Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Good point we should all agree on what we're talking about. I believe this is the thread that discusses that specific issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tsb-new-box-has-notchy-steering.57807/
I read through that thread but I’m still unsure what they mean by notchy steering. I thought it meant the steering wheel sticks sometimes but I don’t think that’s it. Well I should be receiving my Jeep next week with the new gear box according to my service advisor. I’m super nervous about it. I’ll report back with a review.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Gotcha, yeah people could be reporting "notchy" but experiencing different things, some pathologic others not. Video evidence would help I guess although if it is a "sensation" video isn't the best.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just drove 750 miles today and happy to report steering is rock solid, combined w/ the Longer Mopar LCAs I've got zero complaints (except for the bolts I had to torque properly and reinstall the steering fluid cap that was left on the side of the motor) :)

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I read through that thread but I’m still unsure what they mean by notchy steering. I thought it meant the steering wheel sticks sometimes but I don’t think that’s it. Well I should be receiving my Jeep next week with the new gear box according to my service advisor. I’m super nervous about it. I’ll report back with a review.
Hi Jennalee!

I'm really grateful that we have the new steering box installed. It's so much better. The benefits are huge. And if we had had any little issues they can be solved. But advice is to get it done. Later there will be longer waits for this new steering gear.

• Some people here have had issues when the had the work done.
  • old aluminum (gray) steering gear installed in error. It's easy to check. New one is black, cast iron
  • wrong black steering box installed in error. You want the part number for the 2 door JL. The
  • computer refresh (I have no way of checking to see if ours was done. I'm pretty sure it has.)
  • power steering fluid spill. Makes a mess in under the hood.
  • power steering fluid had aIr in it. It needs to be bled off.
  • power steering fluid level. You can check that easily, once you find the reservoir for it.
I *think* that notchy steering comes from the power steering side...
either--there is insufficient power steering fluid in the reservoir, and that's easy to check;
or--the air wasn't bled out of the power steering fluid in the system. and that should be easy to check too.

I'm not a mechanic. but that's what i think the cause is of notchy steering.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hi Jennalee!

I'm really grateful that we have the new steering box installed. It's so much better. The benefits are huge. And if we had had any little issues they can be solved. But advice is to get it done. Later there will be longer waits for this new steering gear.

• Some people here have had issues when the had the work done.
  • old aluminum (gray) steering gear installed in error. It's easy to check. New one is black, cast iron
  • wrong black steering box installed in error. You want the part number for the 2 door JL. The
  • computer refresh (I have no way of checking to see if ours was done. I'm pretty sure it has.)
  • power steering fluid spill. Makes a mess in under the hood.
  • power steering fluid had aIr in it. It needs to be bled off.
  • power steering fluid level. You can check that easily, once you find the reservoir for it.
I *think* that notchy steering comes from the power steering side...
either--there is insufficient power steering fluid in the reservoir, and that's easy to check;
or--the air wasn't bled out of the power steering fluid in the system. and that should be easy to check too.

I'm not a mechanic. but that's what i think the cause is of notchy steering.
Great post!
Don't forget bolt torque too, myself & several others have had the bolts, especially the 4 steering box bolts only tightened to about 40 ft lbs. The spec is 44 ft. lbs PLUS 135 degrees, this equates to aprox. 95 ft lbs give or take. A loose steering box could result in a very dangerous situation that you won't be able to predict :(

If you get this TSB done I would strongly recommend you verify that the 4 steering box bolts have been adequately torqued down and the I-shaft bolt has also been properly tightened (40 ft lbs on that one). And while you're checking all that stuff the track bar bolt and pitman nut should be checked as well :)

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Interesting, right after TSB was completed I started to notice unstable RPM/misfiring during warm up. After driving for a while and using fuel system cleaner - it did not improve, so I decided to inspect the work area around the gear. Touched on the intake duct clamps - they were both loose at the air filter and the intake manifold. Tighten it up - no more unstable RPM after cold start. Looks like they removed intake duct to help with access, but in my case, they forgot to tighten it back. This is exactly why I do not like anybody touching my cars, lol

I do not feel any notch in the steering - it is butter smooth, no dead spots either. Checked on bolts - it is above 95 ft-lbs. Waiting for longer LCA to arrive, so I can install it.

Last edited:

JeepRAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I think the notchiness can be from not bleeding the system. So far no notchiness from mine.

nashvillen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Took my JLU in for the second time today. Let's see if they can figure out what a TSB is and approve this. Sorry I am sounding so sarcastic, but it is clearly a problem to me.

Sponsored

Bike_Voucher

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Took my JLU in for the second time today. Let's see if they can figure out what a TSB is and approve this. Sorry I am sounding so sarcastic, but it is clearly a problem to me.
They won’t approve mine either. They test drove it for 10 min the first time down a smooth road and found no issue. They wanted me to leave it a second time at 7:45 AM so it could sit out and “warm up” in the parking lot all day to see if it replicated the issues. I don’t have time for this.

I sent a PM to Jeep Cares to see if they will get involved.

Don’t know what else to do but try a different dealer, or just live with my AE box...

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
They won’t approve mine either. They test drove it for 10 min the first time down a smooth road and found no issue. They wanted me to leave it a second time at 7:45 AM so it could sit out and “warm up” in the parking lot all day to see if it replicated the issues. I don’t have time for this.

I sent a PM to Jeep Cares to see if they will get involved.

Don’t know what else to do but try a different dealer, or just live with my AE box...
Does that dealer have any 2021s on their lot? If so, tell them to go look at the box that’s in those and justify why FCA decided to switch to the box in the TSB if it wasn’t needed. It’s still the JL so it’s not from a model change.

Bike_Voucher

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Does that dealer have any 2021s on their lot? If so, tell them to go look at the box that’s in those and justify why FCA decided to switch to the box in the TSB if it wasn’t needed. It’s still the JL so it’s not from a model change.
Yep, I mentioned this as well. They told me a TSB isn’t a recall...

He said they can’t order it if they can’t replicate the issue. I even verbatim quoted the “if the customer describes the symptoms, perform the repair.” Line

nashvillen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Yep, I mentioned this as well. They told me a TSB isn’t a recall...

He said they can’t order it if they can’t replicate the issue. I even verbatim quoted the “if the customer describes the symptoms, perform the repair.” Line
I just got a call, they were looking for my lug nut key for my tires. He did say his technician supervisor was looking at it. So, that is an improvement...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a call, they were looking for my lug nut key for my tires. He did say his technician supervisor was looking at it. So, that is an improvement...
Why are they taking your tires off?
Sponsored