Sponsored

Sactown_RUBI_2020

First Name
CB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Recon
Thanks to everyone for 100+ pages of experiences. New to Jeep. Happy to be here. Bought JLUR 8/7/20, emailed service mgr. later same day about wandering / pulling/dead spot, etc. Offered no solution. Thanks to this thread, found TSB a month ago. Contacted @JeepCares & Service Mgr. Parts ordered 9/22. Work completed yesterday. Verified correct part# under hood. Bolts look new. Invoice details new parts, software update, fluid. Adjusted drag link, and they test drove. Result is night/day improvement. 2inch dead spot now tiny, no pull, firm feel. All good. What a difference. Massive thx JeepCares & Thompson’s Placerville, CA. Thx also to this incredible forum for providing what to watch for, what to say, how to respectfully advocate for yourself. Great stuff here.
Sponsored

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Just curious if anyone with the new box has felt it loosen up at all over some time now? Got mine installed about a month ago which was a night and day result but now seems to be looser with more of a dead spot. Not as bad as I had originally, but definitely not as tight as the day I left the dealership. I still need to check the torque on the bolts and track bar...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just curious if anyone with the new box has felt it loosen up at all over some time now? Got mine installed about a month ago which was a night and day result but now seems to be looser with more of a dead spot. Not as bad as I had originally, but definitely not as tight as the day I left the dealership. I still need to check the torque on the bolts and track bar...
Mine went the other way, didn't notice much of a difference (although my steering slop was only on long hot drives). Torqued bolts to correct ft lbs, still not a noticeable difference, went on 750 mile trip to Las Vegas and the steering is so good now, tight and very responsive. I have a feeling I had some air in the pump that has worked it's way out. I must say it's awesome as of now :)

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Not yet. Have had mine for a month now and it's still great.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
According to jeep cares currently the steel steering box is not available for the diesel engine Rubicon. I would quote the message I received but don't know how to do that. No estimate when the steering box will be available.

Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So my Jeep was at the dealership all day, for a supposedly 1.9 hour job. They just called and indicated all the work is done, however "while we were under there, you have a leaking radiator hose, so we'll need the car for 2 more days to get the part and install it."

I'm not too familiar with the underside of the Jeep, but is it plausible the tech was not careful enough and damaged the plumbing? I've parked my jeep in my garage since day 1 of ownership, never seen leaking radiator fluid on my epoxy garage floor, nor smelled it burning...

Hopefully the 2 months of waiting and now these further delays pay off in the end..

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
So my Jeep was at the dealership all day, for a supposedly 1.9 hour job. They just called and indicated all the work is done, however "while we were under there, you have a leaking radiator hose, so we'll need the car for 2 more days to get the part and install it."

I'm not too familiar with the underside of the Jeep, but is it plausible the tech was not careful enough and damaged the plumbing? I've parked my jeep in my garage since day 1 of ownership, never seen leaking radiator fluid on my epoxy garage floor, nor smelled it burning...

Hopefully the 2 months of waiting and now these further delays pay off in the end..
Sounds suspicious. :swear: I hope steering problem is fixed.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So after 3 weeks I finally got my Jeep back with the new steering gear box and honestly it feels the same. It might even be a bit looser. After driving a Jeep Cherokee rental for 3 weeks idk if it’s because I’ve gotten used to the rental.

Dead spot still there, I’d say about an inch like before. They aired my tires so I’ll bring them back down to 32 psi tomorrow. Everybody is talking about stiffer steering and I honestly can’t tell a difference. I also don’t know if it’s notchy because I don’t know what notchy steering is.

Does the steering fluid look low?? It looks super low to me! Also I went underneath the Jeep and can’t find the steering box. Where is it located? By the tire? And does flashed EPS mean they updated the software?

Oh and there is no way I can torque the bolts to spec so I’ll just have to have faith in the service techs. :crying:

0C3E0A60-7100-4798-B616-5FA52EF66556.jpeg

51308EF8-C6B6-49CA-A590-C212640B909C.jpeg
Hi Jenna! This sounds wild! You can see the steering box from the top of the motor. Pop your hood...find the steering arm and follow it all the way down to a "box".

If that box is black, it is a steel box. If it is shiny or "silver" it is the stock aluminum one. I've attached a picture.

Hope this helps!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") steeringbox

Last edited:

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Well I do know that the Dealership in Delaware said they completed mine.... however after 2 alignments and going to get my 3rd here in Atlanta, I am not to happy with the steering. Thanks for the update and post, now I will have to find another Dealer to say they completed the alignment and hopefully this time something will be corrected. I have 41k on mine and it just seems to be getting worse and not better, the only thing it did correct was the wobble, for a while. We will see I will have to find an ok Dealer in Atlanta......... to be continued..........

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Hi Jenna! This sounds wild! You can see the steering box from the top of the motor. Pop your hood...find the steering arm and follow it all the way down to a "box".

If that box is black, it is a steel box. If it is shiny or "silver" it is the stock aluminum one. I've attached a picture.

Hope this helps!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") steeringbox
Thanks! I was looking underneath the Jeep lol

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks! I was looking underneath the Jeep lol
It is also visible from the front driver side wheel well.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 3194CA89-68EE-4794-A643-59EC2735678A
If you slightly pull up the fender liner to the left of the shock & spring, you can clearly see whether it’s the black one or silver one.
It will be upside down and you should see the sticker with the part number just like this.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Yup...it can be seen from underneath as well..hehe ;)
I was waaaay underneath. Like in the center :CWL:

It is also visible from the front driver side wheel well.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 3194CA89-68EE-4794-A643-59EC2735678A
If you slightly pull up the fender liner to the left of the shock & spring, you can clearly see whether it’s the black one or silver one.
It will be upside down and you should see the sticker with the part number just like this.
Thanks! Even with these instructions I was looking in all the wrong places, lol. I eventually found it (ridiculously easy) and confirmed I DO have the 4 door part number. :crying::crying::crying: I called today and spoke directly with the service manager. He wasn’t aware there was a different gear box for the two door. He told me they are ordered by vin number and they’re all the same. Then I heard him comparing ratios, then told me to bring it back in tomorrow and ask to see him. I hope they figure it out and fix mine :(

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
I was waaaay underneath. Like in the center :CWL:

Thanks! Even with these instructions I was looking in all the wrong places, lol. I eventually found it (ridiculously easy) and confirmed I DO have the 4 door part number. :crying::crying::crying: I called today and spoke directly with the service manager. He wasn’t aware there was a different gear box for the two door. He told me they are ordered by vin number and they’re all the same. Then I heard him comparing ratios, then told me to bring it back in tomorrow and ask to see him. I hope they figure it out and fix mine :(
Sorry you have to deal with this even longer =(
Sponsored