Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think I'll take it to the dealer we bought in from in Las Vegas to make sure the software update has been performed, I'm now not sure if that happened :(
I have been trying to find out how to verify the software has been updated, perhaps through a 3rd party tool that connects to the ODB2 port, but no luck. I read on this thread that it should be sales code 70f and another software update for the EPS (2 software updates, not just one). And supposedly before the software update, the power steering pump is only on when the steering wheel is turned, and after the correct software update, the steering pump stays on until there is about 10 seconds of steering wheel activity. I tried to listen for the steering pump, but I can't hear a difference due to other engine noise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
TEST DROVE A 2020 JEEP SAHARA ON 8/6/2020 AND DROVE GOOD. BOUGHT A WHITE ONE BUT WAS NOT READY SO IT WAS GOING TO GET DELIVERED THE NEXT DAY AT MY HOUSE. WHITE 2020 JEEP SAHARA WAS DELIVERED ON 8/7/2020 AT AROUND 12:00 PM. SALESMAN SHOWED ALL FEATURES AND LEFT. I DID A TEST DRIVE AROUND 5:00PM, WEN ON THE HIGHWAY AND STEERING WAS REALLY OFF, DID A TURN AROUND TO COME BACK HOME. AT 55 PMH I TRIED TO CHANGE LANES AND I I LOST CONTROL AND ENDED UP IN A DITCH. STEETING WAS VERY LOOSE GOING LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT. FELT I WAS SWERVING SO MUCH AND DID NOT FEEL THE SAME AS THE ONE WE TEST DROVE AT THE DEALERSHIP. CALLED DEALERSHIP TOLD ME THAT SINCE THE VEHICLE IS STILL BRAND NEW THAT THE ROADSIDE ASSITANCE WAS NOT AVAIBLE, LEFT ME THERE IN THE DITCH AND I HAD TO CALL MY INSURANCE. THIS HAPPENED IN SAN ANTONIO, TX. The JEEP IS STILL IN THE SHOP GETTING THE BODY DAMAGES FIXED AND FCA JUST SAID TO TAKE THE JEEP BACK TO THE DEALERHIP TO GET IT CHECKED. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO START THE BUY BACK PROGRAM
Danny - Which dealership? I'm in SAT too. Bought one 2018 Jeep JL from Ancira and one 2020 JL from Bluebonnet. My 2018's steering is for sh!t - about an inch and a half of play at highway speed - and the 2020 is a lot better. Anyway, just trying to get a data point on who left you in the ditch, literally. Are you a member of teh SAJC Facebook group? You should join if not. Great informal way to stay on top of which vendors are great or suck. Which mechanics to specially request for things, etc.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have been trying to find out how to verify the software has been updated, perhaps through a 3rd party tool that connects to the ODB2 port, but no luck. I read on this thread that it should be sales code 70f and another software update for the EPS (2 software updates, not just one). And supposedly before the software update, the power steering pump is only on when the steering wheel is turned, and after the correct software update, the steering pump stays on until there is about 10 seconds of steering wheel activity. I tried to listen for the steering pump, but I can't hear a difference due to other engine noise.
Update: I had 2 other people listen. There isn't a noise difference from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turning vs not turning (listened for 10 to 20 seconds later vs instantly, nothing) except for the tire noise. So I can't tell when the steering pump is active vs inactive. Is there any other way to tell? I want to see if they installed the steering TSB software updates as they claimed. I had another dealer last year claim a software update on a different issue, then another dealer said the software hadn't been updated, so can't trust their word that they made the software change in this case either. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Today I picked up MY*JLUR from the dealer after getting the TSB done. The drive was the scariest 1/4mile I ever had. The steering was noticeably delayed, and almost 1/8th play in wheel before it responded. Going in a straight line the wheels felt like they where going in opposite directions. Right to left turns from stop where very poor response. I have no idea what the problem is, but I took it right back to dealer.

I verified the work order and all parts are listed. This is the 2nd one I have had the dealer do, the first was a JLU sport...which was perfect the first time and much improved. I should know more tomorrow.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Today I picked up MY*JLUR from the dealer after getting the TSB done. The drive was the scariest 1/4mile I ever had. The steering was noticeably delayed, and almost 1/8th play in wheel before it responded. Going in a straight line the wheels felt like they where going in opposite directions. Right to left turns from stop where very poor response. I have no idea what the problem is, but I took it right back to dealer.

I verified the work order and all parts are listed. This is the 2nd one I have had the dealer do, the first was a JLU sport...which was perfect the first time and much improved. I should know more tomorrow.
Sounds like tech didn't even bother to test drive it after putting in the new box. Maybe they forgot to update the software?

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Sounds like tech didn't even bother to test drive it after putting in the new box. Maybe they forgot to update the software?
The worksheet says they drove it, as does the 11 miles added to it. The same worksheet claims software update.

I do know 2 different techs worked on it. Whoever the lacky is that test drove it and called it fine is a moron...if they really did the test drive vs just claim they did and leave. 11 miles -- maybe before the fix to get lunch?

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
TSB completed today. No issues at the dealer and they did the work without any pushback. Right away can notice the steering is much "stiffer" in a good way and it takes a little longer for the steering wheel to return to center after making a left or right turn. No issue just a little different experience. In town driving the steering does feel more responsive compared to my AE box...need to properly test on highway as drive home "seemed" better but also driving West into a 26mph NW crosswind so not real ideal conditions to see how much less wander is happening.

Had to laugh as we all start to assume the worst of the dealerships so I went out and marked up my 2 black frame bolts and the I-shaft bolt with markings to allow me to see if they did replace them. After work was done but before going inside to the dealer to pick up I visually inspected and saw all 4 bolts were replaced, i-shaft bolt replaced and most importantly the black AA box was installed. Reviewing the work order that I had to sign the advisor had made a note to "replace all the bolts as he will inspect"...funny I never said one word other than had them verify they had the new bolts in inventory. Maybe that was the advisor's way to ensure it happened? Glad he did and glad this new box is installed..next is to install the Mopar Lift LCA's to get the caster closer to 6-6.5 per the recommendations of many others to help with any excess wandering (even if the new steering box corrects most of it, for $60 getting the caster back in the 6 range will also improve and give me peace to ensure my kids and wife have a much better driving experience in the Wrangler).

Thanks to all the forum members sharing their experiences as it truly helps ensure we are all taken care of and know of these TSBs that most non-members unfortunately will never know about until it is a recall or just plain word of mouth.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
TSB completed today. No issues at the dealer and they did the work without any pushback. Right away can notice the steering is much "stiffer" in a good way and it takes a little longer for the steering wheel to return to center after making a left or right turn. No issue just a little different experience. In town driving the steering does feel more responsive compared to my AE box...need to properly test on highway as drive home "seemed" better but also driving West into a 26mph NW crosswind so not real ideal conditions to see how much less wander is happening.

Had to laugh as we all start to assume the worst of the dealerships so I went out and marked up my 2 black frame bolts and the I-shaft bolt with markings to allow me to see if they did replace them. After work was done but before going inside to the dealer to pick up I visually inspected and saw all 4 bolts were replaced, i-shaft bolt replaced and most importantly the black AA box was installed. Reviewing the work order that I had to sign the advisor had made a note to "replace all the bolts as he will inspect"...funny I never said one word other than had them verify they had the new bolts in inventory. Maybe that was the advisor's way to ensure it happened? Glad he did and glad this new box is installed..next is to install the Mopar Lift LCA's to get the caster closer to 6-6.5 per the recommendations of many others to help with any excess wandering (even if the new steering box corrects most of it, for $60 getting the caster back in the 6 range will also improve and give me peace to ensure my kids and wife have a much better driving experience in the Wrangler).

Thanks to all the forum members sharing their experiences as it truly helps ensure we are all taken care of and know of these TSBs that most non-members unfortunately will never know about until it is a recall or just plain word of mouth.
Did they do the software update? Does the steering pump noise stop immediately after you stop moving the steering wheel or does the steering pump noise stop after approximately 10 seconds?

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Did they do the software update? Does the steering pump noise stop immediately after you stop moving the steering wheel or does the steering pump noise stop after approximately 10 seconds?
What's the difference?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
One question for those who had this completed. Was this fully covered under the warranty for you all? My dealer is refusing to order the parts before performing a diagnostic, which apparently comes along with a $130 service fee. Have others experienced this as well?
1) your dealer is an ass
2) you should not give ANY more business to that dealer.
3) tell them to read the TSB, highlight the part that says that they must do a ‘diagnotic” and show it to you (hint. it doesn’t, they can’t, and won’t)
4) call JeepCares .....

I am disgusted that a dealer wants to “extract“ money to diagnose a problem that does not require diagnosis. Seriously, find another dealer.

this is yet one more case where FCA just needs to fire dealerships from selling the brand.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
One question for those who had this completed. Was this fully covered under the warranty for you all? My dealer is refusing to order the parts before performing a diagnostic, which apparently comes along with a $130 service fee. Have others experienced this as well?
they can’t charge you for a warranty service repair.

If you want to play this game with them. Wait a day, then call and say your jeep is pulling all over the road. Don’t mention the TSB . They will certainly want to schedule schedule a service appt. .....that’s warranty work.
There’s your inspection, when they tell you nothings wrong now you have theninspection and they have to do the TSB .

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can anyone who has had the steering TSB done confirm that the steering pump makes a noise (thus is active) 10 seconds or so after there is no longer steering wheel movements while in park with the engine is on? Or does the steering pump noise stop after 1 - 3 seconds? I’m thinking maybe the 10 second buffer might only be at highway speeds.

Last edited:

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude

I noticed my return to center was horrible after the TSB was done. Maybe that’s why I don’t think it’s much improved over the AE Aluminum box. I’m at the dealer now for an alignment hoping it will fix the return to center, as well as making the steering wheel straight while going straight. It’s a little off center.
Sponsored