. definitely get the cast iron installed

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
:facepalm: Why would they install another AE gear. That is just crazy. definitely get the cast iron installed
He didn't say how it was driving with the new box Rick. If it's driving great I wouldn't take a chance on changing it.

Later,
Johnny

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, the mystery continues. They're being shipped and installed daily. That's the reason I questioned the re-engineering excuse.

Later,
Johnny
Yeah I totally believe Iā€™m being fed a bunch of BS. I think dealer screwed up and customer service is covering for them. I mean come on! I dropped it off 6 weeks ago going on 7!!!!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JLJeepGuy513 - I am unable to speak for your dealer, but I would like to investigate your situation and see how we can assist. If you currently have a case open with Jeep Customer Care, please PM me with your case number.

@timn1984 and @jlgolfcart - If you are still experiencing steering concerns and are unsure if the TSB was performed on your vehicle, please feel free to send us a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
As this is 126 pages - I apologize if this has been answered many times before :

Will there be an issue if you've had suspension/Alignment upgrade/work done elsewhere and you want this performed to fix the loose steering?

Thx
Sponsored