Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
Hey there!
I just had mine done today, steering feels "lighter" than before as well "less responsive" meaning it seems to take more turns of the wheel to get the Jeep to turn in either direction...?
I know "feeling" is a subjective measurement, although what are other peoples experience so far, is this "normal" that is seems to take a full rotation of the steering wheel to get it turn a corner while driving? I was trying to remember stock...but either my memory is failing or..?

It is confirmed to have the correct steering box/gear (Black cast iron) as well they confirmed they updated the software.

Any feedback/input would be great.
Did you have any wandering right or left before the fix and is it fixed now??
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I dropped mine off at Tuttle Click Irvine yesterday for this TSB. I had to call FCA to get approval for a rental car because they say that they do not issue loaners. Joke #1. And the dealership just called to tell me they denied the steering gear replacement because the technician said I have aftermarket wheels and tires (see pic of the factory wheels and tires - the tech should be fired that they don't even know what a factory wheel is.). Joke #2. She proceeded to tell me that the sensitivity of the auto lights is due to the window tint that I installed. Joke #3. Also denied was the fix for the right front LED Halo that they say functions properly, but the night before I took it in when I hit the high beams the halo light goes off. Joke #4. And then they denied me the request to have all software flashed (TCM/PCM/SGW/BCM/Radio).

I just got off of the phone with FCA and they are escallating the issue for me. When theres such a widely known issue with the steering on all new generation Jeeps, why do they make us jump through so many hurdles?

Tire1.jpg
Those are some fancy aftermarket wheels and tires you have there. Mine are exactly the same; uncanny with so many wheel and tire choices out there!

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Finally got the steering fixed on my 2020 JLUR.

In total:
  • They performed the TSB and flashed the system.
  • They retorqued all the bolts to spec
  • Replaced the recirculating ball
  • Replaced the intermediate steering shaft
  • Replaced the aluminum bolts with the steel bolts (should have been done initially with TSB).

I have my suspicion that the shaft may have not needed to be replaced if the bolts were initially installed correctly with the pinch bolt being a one time use bolt.

The car now drives like a Jeep, NO DEAD SPOT, NO CLICKS, IT'S NOT A JEEP THING TO HAVE A DEAD SPOT IN WHICH THE PITMAN ARM DOES NOT MOVE IN RESPONSE TO THE STEERING.

I think a big problem is that people who haven't faced this issue are confusing responsiveness with a dead spot. Jeeps are not the most responsive vehicle on the road, but they aren't broken shopping carts either.

Things to check after they do your work to make sure it's done correctly,

1. Ensure they refill the power steering fluid. They left mine bone dry after the TSB.
  2. Make sure that they replace the steering box with the all black steel box.
  3. Ensure they replace the aluminum bolts with the new steel bolts after the TSB is performed. When you mix metals galvanic corrosion can occur over time.
  4. If you have a dead spot in the steering after the TSB is performed DO NOT ACCEPT IT AS A JEEP THING. IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE THAT CAN BE RESOLVED WITH PROPER DUE DILLIGANCE FROM YOUR MECHANIC.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hey there!
I just had mine done today, steering feels "lighter" than before as well "less responsive" meaning it seems to take more turns of the wheel to get the Jeep to turn in either direction...?
I know "feeling" is a subjective measurement, although what are other peoples experience so far, is this "normal" that is seems to take a full rotation of the steering wheel to get it turn a corner while driving? I was trying to remember stock...but either my memory is failing or..?

It is confirmed to have the correct steering box/gear (Black cast iron) as well they confirmed they updated the software.

Any feedback/input would be great.
Might check the box part#, maybe they installed the 2dr box in yours. Been a couple cases where they installed the wrong box.
They ordered a 4dr box for mine (but caught the error before it was actually installed).
68507569AAGear, Steering - Four Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)
68507571AAGear, Steering - Two Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Might check the box part#, maybe they installed the 2dr box in yours. Been a couple cases where they installed the wrong box.
They ordered a 4dr box for mine (but caught the error before it was actually installed).
68507569AAGear, Steering - Four Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)
68507571AAGear, Steering - Two Door, Left Hand Drive (JL)
It is the correct part..double...triple checked!
This weekend will be the big test..will drive an hour down the highway (not a big road test)..but more than what I have done so far.
The slack in the middle and the pulling seemed to minimized/gone... but again not 100% sure yet.

Has anyone else noticed the steering is "lighter" ...less effort to turn?

The fluid was low (not empty) when I went to pick it up...so I had them top it off before I left and it doesn't look like it's gone down since... so thats a good sign I hope as well (no air)

Sponsored

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just had the TSB denied because of my rubi suspension swap and 285/75/R17s. The TSB has been updated to include a stipulation about lifts. I talked to the tech that worked on it and the service manager. They've already started a case and it does seem like they're trying to back me on this. They did the reprogramming part, definitely a huge change for the better in feel but it wanders just the same. The box flexing isn't fixed by a software update.
They were nice enough to give me a copy of the TSB, note that the alignment must fall within specs for your Jeep from factory, Sport/Sahara/Rubicon will change the values for caster. Something to keep in mind before you take it in I guess. They've told me to swap it back to stock and I have an appointment next week. I'm only 0.2 degrees low on caster, min is 4.4 for a sport, not sure about other trims.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") TSB08-074-20pg1

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") TSB08-074-20pg2

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") TSB08-074-20pg3

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I just had the TSB denied because of my rubi suspension swap and 285/75/R17s. The TSB has been updated to include a stipulation about lifts. I talked to the tech that worked on it and the service manager. They've already started a case and it does seem like they're trying to back me on this. They did the reprogramming part, definitely a huge change for the better in feel but it wanders just the same. The box flexing isn't fixed by a software update.
They were nice enough to give me a copy of the TSB, note that the alignment must fall within specs for your Jeep from factory, Sport/Sahara/Rubicon will change the values for caster. Something to keep in mind before you take it in I guess. They've told me to swap it back to stock and I have an appointment next week. I'm only 0.2 degrees low on caster, min is 4.4 for a sport, not sure about other trims.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") TSB08-074-20pg3

Sorry but that dealer is feeding you BS

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase

Have JeepCares deal with the then.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: Bolt torque checked, fluid levels checked and correct part number has been installed. I'm just not sure how to check if the programming was updated or if the steering system was bled.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but this one seems to be the most active so here it goes...

Steering is tighter, but now when turning the steering wheel (especially when at rest) there are a bunch of small "jumps" in the wheel. Almost as if the power steering doesn't have the umph to turn the wheel... so it's "jumpy" feeling through the steering wheel while turning from side to side. It'll then (only sometimes) make a larger jump of about .5-1inches then tighten back up.

A better analogy might be it's like tightening a rounded bolt where it slips half the time. Feels like it's grabbing, slips a notch, grabbing, slips a notch, repeat.

No sound while this is happening.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm wondering if it's the computer refresh, or maybe a bit needs to be torqued, etc.?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: Bolt torque checked, fluid levels checked and correct part number has been installed. I'm just not sure how to check if the programming was updated or if the steering system was bled.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but this one seems to be the most active so here it goes...

Steering is tighter, but now when turning the steering wheel (especially when at rest) there are a bunch of small "jumps" in the wheel. Almost as if the power steering doesn't have the umph to turn the wheel... so it's "jumpy" feeling through the steering wheel while turning from side to side. It'll then (only sometimes) make a larger jump of about .5-1inches then tighten back up.

A better analogy might be it's like tightening a rounded bolt where it slips half the time. Feels like it's grabbing, slips a notch, grabbing, slips a notch, repeat.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm wondering if it's the computer refresh, or maybe a bit needs to be torqued, etc.?
My guess is air in lines. It should work it’s way out. But this is truly a GUESS.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is air in lines. It should work it’s way out. But this is truly a GUESS.
I'm hoping that's the case. I figure I'll give it through the weekend and take it in on Monday if I need.

I'm not sure what's involved in bleeding that system, etc., so I'm not sure how long it would take to "self correct" if it even would.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic

Sounds like the notchy steering a lot of people are talking about. There’s a way to bleed it out. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. Some have reported after driving a few hundred miles it bleeds out by itself and steers great afterwards.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
TSB08-074-20pg1.jpg

TSB08-074-20pg2.jpg

TSB08-074-20pg3.jpg
If it's coming down to alignment, get the longer Mopar LCAs (which you should have anyway after swapping to Rubicon suspension for best driving performance) to get Caster back to 6 degrees, and try another dealer if they give you grief after that.
Here's my install post on those
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Have JeepCares deal with the then.
Already PM'd Jeep Cares they don't deal with Canadian customers. I have a case open with FCA customer care up here we'll see how it goes. I suggested the lift kit LCAs and the tech thought it'd work to bring it into alignment but FCA has specifically said to return to stock for further diagnosis. Dealer has a case open with them as well. I am debating simply asking another dealership, there's a pretty good one about 45-50 min from me. They also own a 4x4 custom shop and sell a lot of "pre-built" jeeps, I imagine they are more mod-friendly. They made an appointment for Friday next week so I have lots of time to swap out the springs/shocks/wheels and throw on the stock sway bar links if necessary

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Got the new steering gear installed today. It is so MUCH BETTER than before! It drives straighter, the steering wheel feels firmer and requires much less adjustment while driving. I still need to get it on the highway for a longer drive to be sure.
Sponsored