Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Turns out my replacement box may have issues. The notchy steering has been isolated to the box. I’m waiting for the replacement. Let’s see how it goes
Sponsored

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How are people getting this tsb done? How did your dealer get the parts? I have been waiting for the parts for 6 weeks. The dealer said national back order and didn’t know when they would get them.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Dealers can only order a part every week or so. I don’t think it’s a back order as much as there’s a bottleneck of how quickly dealers can get them. As an FYI. I ordered mine the day after the tsb came out. I’ve been dealing with a notchy issue since then. Dealer feels it’s the box and ordered another one. I have no eta on the new box yet.

StovallH

First Name
Hyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Forester
I picked up my Jeep yesterday. The steering is definitely better! It has a stiffer feel. My wife had the same assessment. I won’t know how good it really is until the summer when the temps increase or when I go on a long trip. My steering wheel was off but dealt with that this morning.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers can only order a part every week or so. I don’t think it’s a back order as much as there’s a bottleneck of how quickly dealers can get them. As an FYI. I ordered mine the day after the tsb came out. I’ve been dealing with a notchy issue since then. Dealer feels it’s the box and ordered another one. I have no eta on the new box yet.
I'll be curious if the notch steering on my end turns out to be the same thing. Jeep goes in on Monday. Crossing my fingers the dealership can see the same issue I am, isolate and fix; because I'd almost rather have the old box at this point.

Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Put it in park and turn the wheel super slow to the left and keep going. Should hit the notches really obviously. At least that’s what mine did to show them

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Just to confirm... with the flash update as part of the TSB... did everyone loose their radio presets..? Or is there another way to check to see software version?
Just got mine back, radio was NOT reset and I'm pretty sure all the work including flashing the software was performed correctly.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
How are people getting this tsb done? How did your dealer get the parts? I have been waiting for the parts for 6 weeks. The dealer said national back order and didn’t know when they would get them.
I had to wait almost 11 weeks to get mine.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Quick update. Had my JLUR swapped to the new steering box about two weeks ago. After picking it up steering felt much better but it was notchy and grabbed a bit when turning to the right...also the steering pump was really loud and noticeable from inside.

At the same time I told them about the service rear locker light, so they ordered a new rear axle for me. It’s the only fix for now.

I took it in Wed for the rear axle swap and had them look at all the steering issues.

Picked it up today and all is just about perfect. A new tech was assigned my Jeep for the rear locker so he re-checked all the steering. He ended up re-assembling some parts of the steering column and adjusted the sway bar to address the right turn grabbing. Not sure what else he did, but it fixed everything.

Now I just hope my rear axle sensor lasts another 30,000 miles.

Good luck to everyone else. My steering fixed...I’m outta here.

Well, if anyone has any questions I’ll be hanging around. I know some have the notchiness as well.
Good To hear your jeep is all fixed! My 2021 JLUR has the steel gearbox from the factory and the steering pump is also extremely loud. Did they tell you what they did to address your steering pump noise issue?

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I just had the tsb done and The steering is better and a little stiffer. I was one of the lucky few that had good steering from the start, but I’ve only driven trucks, my YJ, and older vehicles so I can deal with some wonder. I am quite happy with the improvements.

BUt, what I’m not happy with is the Explosion of steering fluid that the service tech got all over the engine bay. The tech wiped some of it down, but really, how did he get it on the engine cover? The frame rail is soaked and it’s splattered everywhere. I’m not bringing it back so I will just have to go to a self car wash and pressure wash soap into the engine bay to clean it out.

Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I just had the tsb done and The steering is better and a little stiffer. I was one of the lucky few that had good steering from the start, but I’ve only driven trucks, my YJ, and older vehicles so I can deal with some wonder. I am quite happy with the improvements.

BUt, what I’m not happy with is the Explosion of steering fluid that the service tech got all over the engine bay. The tech wiped some of it down, but really, how did he get it on the engine cover? The frame rail is soaked and it’s splattered everywhere. I’m not bringing it back so I will just have to go to a self car wash and pressure wash soap into the engine bay to clean it out.
I wish mine was stiff. The AE aluminum box was stiffer. I should have kept it for the time being.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser

I had a pretty good amount of fluid on my frame. I didn't want dust/dirt to start sticking, so I used Brake Clean to rinse it all off.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Good To hear your jeep is all fixed! My 2021 JLUR has the steel gearbox from the factory and the steering pump is also extremely loud. Did they tell you what they did to address your steering pump noise issue?
Well, I spoke too soon about the noise. There's no more notchiness or grabbing when I turn to the right, but after the Jeep warms up I can hear the noise. The noise only occurs when I'm parked and turning the wheel to the left. I suspect this is because all of the resistance/friction its getting by trying to turn the wheel while not in motion. When I'm driving it's not noisy.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I've been waiting for over 60 days for FCA to send the dealer a steering box for me. last Friday I escalated the issue to Jeep Wave and was told the wait time is now one box per dealer every 3 weeks!

Expect the shortage to get worse.

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the new steering box installed today. It does have less play and drives better. I was just happy the dealership was good with installing it with all the aftermarket suspension and steering components. I didn't have much play to begin with, but this was a good improvement.
Sponsored

Last edited: