First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
All you guys getting your steering gear replaced, are any of you lifted on 37s? My steering isn’t super bad but does wander a bit. I’m afraid to bring it in and have them tell me they won’t do anything because the lift and tires.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
All you guys getting your steering gear replaced, are any of you lifted on 37s? My steering isn’t super bad but does wander a bit. I’m afraid to bring it in and have them tell me they won’t do anything because the lift and tires.
I am. Mopar lift, Steer Smarts Yeti XD Pro Track Bar, Fox 2.0 ATS SS and 37s. There is a note in the latest TSB referencing lifted rigs. Should not be an issue, but certain dealers are tougher than others.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 9798C8C1-164D-409A-99FF-BEC77371CF78

JaxPilot

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito! Sahara 2.0L Turbo
I've got an AEV DualSport 2.5" lift, Clayton HD Trackbar, KMC 17" wheels and Falken 35's. The Jeep is light, so I have almost 3.5" of lift. My steering just had about a 2-3" dead spot in the middle. Not terrible, just not good. I went in expecting a knock-down drag out, read the TSB as my symptoms, and they didn't even blink. Left it at 3 pm Monday, and picked it up at noon Tuesday.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I am. Mopar lift, Steer Smarts Yeti XD Pro Track Bar, Fox 2.0 ATS SS and 37s. There is a note in the latest TSB referencing lifted rigs. Should not be an issue, but certain dealers are tougher than others.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 9798C8C1-164D-409A-99FF-BEC77371CF78
I’m guessing the “service wheel alignment specifications” means they’ll check the alignment first? And if it’s within specs they’ll do it and if not they’ll likely recommend an alignment?

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
Picked mine up today definitely better, sorry all you guys having issues getting it done. Fluid Level is on low but ill keep an eye on it. They did an alignment after.

It still drives like a solid axle jeep but much smoother and I can one hand it doing 80mph.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m guessing the “service wheel alignment specifications” means they’ll check the alignment first? And if it’s within specs they’ll do it and if not they’ll likely recommend an alignment?
Possibly. Mine was approved and completed without any diagnoses. I believe most standard lifts will pass with no issue.

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
Picked mine up today definitely better, sorry all you guys having issues getting it done. Fluid Level is on low but ill keep an eye on it. They did an alignment after.

It still drives like a solid axle jeep but much smoother and I can one hand it doing 80mph.
Did you have right or left wander prior to getting the TSB done?

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
Had my 2-door completed today at the local dealer.

-correct box installed
-correct mount bolts installed

She drove noticeably sharper on the drive home. The slop is definitely tightened and steering more precise.

I have a 2" spacer lift, 35's, and aftermarket fenders/liners and they gave me absolutely no headache in getting the job done.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
For those who have had steering wander to the right or left when the steering wheel is dead center, has getting the new steering box fixed this issue completely or is wander still present?
Mine wandered to the right mostly, occasionally to the left, but mostly to the right... I had to turn the wheel out of the dead spot and just kind of rest it against the bite point to go "straight"... When it was windy out or on bad roads or multi lane highways, I drove like I was drunk, constantly trying to guess how much to turn the wheel to get back to straight.

This TSB fixed it for me. Center dead spot is gone. No wandering and no wondering if I'm gonna be pulled over for a DUI. Sadly, it doesn't seem to "drive like a Jeep" or "like it has a solid front axle" (whatever that means). I'll just have to make do with it steering like a regular vehicle.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey guys, new here after searching around for solutions to my wonky jeep steering. It pulls to the right and is scary to drive at highway speeds. Dealer won't perform the TBS. It "drives like a jeep." I saw people were mentioning to pm @JeepCares Can someone tell me how to do that? Is it the "start a conversation"? Thanks again for your help
There's a post from JeepCares here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hello-from-jeepcares.3575/

click on the icon--you can PM from there where it says "Start a Conversation"

Others use @JeepCares However I've not contacted them that way.

Hope this helps.

Our steering gear has been replaced. I needed help to get it done. Same as you!

Sponsored

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
update for my experience - overall it was great. I double checked per everyone's advice and correct box is installed. Much improved steering feel, deadspot is reduced 80%. Dealer didn't give me much trouble after I discussed the TSB. Took a few tries though as the first box they put in was bad and I had to wait for a new one to arrive to get it replaced. The only issue was the steering wheel was just a hair off center to the left, which I corrected with by adjusting the drag link very slightly. Drives fantastic now. Time will tell. I will need to check the torque values soon and report back.

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped mine off at Tuttle Click Irvine yesterday for this TSB. I had to call FCA to get approval for a rental car because they say that they do not issue loaners. Joke #1. And the dealership just called to tell me they denied the steering gear replacement because the technician said I have aftermarket wheels and tires (see pic of the factory wheels and tires - the tech should be fired that they don't even know what a factory wheel is.). Joke #2. She proceeded to tell me that the sensitivity of the auto lights is due to the window tint that I installed. Joke #3. Also denied was the fix for the right front LED Halo that they say functions properly, but the night before I took it in when I hit the high beams the halo light goes off. Joke #4. And then they denied me the request to have all software flashed (TCM/PCM/SGW/BCM/Radio).

I just got off of the phone with FCA and they are escallating the issue for me. When theres such a widely known issue with the steering on all new generation Jeeps, why do they make us jump through so many hurdles?

Edit & Update as of October 27.

It's now been a week and my Jeep is still at the dealer and there has been no updates on the progress of my Jeep. No work has been done or started and it has been a week as of today. I have not received a call from Jeep Cares, as I have left several messages and sent several emails, I've spoken to my service advisor at the dealer and I've called Mopar Vehicle Warranty at 1-800-992-1997 with no success. They all say its in the other persons hands. What is going on?? This is not normal customer service. It's literally been a week with absolutely no movement!!!

@JeepCares

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") Tire1

Last edited:

DDM4V7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I dropped mine off at Tuttle Click Irvine yesterday for this TSB. I had to call FCA to get approval for a rental car because they say that they do not issue loaners. Joke #1. And the dealership just called to tell me they denied the steering gear replacement because the technician said I have aftermarket wheels and tires (see pic of the factory wheels and tires - the tech should be fired that they don't even know what a factory wheel is.). Joke #2. She proceeded to tell me that the sensitivity of the auto lights is due to the window tint that I installed. Joke #3. Also denied was the fix for the right front LED Halo that they say functions properly, but the night before I took it in when I hit the high beams the halo light goes off. Joke #4. And then they denied me the request to have all software flashed (TCM/PCM/SGW/BCM/Radio).

I just got off of the phone with FCA and they are escallating the issue for me. When theres such a widely known issue with the steering on all new generation Jeeps, why do they make us jump through so many hurdles?

Tire1.jpg

Don't feel bad as I'm going through similar issues. Took my bone stock, 2019 Sport in a couple weeks ago and was told everything looked fine. Mentioned the TSB and they decided to keep it another day. Called me back and said they would document my complaint but the technician could not find anything wrong with the steering.

Contacted JeepCares and they put me in contact with Chrysler. I now have a Chrysler Case Manager and an open case for my steering issue. My case manager was not aware of the TSB but did research it and called me back the next day. She informed me that my Jeep did qualify for the TSB but unfortunately they could not force dealers do the repair.

Basically now I have 2 options....go to another dealer or pay for the repair and parts myself...submit the receipts and Chrysler will reimburse me. I do not feel as though I should have to do that on a vehicle that is still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty. I'm not very thrilled with how things are going at this point.

I have an appointment Friday morning with another dealer. Wife and I are going to drop it off tomorrow afternoon and I'm going with a copy of the TSB. I plan to give one to the service advisor and / or service manager and I plan to leave one in the drivers seat.

cjljl2018

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR, 2021 JGCL Summit Reserve
TSB completed today. Sorted my issues - drives like a new Jeep. For reference, Mopar lift running on 35's - Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Mopar Bead Locks.

Brought it in 9/17 for the initial review (I've been discussing this for over a year with my service advisor), parts by 9/30, and installed on 10/21.

Shout out to my service advisor Jim and the team at Autonation Jeep Broadway. Excellent work.

hwheeler

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I just want to report that the TSB regarding the steering worked for me. We have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport that I was not happy with regarding the excessive play (2" +) I took it back to the dealership with 4,000 miles and just mentioned the TSB. I had to set up an appointment for them to assess it and they ordered the parts and fixed it today. It did take about a month to get the parts. The Jeep drives 100% better and is much more relaxing to drive. My dealership gave me none of the "it's a Jeep thing" or any argument.
Sponsored