Sponsored

cjmdwyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 sting gray
Not good news from dealer..... was told a couple weeks ago by parts and service manager I was 27th on the list there to get parts and FCA was only allocating one “kit” every 7 days per dealer. So have to wait like 7 months to get parts for steering TSB. But wait it gets better! Dealer emailed me today saying FCA changed the allocation to one kit every 30 days!! So at that rate, could be 2 1/2 years.... just ridiculous. For the hell of it I test drove a 2021 Last weekend and it drove so much better! Steering was night and day better. So they have the new steel steering gears to build new wranglers and gladiators, but are not supplying nearly enough to dealers to fix the 2018 through 2020 wranglers and leaving us hanging. Not cool FCA...
Sponsored

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Please tell me that this one is not the i-shaft bolt. My dealer had reused the old bolts, so I brought the car back and they said they now installed 5 new bolts. I had marked the 4 gear box bolts and this one (assuming it's the i-shaft bolt) with a sharpie. The gear box bolts have definitely been replaced, but this one is still there.

20201118_133119.jpg

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Please tell me that this one is not the i-shaft bolt. My dealer had reused the old bolts, so I brought the car back and they said they now installed 5 new bolts. I had marked the 4 gear box bolts and this one (assuming it's the i-shaft bolt) with a sharpie. The gear box bolts have definitely been replaced, but this one is still there.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201118_133119
@johnbyron yes that is it. I had marked the head of the bolt with a sharpie as well to ensure they replaced it during the work. Luckily they replaced all 5 bolts during my TSB work.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
@johnbyron yes that is it. I had marked the head of the bolt with a sharpie as well to ensure they replaced it during the work. Luckily they replaced all 5 bolts during my TSB work.
Thanks. FML! They screwed up a second time!
They swore they changed 5 screws and they ordered the correct part number. As far as I know the same screw is used also as part 6 in this diagram, so I am afraid they replaced that one instead and torqued it to 40. I have two questions:
1- What's the torque value for bolt 6? I hope it's 40, otherwise that bolt needs to be fixed
2- How difficult would it be for me to replace the i-shaft bolt by myself? It looks light I might be able to get to the hex head by turning the steering wheel, but I am not sure a torque wrench would fit in that tight space.

six.jpeg

Last edited:

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Thanks. FML! They screwed up a second time!
They sweared they changed 5 screws and they ordered the correct part number. As far as I know the same screw is used also as part 6 in this diagram, so I am afraid they replaced that one instead and torqued it to 40. I have two questions:
1- What's the torque value for bolt 6? I hope it's 40, otherwise that bolt needs to be fixed
2- How difficult would it be for me to replace the i-shaft bolt by myself? It looks light I might be able to get to the hex head by turning the steering wheel, but I am not sure a torque wrench would fit in that tight space.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") six
@johnbyron here is a post @blnewt posted and he was able to get to it with some extensions and his torque wrench. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...for-improved-steering-feel.56363/post-1277080

Sponsored

soringorgan

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
I think there are 2 revisions. The 3rd one I believe includes the Diesel from what I remember.
I need that Rev, I have the EcoDiesel, and is so loose. Do you happen to have the Rev C?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I need that Rev, I have the EcoDiesel, and is so loose. Do you happen to have the Rev C?
Maybe send a DM to @JeepCares and attach this and request a full copy of all pages. Maybe they will provide.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") E6BAF3F6-18CD-47A0-A095-A0ADD1015F82

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

20201118_133119.jpg
Raise some hell, and take it back. They are responsible if it breaks. If you screw it up, it is on you. Plus, demand a loaner, until they fix it correctly.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
After two months mine finally gets the new box installed on Monday! Dealer ordered the wrong one first time luckily I asked what the two last letters were on the one that came in and told him that that was the wrong one. Jeep cares been trying to help get the correct expedited. Fingers crossed they install everything right!

Sponsored

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
Went to the dealer for a few things since i was there, had them inspect for wandering to the right. Dealer was great and got the process started no real time frame just about 30 jeeps waiting on the same part. @JeepCares anyway to speed up these order times on parts?

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Raise some hell, and take it back. They are responsible if it breaks. If you screw it up, it is on you. Plus, demand a loaner, until they fix it correctly.
I was terribly afraid of bringing it back, as I was scared they would fix one thing and screw up another one for the third time, but yes, since their work is under warranty, I decided to go back and I was able to speak with a manager. The manager seemed to be the only person with some sense. They explained to me that the first time the mechanic said they received 3 steering box bolts instead of 4 and so decided to use the old ones. The manager said they just found out and they were pissed and told the mechanic they should have not performed the TSB without all bolts.
The second time the mechanic did replace the steering box bolts but, instead of replacing the i-shaft pinch bolt, they replaced the bolt that connects the upper i-shaft with the steering column (which has nothing to do with the TSB). Also in this case, the manager was surprised and sorry and asked me to bring the Jeep in on Monday so that they can replace the remaining bolt and check to make sure everything looks good.

FreddyS

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The rev c didn't cover my diesel. The diesel has a different part number. Jeep cares noted that the part is not available for it yet. My dealer confirmed that was well. Mine was absolutely terrible with slop. I slowly adjusted my sector gear and that took about 80-90% of the dead spot away. To each their own and your mileage may vary, but for me, it's a whole different vehicle now. I made several very small adjustments and ended up with a 1/4 turn being the sweet spot. My JLURD is on stock suspension. I've installed a Teraflex steering stabilizer and TF track bar and the mopar extended lca's and it's not bad now. It will hold a straight line.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Hooray, I finally got the TSB applied to my Wrangler after waiting since mid-August for parts. The dealer didn't perform an alignment afterwards though, so my steering wheel is not completely straight. Minus the lack of alignment, initial impressions of the TSB are good; my previous steering box was AC.

The TSB is now up to Revision E according to the paperwork.

206dude

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I took my 2018 JLUR into the dealer today. They agreed the TSB was applicable, but parts are on order until 12/20/20 at the earliest.
Sponsored