Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Don't feel bad as I'm going through similar issues. Took my bone stock, 2019 Sport in a couple weeks ago and was told everything looked fine. Mentioned the TSB and they decided to keep it another day. Called me back and said they would document my complaint but the technician could not find anything wrong with the steering.

Contacted JeepCares and they put me in contact with Chrysler. I now have a Chrysler Case Manager and an open case for my steering issue. My case manager was not aware of the TSB but did research it and called me back the next day. She informed me that my Jeep did qualify for the TSB but unfortunately they could not force dealers do the repair.

Basically now I have 2 options....go to another dealer or pay for the repair and parts myself...submit the receipts and Chrysler will reimburse me. I do not feel as though I should have to do that on a vehicle that is still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty. I'm not very thrilled with how things are going at this point.

I have an appointment Friday morning with another dealer. Wife and I are going to drop it off tomorrow afternoon and I'm going with a copy of the TSB. I plan to give one to the service advisor and / or service manager and I plan to leave one in the drivers seat.
That's exactly what I did, and from what I've seen on this forum, you might want to use a highlight pen to highlight the parts on the TSB for your specific model. ;)
Sponsored

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Have an appointment for the install next Wednesday. My service advisor says that that all the parts that are needed are in. I spoke with the parts department, a PO was never cut for the 5 bolts. Already a couple months and 5 visits on this issue. Wish me well....

BertieBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Don't feel bad as I'm going through similar issues. Took my bone stock, 2019 Sport in a couple weeks ago and was told everything looked fine. Mentioned the TSB and they decided to keep it another day. Called me back and said they would document my complaint but the technician could not find anything wrong with the steering.

Contacted JeepCares and they put me in contact with Chrysler. I now have a Chrysler Case Manager and an open case for my steering issue. My case manager was not aware of the TSB but did research it and called me back the next day. She informed me that my Jeep did qualify for the TSB but unfortunately they could not force dealers do the repair.

Basically now I have 2 options....go to another dealer or pay for the repair and parts myself...submit the receipts and Chrysler will reimburse me. I do not feel as though I should have to do that on a vehicle that is still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty. I'm not very thrilled with how things are going at this point.

I have an appointment Friday morning with another dealer. Wife and I are going to drop it off tomorrow afternoon and I'm going with a copy of the TSB. I plan to give one to the service advisor and / or service manager and I plan to leave one in the drivers seat.
I’ve been waiting three weeks for my new steering box. My steering is so bad, the dealer asked me if I was okay driving it. Um...did I have a choice the first time I took it in for steering and they told me it was “normal” (different dealer). Even the tech that test drove it turned around at the next light and brought it right back. Now I have to take it in tomorrow for a bad heater core. Antifreeze smells awesome in the cabin! ‍

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I *think* that dealerships test drives are part of the problem. It was in my case. We gave them the TSB when we brought the Jeep in and told them the symptoms we have.

They pick a test route that is smooth, has good sight lines, and they likely won't have accidents and insurance claims. The tech doesn't talk to owners. When we got home we checked the card in the dashcam; it showed that the drive was 6 minutes long, and speed was 40-60 km. They would have done better if they had taken it for a coffee run!

Our problem would show at highway speed. Wandering. and the other issues in the tsb. They also took another new jeep for a drive, and said it was the same. So?

So in our case the dealer network doesn't know how to listen, or read.

FCA should check this forum and the Gladiator forum to see how bad the problem really is. If they don't some lawyer will and see that there's a lot of people who might want a class action law suit.

Last edited:

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Hey there!
I just had mine done today, steering feels "lighter" than before as well "less responsive" meaning it seems to take more turns of the wheel to get the Jeep to turn in either direction...?
I know "feeling" is a subjective measurement, although what are other peoples experience so far, is this "normal" that is seems to take a full rotation of the steering wheel to get it turn a corner while driving? I was trying to remember stock...but either my memory is failing or..?

It is confirmed to have the correct steering box/gear (Black cast iron) as well they confirmed they updated the software.

Any feedback/input would be great.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Yeah that is why we took videos before then after. Really helps to document and see the actual change if any. Actually told the service guy there was a video of the before to compare to if required. That way the Dealer could not dispute much if the new box made steering worse in any way.

Would suspect that the Members of this forum are the bleeding edge in terms of learning about and identifying JL problems. So some Dealers can be far behind in knowing about this TSB and how to address it. The wording of this TSB is at the request of the Owner - which is something they are not at all used to seeing. Makes sense as FCA knows this a long-standing problem with most all JLs and new JLs apparently have the updated box installed now.

We were informed in some instances even though the Tech did not find any steering problem - the Dealer still went ahead with the TSB because the owner requested it be done. But as noted in another post it appears to still be at the discretion of some Dealers if they want to do the TSB or not. In that event try another dealer and get Jeep Cares involved beforehand.

Steering play at highway speeds should be about a 1/4” either way vs about and inch either way before. Actually was ok with the 2” play until my son told me he thought there was quite a bit of disconnect. Until that point thought it was “normal and a Jeep thing”.

Anyways cross your fingers and hope there is a noticeable improvement. Makes the driving experience even better than before. If steering is worse - bring it back to the Dealer and have them sort it for you.

Unfortunately ours is going back in next week to document and see how they will correct some hinge and hood corrosion problems. PITA but it is what it is.

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Yeah that is why we took videos before then after. Really helps to document and see the actual change if any. Actually told the service guy there was a video of the before to compare to if required. That way the Dealer could not dispute much if the new box made steering worse in any way.

Would suspect that the Members of this forum are the bleeding edge in terms of learning about and identifying JL problems. So some Dealers can be far behind in knowing about this TSB and how to address it. The wording of this TSB is at the request of the Owner - which is something they are not at all used to seeing. Makes sense as FCA knows this a long-standing problem with most all JLs and new JLs apparently have the updated box installed now.

We were informed in some instances even though the Tech did not find any steering problem - the Dealer still went ahead with the TSB because the owner requested it be done. But as noted in another post it appears to still be at the discretion of some Dealers if they want to do the TSB or not. In that event try another dealer and get Jeep Cares involved beforehand.

Steering play at highway speeds should be about a 1/4” either way vs about and inch either way before. Actually was ok with the 2” play until my son told me he thought there was quite a bit of disconnect. Until that point thought it was “normal and a Jeep thing”.

Anyways cross your fingers and hope there is a noticeable improvement. Makes the driving experience even better than before. If steering is worse - bring it back to the Dealer and have them sort it for you.

Unfortunately ours is going back in next week to document and see how they will correct some hinge and hood corrosion problems. PITA but it is what it is.
Hey BRuby!
Thanks for the response, although I was hoping more for what you have seen/feel from before and after, (sorry not being a Di@K) but you didn't answer. Any chance you could post/point me to the videos you took? As I was mentioning it seem much lighter i the steering wheel then it feels I have to turn the steering wheel more than what I was used to, to get the Jeep to turn. (maybe it's my bad memory?). Did the gear ratio change?

Again sorry not being a DI@k, just looking for clear response as I tried to sift through many different posts and MANY pages in this post...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there!
I just had mine done today, steering feels "lighter" than before as well "less responsive" meaning it seems to take more turns of the wheel to get the Jeep to turn in either direction...?
I know "feeling" is a subjective measurement, although what are other peoples experience so far, is this "normal" that is seems to take a full rotation of the steering wheel to get it turn a corner while driving? I was trying to remember stock...but either my memory is failing or..?

It is confirmed to have the correct steering box/gear (Black cast iron) as well they confirmed they updated the software.

Any feedback/input would be great.
Make sure you have 4dr version - has been a couple installs with 2dr on 4dr and like wise. Lift plastic fender liner in front of spring on driver side and make sure the part number is 68507569AA.

also - while you are down there, snap a couple pics and upload here. Try to take pic of mounting also from underside

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Here is the pic.. looks like the right part number.
Any other pics?

20201022_165108.jpg

20201022_165406.jpg

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the pic.. looks like the right part number.
Any other pics?

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201022_165406

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20201022_165406
Definitely correct box and from that second pic it appears they installed proper bolts, at least the one is not 3 inches too long. Sorry not much help but wanted to at least eliminate the wrong gear box being installed.

Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW

Did you forward this info on to @JeepCares ? I believe they can trump the case manager and get the dealership to do the service. Especially when still under warranty.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Hey BRuby!
Thanks for the response, although I was hoping more for what you have seen/feel from before and after, (sorry not being a Di@K) but you didn't answer. Any chance you could post/point me to the videos you took? As I was mentioning it seem much lighter i the steering wheel then it feels I have to turn the steering wheel more than what I was used to, to get the Jeep to turn. (maybe it's my bad memory?). Did the gear ratio change?

Again sorry not being a DI@k, just looking for clear response as I tried to sift through many different posts and MANY pages in this post...
As @hoag4147 said, they installed a 4 door in my 2 door and the steering felt looser like you described.

But looks like you have the 2 door with the right steering gear installed. I’m guessing they didn’t tighten something?

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
Mine is a 4dr. JLUR.
This is the correct part for a 4 door?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

DDM4V7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I *think* that dealerships test drives are part of the problem. It was in my case. We gave them the TSB when we brought the Jeep in and told them the symptoms we have.

They pick a test route that is smooth, has good sight lines, and they likely won't have accidents and insurance claims. The tech doesn't talk to owners. When we got home we checked the card in the dashcam; it showed that the drive was 6 minutes long, and speed was 40-60 km. They would have done better if they had taken it for a coffee run!

Our problem would show at highway speed. Wandering. and the other issues in the tsb. They also took another new jeep for a drive, and said it was the same. So?

So in our case the dealer network doesn't know how to listen, or read.

FCA should check this forum and the Gladiator forum to see how bad the problem really is. If they don't some lawyer will and see that there's a lot of people who might want a class action law suit.

The service advisor at the last dealership was polite, respectful and listened but basic reading comprehension evidently was not her strong suit. I asked if she had read the TSB and she replied, "I did." I then asked had she read the sentence that stated if the customer presents with these issues to perform the repair and she replied, "I did but the tech could not duplicate the issue."
Did you forward this info on to @JeepCares ? I believe they can trump the case manager and get the dealership to do the service. Especially when still under warranty.
That is interesting! I will have to see what happens tomorrow at the other dealership. I gave the advisor a copy of the TSB and left a copy in the drivers seat. Thanks for letting me know about contacting Jeep Cares again. I was under the impression that Jeep Cares simply turned my issue over to FCA Customer Care.
Sponsored