Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Does someone have a detailed photo / video of the bolts and access to them to check the torque specs? can't seem to find it anywhere.
Here's the 4 box bolts, and they are 44 ft lbs plus 135 degrees, which is roughly 95 ft lbs give or take. My dealer only went to 44, and it seems others have had that too, so be SURE to verify that one. A loose steering box could be lethal :(
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1602247325691

And the I-shaft bolt which is 40 ft lbs, I found turning the wheel so the bolt is facing straight up then use a couple long extensions to your torque wrench made it easy to get that one measured (and for me, tightened :( )
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1602247578046
Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
There’s one more at the top of the steering shaft. Not sure if they gets messed with.

how likely is it they damaged the steering shaft during repair? I’m assuming if they unbolted the box and let it hangon the shaft that could do it

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There’s one more at the top of the steering shaft. Not sure if they gets messed with.

how likely is it they damaged the steering shaft during repair? I’m assuming if they unbolted the box and let it hangon the shaft that could do it
If they can install the oil filter upside down (which truly did happen to a guy on the site), anything's possible!

IceInfusion

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Went to a dealership today after finding out about this TSB yesterday. They basically told me it’s a “Jeep thing” and that I should get a realignment because I offroad my Jeep. My Jeep is stock. Any tips/tricks on how to get this TSB done? I’m from Canada (near Toronto), so if anyone from the GTA has gotten this TSB done let me know what dealership you went to please.

4A1E1BA0-C41C-40B8-8FF4-571539BC94AC.jpeg

Audio07

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Mojito!
I finally got my dealer to do the TSB. I've only had it for a few days but I have noticed the difference.

1. Steering is heavier, probably due to less "wiggle" within the steering box.
2. Dead zone for me is about half an inch to an inch instead of the 3"-4" of mush before I got the actual heavy articulation.
3. Driving at high speeds isn't as terrifying anymore. I can one-hand this beast. The confidence I have in being able to do evasive driving is much higher now.

So far I'm happy with the change, it feels much more consistent and gives me (An admittedly new Wrangler owner) more confidence both on and off the road.

Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I have a jk as well and it just really drives me crazy on how much better that old jk drives better than my $50,000 new Jeep. I always get used to it and then I drive my jk and realize how bad wierd it is. Even with the new box

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Went to a dealership today after finding out about this TSB yesterday. They basically told me it’s a “Jeep thing” and that I should get a realignment because I offroad my Jeep. My Jeep is stock. Any tips/tricks on how to get this TSB done? I’m from Canada (near Toronto), so if anyone from the GTA has gotten this TSB done let me know what dealership you went to please.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 4A1E1BA0-C41C-40B8-8FF4-571539BC94AC
Contact @JeepCares
There is no trick to getting the TSB done. It actually states if the customer wants it do it (paraphrasing).

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Here's the 4 box bolts, and they are 44 ft lbs plus 135 degrees, which is roughly 95 ft lbs give or take. My dealer only went to 44, and it seems others have had that too, so be SURE to verify that one. A loose steering box could be lethal :(
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 4A1E1BA0-C41C-40B8-8FF4-571539BC94AC

And the I-shaft bolt which is 40 ft lbs, I found turning the wheel so the bolt is facing straight up then use a couple long extensions to your torque wrench made it easy to get that one measured (and for me, tightened :( )
This is exactly why this community is awesome - thank you! Once mine is done I will report. To get to the 4 bolts did you have to remove the fender liner completely or was that just for the picture?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is exactly why this community is awesome - thank you! Once mine is done I will report. To get to the 4 bolts did you have to remove the fender liner completely or was that just for the picture?
The lower right one can be tough as that spring is in the way depending how much it's compressed. I was able to get a thin wall socket in there but you may have to raise the jeep off the suspension to decompress the spring.

JeepRAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Got my Rubicon fixed this week. It is much better as I had about an 1-2” dead spot. No dead spot now. Terrible service, however, from David Jeep in Glen Mills, PA. They wanted over $100 to diagnose, if they did not find a problem. They ended up saying there was no problem, thats when I got JeepCares involved. They contacted the dealer and the parts were ordered that day in late September. Once they came in, earlier this week, I got the appointment and it was fixed over 3 days. Over the 3 days, there was non existent communication. Only JeepCares had the professionalism to call and update me.

Worst things were they gave me a beatup loaner Grand Caravan with 30,000 miles and smelled like it had 130,000 miles. Also, they did not even wash my Rubicon after all was done. Really? But I guess its better to have gotten it done quickly and without mechanic ineptness. All seems ok and I have water to wash it. Please think twice with giving any business to David Jeep!

I would like to thank JeepCares as I know I would have been out a diagnostic fee and it would have never got done if it were not for their help.

Sponsored

stevenc

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara

Tell them you're recording this conversation for your lawyer that they refused to do this TSB and will use it in court when you're in an accident due to steering issue.

Try contacting FCA Jeep Canada Customer Concern. (1-800-465-2001). Someone got his issues resolved related to this TSB.

Crawl Away

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - 1998 TJ Sport
I got mine back on Thursday. It is more responsive but now I have a little bit of bump steer that was Not there before and an occasional mild vibration or shimmy in the steering wheel. I did not have these before the TSB work. Anyone else notice the same?

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
^ that is supposed to go away with some time? or with some full turning of the steering wheel from full lock out to get the bubbles out of the steering fluid? ?