hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I will think about it. Bringing the Jeep in again just makes me worried they are going to do more damage. I recall @jeep-v saying the old screws shouldn't be a problem as long as driving improves.
I would keep an eye on tightness. Maybe someone more experienced with this can weigh in but the different types of metals is not recommended.
Other option may be have them provide you the proper bolts and you do exchange yourself. Just a thought. Good luck which ever you choose man.
Sponsored

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer called me yesterday and said that all 10 of his steering box orders have been cancelled. I took it in 52 days ago for evaluation and there were a few Jeep’s in front of ours waiting on the box. We were told it would be ordered. Now we are being told FCA cancelled their orders.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
My dealer called me yesterday and said that all 10 of his steering box orders have been cancelled. I took it in 52 days ago for evaluation and there were a few Jeep’s in front of ours waiting on the box. We were told it would be ordered. Now we are being told FCA cancelled their orders.
Any Reason why?

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Just got my jeep back and all I can say is WOW. The loose steering is about 96% gone. Nearly immediate response when turning the steering wheel. Lets hope this keep up. Just a fyi, I had to wait a total of about 3 months before they got everything in. Took them about 2 days to get it done. worth it.

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
Just got my jeep back and all I can say is WOW. The loose steering is about 96% gone. Nearly immediate response when turning the steering wheel. Lets hope this keep up. Just a fyi, I had to wait a total of about 3 months before they got everything in. Took them about 2 days to get it done. worth it.
any wandering to the left or right when steering wheel is dead center?

did they do alignment after installing the box?

Sponsored

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
any wandering to the left or right when steering wheel is dead center?

did they do alignment after installing the box?
They claimed that they did an alignment but there were no spec sheet included in my paperwork. It used to pull quite a bit to the right. Still does but not nearly as much. IMO if I feel like it does wander, it’s due to the gusts of wind.

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
I will think about it. Bringing the Jeep in again just makes me worried they are going to do more damage. I recall @jeep-v saying the old screws shouldn't be a problem as long as driving improves.
Also, I checked my long bolts and short ones - they are all metal (you can do it with magnet). Some folks posted about Aluminum bolts - I doubt any manufacturer would even consider putting Alu fasteners in the suspension/steering. Control arms - yes, shafts, bolts and nuts - no.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Also, I checked my long bolts and short ones - they are all metal (you can do it with magnet). Some folks posted about Aluminum bolts - I doubt any manufacturer would even consider putting Alu fasteners in the suspension/steering. Control arms - yes, shafts, bolts and nuts - no.
I agree with you, but: while it makes sense that they have new part numbers for the new steering box bolts (as 2 are now shorter), why do they have a new i-shaft bolt if it's supposed to be the same material and length?

WANDRR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I originally fought the loose steering a year and a half ago, did some bandaids.. I just hear if the new TSB, so I brought my Jeep into dealer to have it done. They said they'll do it, but there's a problem..my account says restricted.....all I've wanted to do is try to fix the wandering from the beginning, and now they say the won't, I'm sitting in lobby waiting for someone to try to find out why they can't do it?? Ugh.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I agree with you, but: while it makes sense that they have new part numbers for the new steering box bolts (as 2 are now shorter), why do they have a new i-shaft bolt if it's supposed to be the same material and length?
I believe those bolts are torque-to-yeild, which means the bolt stretches and deforms when properly installed. So anytime it is loosened or removed, it has to be replaced

Sponsored

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
I believe those bolts are torque-to-yeild, which means the bolt stretches and deforms when properly installed. So anytime it is loosened or removed, it has to be replaced
Interesting. I searched around but couldn't find a confirmation they are torque-to-yield. Just to be safe I will have them swap the bolts. Hopefully they don't damage something else. Thanks!

WANDRR

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I put on an after market steering stabilizer and adjustable lower control arms. Jeep cares has just started informed me my warranty is voided and they will not fix the original problem that they now have a fix for because I tried to bandaid the original problem myself because they couldn't fix it. DO NOT BY A JEEP!!!!!!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I put on an after market steering stabilizer and adjustable lower control arms. Jeep cares has just started informed me my warranty is voided and they will not fix the original problem that they now have a fix for because I tried to bandaid the original problem myself because they couldn't fix it. DO NOT BY A JEEP!!!!!!
Those two items should not void anything related to the steering gear. They may be referencing the steering stabilizer recall. Tell them to forget changing that anyway. The only way they can say you adj LCAs are a problem is if you had them set with too much caster. They are jerking you around...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I searched around but couldn't find a confirmation they are torque-to-yield. Just to be safe I will have them swap the bolts. Hopefully they don't damage something else. Thanks!
The IShaft bolt is definitely a “one time use” bolt. Here is specs noting this.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 44FC0970-E431-4F34-8A24-C909CDF36B00

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up. I got mine done last week and was marking all my bolts and noticed they were all hand tight and not torqued down. Re-torqued everything and steering is much better!
Sponsored