Sponsored

Warrior319

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Called the dealer here in Calgary today. They were not aware of the TSB. I have him the number for it.
he claims they may no need all the parts listed and they want to book it in an assess it. I am assuming of all the parts are listed that they should be charging all the parts correct?
Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Does anyone know...and maybe I just missed a thread that has already answered this question.

Some people, like me (I have a 2019 JLUR, built 5/19) have had no steering issues whatsoever or very minimal wandering which is inherent with Wrangler's.
Were there different levels (engineering part no's) of aluminum cased boxes used from 2018 to 2020 models that can be tracked by build date???
As far as “by build date”, I can’t tell you.
However, it seems they started with 68250508AA and went to AB, AC, AD, and AE before finally switching to the new iron version.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Called the dealer here in Calgary today. They were not aware of the TSB. I have him the number for it.
he claims they may no need all the parts listed and they want to book it in an assess it. I am assuming of all the parts are listed that they should be charging all the parts correct?
Yes, that is correct. All parts must be replaced. Ask for a visual inspection of the old parts removed.

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As far as “by build date”, I can’t tell you.
However, it seems they started with 68250508AA and went to AB, AC, AD, and AE before finally switching to the new iron version.
That could possibly explain the wide discrepancy from pretty much no problems to just plain dangerous experiences from JL owners...depending what level steering box their JL was built with.
It would be really interesting to know what the engineering changes that were implemented in the part from level to level...A lot of times from my own experiences at ford service parts engineering was MCR's minor cost reductions, which upstream engineers are tasked to do...usually changes that lowered cost in the part BUT also usually lowered the life and reliability of the part. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if I can find an engineering part no. on it.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
That could possibly explain the wide discrepancy from pretty much no problems to just plain dangerous experiences from JL owners...depending what level steering box their JL was built with.
It would be really interesting to know what the engineering changes that were implemented in the part from level to level...A lot of times from my own experiences at ford service parts engineering was MCR's minor cost reductions, which upstream engineers are tasked to do...usually changes that lowered cost in the part BUT also usually lowered the life and reliability of the part. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow and see if I can find an engineering part no. on it.
In this case, the parts revisions were due to customer complaints with each revision supposed to the the “fix.” Ultimately, it was a complete retooling with different material that seems to be the real fix.

Sponsored

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
In this case, the parts revisions were due to customer complaints with each revision supposed to the the “fix.” Ultimately, it was a complete retooling with different material that seems to be the real fix.
Absolutely, I believe that FCA is trying go the cheapest route and come up with a half ass patch fix.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
My dealer tried to order parts today and they said the request shows late October availability.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The new steel box made the steering lighter, but made the dead spot bigger and now the jeep pulls left and it has a subtle catch in the steering at steering center. I confirmed part #'s, retorqued everything and drove back to the dealer for the 4th time for this box. They drove it and confirmed issues, checked the software, retorqued and checked alignment...waited 3 hours at dealer + 1 hr roundtrip drive. Toe is good...caster is at 6.3.

They opened a star case and are escalating ...said I'll likely have to drop it back off next week when they receive instruction from FCA engineering for more testing. I'm convinced it's a bad box. JeepCares has also been involved. Painful experience....but I'm hopeful it will get worked out. :flag: :jk:

Last edited:

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
The new steel box made the steering lighter, but made the dead spot bigger and now the jeep pulls left and it has a subtle catch in the steering at steering center. I confirmed part #'s, retorqued everything and drove back to the dealer for the 4th time for this box. They drove it and confirmed issues, checked the software, retorqued and checked alignment...waited 3 hours at dealer + 1 hr roundtrip drive. Toe is good...caster is at 6.3.

They opened a star case and are escalating ...said I'll likely have to drop it back off next week when they receive instruction from FCA engineering for more testing. I'm convinced it's a bad box. JeepCares has also been involved. Painful experience. :facepalm:
Sorry for your pain ChattVol, as well as the others that have had a poor experience. My service guy called yesterday and said the parts are in so I'm taking mine in Monday morning. He said it might take a day or so.. ??? I'm hoping that means they will do it right (but I know better). :LOL:
Wish me luck.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I got mine done today. Stock Sport model. It steers like a different vehicle, in a good way! The dead spot is gone and the steering is heavier. It's so much better. In the old setup the dead spot was about 2 inches. Now it's gone, or as small as any other vehicle.

Anybody on the fence should make the call to start the process.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Absolutely, I believe that FCA is trying go the cheapest route and come up with a half ass patch fix.
The aluminum box is more expensive to manufacture versus the new steel box.

The cheap part is not making this a mandatory recall....

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sorry for your pain ChattVol, as well as the others that have had a poor experience. My service guy called yesterday and said the parts are in so I'm taking mine in Monday morning. He said it might take a day or so.. ??? I'm hoping that means they will do it right (but I know better). :LOL:
Wish me luck.
Seems to be more to the story than poor service tech's. or dealer service departments.
Why else the extremely different outcomes with TSB replacement outcomes??? Sounds like a Big problem with the steering box supplier...Does anyone know the name of the supplier. Other then just MADE IN CHINA...

Bike_Voucher

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

They opened a star case and are escalating ...said I'll likely have to drop it back off next week when they receive instruction from FCA engineering for more testing. I'm convinced it's a bad box. JeepCares has also been involved. Painful experience....but I'm hopeful it will get worked out. :flag: :jk:
yikes which dealer ChattVol? I’ve got my diagnostic at mtn view in Ringgold but I’d hate to run into a mess, especially since my problems isn’t TOO bad unless it’s a long hot drive.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Try #2

Can anyone who has had the steering TSB done confirm that the steering pump makes a noise (thus is active) 10 seconds or so after there is no longer steering wheel movements while in park with the engine is on? Or does the steering pump noise stop after 1 - 3 seconds? Someone reported that it should be 10 seconds if the software was updated correctly.

TGjlu20

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I just wanted to update that I had the TSB done yesterday and very happy with results. The Jeep steering is much better at speeds above 30 and especially on the interstate. Very easy one handed driving on the interstate. No more back and forth steering inputs while driving on highway. I want to thank @JeepCares for helping me get this taken care of. The dealership was giving me the can't order parts story until @JeepCares got involved.
Sponsored