Sponsored

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
These are the screws on mine, they look too long, did the install the old ones? Strange, because it looks like they did order the new ones.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201025_090953
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
These are the screws on mine, they look too long, did the install the old ones? Strange, because it looks like they did order the new ones.
20201025_090953.jpg
Yes, those are the old ones :( The new ones are all the same (shorter) length and are just like the two that are currently installed on the left side of that box^^^

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Edit: Bolt torque checked, fluid levels checked and correct part number has been installed. I'm just not sure how to check if the programming was updated or if the steering system was bled.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but this one seems to be the most active so here it goes...

Steering is tighter, but now when turning the steering wheel (especially when at rest) there are a bunch of small "jumps" in the wheel. Almost as if the power steering doesn't have the umph to turn the wheel... so it's "jumpy" feeling through the steering wheel while turning from side to side. It'll then (only sometimes) make a larger jump of about .5-1inches then tighten back up.

A better analogy might be it's like tightening a rounded bolt where it slips half the time. Feels like it's grabbing, slips a notch, grabbing, slips a notch, repeat.

No sound while this is happening.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm wondering if it's the computer refresh, or maybe a bit needs to be torqued, etc.?
I’m 500 miles later and still have that notchy steering. Who knows what it is.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Ye
Yes, those are the old ones :( The new ones are all the same (shorter) length and are just like the two that are currently installed on the left side of that box^^^
Are there any issues with leaving the old ones in? I have already fighted with the dealer as they did a terrible job and I would gladly avoid another trip. The steering feels great.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are there any issues with leaving the old ones in? I have already fighted with the dealer as they did a terrible job and I would gladly avoid another trip. The steering feels great.
Should be fine, I'd confirm the torque though, mine were only about 40ft lbs and the spec is 44 ftlbs PLUS 135 degrees, this is approx 95 ft lbs. There's been several that have had this happen, seems like they may just be applying the 44 without the further 135 degree turn :(
My I-shaft bolt also wasn't torqued down (spec is 40 ft lbs there).

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I have it too...worse when turning the wheel to the right. Dealer is going to look at on Wednesday and I’ll report back. I told the Jeep drives straight now, no dead spot or pulling, but the steering pump is loud and there’s a slight notchiness/grabbing of the wheel when I turn it.

Said to bring it in. They’ll look at it as their replacing my rear diff for the service axle locker warning.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What a shame when you go get something fixed that should’ve worked properly in the first place and so many times they do a whack ass job like they know less than the owners themselves:facepalm:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What a shame when you go get something fixed that should’ve worked properly in the first place and so many times they do a whack ass job like they know less than the owners themselves:facepalm:
So true, only warranty work or work I don't have the proper diagnostic tools will anyone else ever touch my JL :(
And when they do I have to verify that everything was done properly, and sadly most of the time there's things that were overlooked, under/over-torqued, fluids low, missing, or spilled. And the vehicle might be scratched or dealt with in a manner I wouldn't be happy about :(

Youtube DIY videos, vehicle forums, combined w/ an extensive tool collection is a blessing! Has saved me enough to buy plenty more tools lol.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have it too...worse when turning the wheel to the right. Dealer is going to look at on Wednesday and I’ll report back. I told the Jeep drives straight now, no dead spot or pulling, but the steering pump is loud and there’s a slight notchiness/grabbing of the wheel when I turn it.

Said to bring it in. They’ll look at it as their replacing my rear diff for the service axle locker warning.
Mine has gotten a bit better, but it's still there after 200 miles. Mine is about the same each way, but I notice it the most when turning left.

Let us know what they find. I'm planning on contacting the dealer on Monday to schedule them to take a look. :(

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Should the upper joints of the steering shaft have grease and gunk in them?

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has gotten a bit better, but it's still there after 200 miles. Mine is about the same each way, but I notice it the most when turning left.

Let us know what they find. I'm planning on contacting the dealer on Monday to schedule them to take a look. :(
Lifted the front axle so the tires were off the ground and cycled the steering full lock each way about 20 times with the engine off.

I didn't observe any bubbles coming out of the reservoir, but the feeling is better. However, there is still the jittery steering at slow speeds when turning to the left.

It's interesting that it's now only in one direction, but the opposite of what @Saejin is experiencing.

I'm staring to think it's not a case (at lease not fully a case) of the power steering having not been bled, etc.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Lifted the front axle so the tires were off the ground and cycled the steering full lock each way about 20 times with the engine off.

I didn't observe any bubbles coming out of the reservoir, but the feeling is better. However, there is still the jittery steering at slow speeds when turning to the left.

It's interesting that it's now only in one direction, but the opposite of what @Saejin is experiencing.

I'm staring to think it's not a case (at lease not fully a case) of the power steering having not been bled, etc.
Mine is at 10 o clock and 4 o clock for sure. Gave my vin to Jeep cares on Wednesday. Haven’t heard back yet. I had a pro go through my suspension. Replaced tie rod drag link and track bar. It was t any of those in my case. He believes it’s the box pump or programming
Sponsored