First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Just got mine back from being in for the update and it's FANTASTIC! I love it! With the full Synergy steering linkage and Fox 2.0 ATS stabilizer it is rock solid. Just need to put my Rusty's trackbar brace back on as they wanted it off for the install.

Really happy, FCA did good on this one. If you are on the fence over getting it done or not definitely do so - well worth it.
Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
Been following this thread trying to decide if this new box will help me. Hearing people ecstatic after the new part.

I have a 2020 JLUR with the AE box with 2,000 miles all stock. I was concerned with all the horror stories before I ordered my Jeep but was pleased with how it handled when it arrived as I was afraid of getting one of the random "bad" steering/handling ones. Driving in town no concerns, driving on highway or interstate not fun.

Curious if others have experienced this and if the new AA box rectified the problem. Realize the Jeep is like a box driving down the road and the rake of the windshield doesn't make this vehicle aerodynamic but as much as I love this vehicle I am really not enjoying any highway driving and finding my self white knuckling and holding on with 2 hands all the time. Took another 100 mile trip today with a light crosswind and the entire drive at speeds of ~70mph I am gripping the steering wheel and making constant steering corrections to stay straight and especially when trying to pass another vehicle. People behind me probably think I just left a happy hour and am under the influence as it is difficult to stay in a straight line.

Anyways, anyone have that same driving experience on the highway and did this new AA box correct any of this?

Realize it is a Wrangler and don't expect it to drive or handle like a performance car or normal SUV but at the same time find my family doesn't even want to get behind the wheel to drive it on the highway.
I had the highway issues that you are talking about. I have it done and on a JLUR with 3" Teraflex lift and 37" Nittos at 30 psi, I get moved around by wind but the steering is rock solid. I am just under 36K on the 14 month old Jeep so you know I do some highway miles. Believe it or not the lift and the 37's helped with the steering issues before the TSB came out. I consider myself lucky the TSB came out when the Jeep was at 35300 miles.

Andy

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicons have the lowest caster of all the JL models. Whatever you decide regarding your steering box I would strongly recommend the longer Mopar lift LCAs to get your caster around 6 degrees. The high speed driving is where low caster really shows up. I have the new box, Rubicon lift, and the longer LCAs and it's now a joy to drive (and my steering w/ the old box wasn't bad except on long hot drives).
True words. The Teraflex arms that came with the lift put me at 7.5 and it helped a lot before the TSB came out

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took mine on Friday last week. The took the whole day to just pull it in the bay, then Saturday they couldnt get the old part off, and today they have the new part installed but its throwing allignement errors, cant get it aligned, and the computer wont even let them drive it. Aint no telling what shape my Jeep will be in when I get it back. Pray for me.
Holy Crap what dealership. Ginn in Conyers took very good care of me. You might want to consider them although its a drive for you.
Andy

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Alright I scheduled my appointment for Wednesday morning. What is the consensus on tips on getting this approved by the dealer?

Last edited:

Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright I scheduled my appointment for Wednesday morning. What is the consensus on tips on getting this approved by the dealer?
I was able to politely go into dealer, show them the TSB, explain that I had always had issues and that it was getting worse as the Jeep aged

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
"It wanders on the highway and gets worse when it's hot out or the longer I drive." and hand them a copy of the TSB.

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Took mine to my dealer a week and a half ago for evaluation and gave the service writer the TSB. They did the recalls ( trackbar bracket weld inspection and steering stabilizer ) and ordered the steering box. Dropped it off today to get the box replaced. They gave me a courtesy car ( minivan )and said they would call in a few hours. I got the call and they broke the steering wheel clocking spring while putting in the new box:headbang: and will have the parts tomorrow to finish the repair. At least they admitted they messed up...if that is actually what happened. I guess tomorrow will bring the answers...or at least more questions. I cant wait to get it back because I have Metalcloak 2.5" game changer lift sitting still boxed up on my garage floor. Its been there a couple of weeks and I have been waiting to get this done before it goes on.

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Crap what dealership. Ginn in Conyers took very good care of me. You might want to consider them although its a drive for you.
Andy
mall of Ga

well I guess I had the “Saturday” tech and the “Monday” guy gave it to the master tech and it’s perfect now. Nice clean install and everything looks good underneath. The tires were at 38 PSI as every time I do anything they love to inflate my tires but small price to pay for the fantastic steering, lowered them back to 28 and it drives like It should. Thank you Jeep for the fix.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I haven't seen anything official. I took mine to the JK value of 87 since it looks to be a similar setup.

Edit....looks like my origianl google search returned 87....but looking deeper it is 70..
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-torque-settings#steergear

This is where my original 87 came from...
https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jk-suspension-torque-specs.html

Hmmm...not sure which is correct.
Torqued mine to 90, won't do any further adjustments until someone can verify what it truly is. If 99 was spec w/ the aluminum box I assume 90 should be fine for cast iron (if not higher).

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Got my assessment done today.

I'll be getting it replaced as soon as the one time use bolt comes in.

I didn't really feel a problem, but figured if i could get it done all the better.

It'll be under warranty.

On the post-service sheet, it says, roughly, "customer says vehicle wanders. Test drive and felt nothing. Inspected components, no issue found. Checked TSB, ordered parts."

Peterson's in Nampa coming through again!

20200920_124435.jpg

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Out of curiosity I checked my dashcam footage from my repair since it was done in a day.

They interestingly did not test drive it before the fix just pulling directly into the bay, and took it around the block about a mile after the fix to test despite me stating it was only really noticeable on the highway.

I am thankful it is fixed, and I got it back in a day, and that they didn’t beat on it, but still an interesting observation.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Out of curiosity I checked my dashcam footage from my repair since it was done in a day.

They interestingly did not test drive it before the fix just pulling directly into the bay, and took it around the block about a mile after the fix to test despite me stating it was only really noticeable on the highway.

I am thankful it is fixed, and I got it back in a day, and that they didn’t beat on it, but still an interesting observation.
Test drive after to make sure no leaks, no squeaks, nothing falls off is all pretty standard. I'd be more concerned if no test drive ;)

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 1967 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Silverado, 2014 Ram 2500
Picked up jeep today after they replaced damper and drag link and steering feels the same. Slight wandering at highway speeds. Will take it back tomorrow.
Sponsored