Sponsored

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
I had to let them diagnose it, parts in in about a week. Swap done in a day, pretty good job, I had to tighten some bolts and straighten the wheel no big deal.

It no longer seems to have a mind of it's own. Lets go left, now right, now left. It is predictable now as it should be. The steering and handling is otherwise unchanged. What a strange, strange, issue!
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
my steering box has been in for 2 weeks ... looks like the bolts to install are going to be another week still.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
my steering box has been in for 2 weeks ... looks like the bolts to install are going to be another week still.
In addition to the four steering box bolts, make sure they order a new bolt and don’t reuse the one time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 1967 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Silverado, 2014 Ram 2500
Another update. @JeepCares contacted me and told me to take back to dealership and they would tell them to perform the TSB. I told them if the shop foreman and service advisor weren't smart enough to know or at least google what size tires come on a Rubicon then I didn't want to take it back. They had me take to a different local shop which had the Tech test drive and promptly ordered parts. In and out in 30 minutes. Hopefully the install goes as well. Thanks @JeepCares

Sponsored

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
In addition to the four steering box bolts, make sure they order a new bolt and don’t reuse the one time use bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box.
I'm curious about this one time use bolt. How can I verify they don't reuse the old one. Is it visible after the install?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm curious about this one time use bolt. How can I verify they don't reuse the old one. Is it visible after the install?
If your service invoice doesn’t show the part on it, then they definitely reused the old one. If your service invoice does have the part on it, then they may or may not have. You would of needed to mark the old bolt first.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
If your service invoice doesn’t show the part on it, then they definitely reused the old one. If your service invoice does have the part on it, then they may or may not have. You would of needed to mark the old bolt first.
Any idea where that specific bolt is located? I hate to be a pain in a$$ but anyway someone can put up a picture of this bolt?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If your service invoice does have the part on it, then they may or may not have. You would of needed to mark the old bolt first.
I'm leaning towards "may not have", my bolt had plenty of aged dust on the head and marks on both sides of the hex edges telling me it was removed then reinstalled. I'll get out the sharpie next time :(

I think I'll take it to the dealer we bought in from in Las Vegas to make sure the software update has been performed, I'm now not sure if that happened :(

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any idea where that specific bolt is located? I hate to be a pain in a$$ but anyway someone can put up a picture of this bolt?
It is the bolt that connects the steering column to the steering box. You can find it by looking at the connection and rotating the steering wheel until it rotates the bolt into your view. Someone posted a picture of it in either this thread or one of the other steering threads. I think it is referred to as the pinch bolt. Does your service invoice have it listed as a part?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Started off easy enough. The gear box showed up the day after ordering but the bolts... 2 weeks of should be in... might be in.. no ETA... looks like tomorrow and so on...

Anyhow ... 2.5 weeks later and work complete... sorta drives like a totally different Jeep, and how it’s supposed to feel.

the process was a mess but definitely happy to put this issue to rest.

... for now...
Spoken like a well informed FCA customer -- ".....for now....."
Sponsored