Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
I wonder if the notchy feel that was introduced after the TSB that others and myself are experiencing is a result of the steering box not having the sector shaft adjusted properly on the new boxes. This video shows what's going on in there:

That sounds exactly like what's happening when I rotate my wheel around the dead-spot on my JL. Not to mention I can feel a kink while my foot is on the brake corresponding with the sound so somethings definitely knocking around.
Wow that explains a lot
Sponsored

andeee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Big shout out to Jeep Cares who took care of me! My dealership kept telling me itā€™s the alignment and itā€™s nothing thatā€™s how itā€™s supposed to be. I probably complained about it as many times as I have done oil changes plus the recalls and the tie rods. So maybe about 8 visits is my estimate. I got in contact with Jeep Cares and when I brought my car back the dealership took it in without question. My steering feels completely better. Itā€™s the best itā€™s felt since Iā€™ve owned the car and I purchased it in March 2018. I waited to write this to make sure it was still good after driving it for 2 weeks.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
SO..... after investigating under the hood today.... I come to find out that the shade tree mechanics at Carman Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Wilmington Delaware didn't perform the work on my steering like they said they did and like what is documented on my paper work..... Now I am hot..... I am working in Atlanta now and wondering why I still am going all over the road..... Hmmm what BS and it is sad to know that when you trust in people always in for the big let down.... I hate chasing people around Liars for saying they completed the work that they never did accomplish..... and I wondered why when I traveled out west on the 5k road trip I had to drive with 2 hands 90% of the time...... What a shame.... I should have known better and looked back when they put my Mopar lift on backwards that they didn't have a clue and they charged me over $100 dollars an hour what a sham......
You need to contact @JeepCares like yesterday!! This is totally unacceptable from any certified Jeep dealer.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
You need to contact @JeepCares like yesterday!! This is totally unacceptable from any certified Jeep dealer.
I have contacted them gave them all my info and ...... crickets.... not sure how long it will take ...... I Will say this..... I always have to drive with 2 hands.... @JeepCares

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
I have contacted them gave them all my info and ...... crickets.... not sure how long it will take ...... I Will say this..... I always have to drive with 2 hands.... @JeepCares
When this TSB first came out, I contacted them. It took about 3 days for them to get back to me. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re much busier now, but be patient. They WILL get back to you and they will make it right, Iā€™m certain.

Sponsored

andeee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It takes a couple days. But they were really nice and helpful. I tried to tell the dealership about the TSB prior to to contacting Jeep Cares but the dealership said nope just an alignment issue.

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
So, after 4 visits, being told no 4X, @JeepCares has came through for me. Dealer called me and stated they were directed to fix my Jeep even though they disagreed. Being an adult I'll not throw the dealership under the bus on this forum. But, needless to say I'll be going elsewhere for all my future needs both for service and new vehicle purchases. I do greatly appreciate @JeepCares efforts, but still frustrated that they had to work so hard to just get a dealership to actually listen to their customer and give the cutesy of even READING THE DAMN TSB!

Rant over, will update when part is actually installed, apparently "On Order"
Strange update:

Last Monday, one week ago, JeepCares called and said part's were shipped and expected to arrive Wednesday. I've called 3x since then, zero replies or updates. Talked to the part's department yesterday, apparently no bolts are on order.

I cannot overstate my frustration with my local dealer.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Ok. Video isnā€™t showing on my iPhone though. Donā€™t know if anyone can see it.
Thanks!

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine done a few weeks ago. Everything done correctly. Dealer was great to deal with. Jeep now drives like it should. It used to have about a 1" dead spot either direction. Now it's about 1/4" which is fine. Tires move when I turn the wheel. Steering wheel returns to center as expected.
Note I have the Yeti track bar and a falcon steering stabilizer both of which helped stabilize the steering feel.
Also note the steering wheel is slightly off to the left. I expect that the dead spot was so large that getting the steering wheel centered was almost impossible previously. Also I wonder if the "pull to the right" mentioned in the TSB is partly due to steering wheels mis-aligned to the left thus creating the illusion of a pull.
Anyway, very happy with this fix. It is "the" fix for sure.

Sponsored

Msilvs777

First Name
Silver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
For anyone in Az, Chapman Jeep in Scottsdale is very service forward. Made an appt, brief chat when I arrived describing the issue and we were off for a quick test drive. Made it about a mile and they confirmed the issue. Because of lift and tires they did have a tech confirm my aftermarket parts were ok and not the cause. Met the service manager Mike during this time and he actually explained all the parts that are misdesigned and what new parts they will order. Parts are two weeks out but scheduled for a rental at that time while they do the work and could not be a better team to work with! No BS and sincere staff focused on making my Jeep right and safe.
Finally got parts in last week and Chapman was fast to get the work done! Amazing crew and very concerned about how I felt after they did the work. We have managed to put about 1k miles on and it is soo much better. Steering is as responsive as it should be for a Wrangler.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I wonder if the notchy feel that was introduced after the TSB that others and myself are experiencing is a result of the steering box not having the sector shaft adjusted properly on the new boxes. This video shows what's going on in there:

That sounds exactly like what's happening when I rotate my wheel around the dead-spot on my JL. Not to mention I can feel a kink while my foot is on the brake corresponding with the sound so somethings definitely knocking around.

Seeing that FCA won't allow dealers to do the adjustment and doing it yourself will void the warranty, it seems like a lottery to just get a good steering box from the factory with month long waits between attempts.
So IM having the same after my new gear box was installed. Is wandering associated with this or is that another area of the vehicle?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Also I wonder if the "pull to the right" mentioned in the TSB is partly due to steering wheels mis-aligned to the left thus creating the illusion of a pull.
Anyway, very happy with this fix. It is "the" fix for sure.
Very interesting idea. Iā€™ve thought about this a little. It is quite likely some drivers wouldnā€™t realize the steering wheel isnā€™t properly aligned and would always try to center it, causing the vehicle to steer to the right.
However, I like to think that the more experienced Jeepers would realize very quickly that the drag link needs correcting.
Very interesting idea nonetheless and it would be cool if we had access to some sort of data from dealerships to look through and confirm or reject this hypothesis.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
winner winner chicken dinner

Dropped off my Rubicon this morning to get the steering box replaced...I'm picking up here soon, so haven't had a chance to drive, but will report back here soon.

I also get a brand new rear diff to go with my new steering box. I got the service rear axle light a few times over the past week. Looks like it's happening to a few Rubicons over the years, not mileage dependent though. I've got a 2018 with almost 30,000 miles...lifetime warranty of course for just this reason. Won't need the extended warranty this time, but I'm sure I will later.
Sponsored

Last edited: