Sponsored

Kez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Tide (Punk’n)
Called my dealer yesterday and they were immediately helpful, and said they wanted to get me in quickly especially since I had very recently purchased the Jeep. Told me to bring it in first thing this morning, 8:00am.

Pulled up and told the service advisor of my issue - Jeep wanders, especially at interstate speeds, and I have about a 1.5” dead spot in the center. Have to saw back and forth to stay tracking straight. I mentioned this new TSB, and he said “it sounds exactly like what you’re describing. We had a Wrangler in last week where we were trying everything to figure out the dead spot, and the engineers called us and gave us a heads up on the new box. - I bet yours is the exact same problem, but we’ll let the techs figure it out for sure.”

Waited there, and in 1hr 45min they came back to me and said “techs agree with you. We will place the order for you first thing Tuesday and it should hopefully take about two weeks to come in.”

They ordered the 68507569-AA steering box and related bolts.

I’m thankful it was a short path to getting the new box ordered, and that the dealer took me seriously and was helpful.

Now here’s to hoping it fixes the dead spot. Will update after the part comes and it’s installed. :)
Following up.

It took the dealer about a month to get the parts in for me instead of the hoped for two weeks. They told me it was the bolts they were having a hard time getting in - I figure at least they were aware of and wanted to use the right bolts! I dropped it off Wednesday morning and picked it up Friday morning. Check it over right away, and it had the black box with the right part number on it (68507569AA). Correct bolts were used. Minimal spilled power steering fluid visible, which I appreciated.

Immediate first impression upon startup was that turning the wheel had a bit more "weight" to it, as reported by some others. It felt solid and purposeful. I hopped on the interstate immediately and am pleased to say that there was no detectable dead spot in the steering! Previously had about a 2" dead zone. I'm overjoyed.

I found the best way for me to visualize and confirm the change before and after was sitting in my garage, Jeep running, and turning the steering wheel far enough left until I could see a decent portion of the tire while hanging my head out the driver's window. From there, moved the steering wheel. With the old aluminum box, the tire moved none while the steering wheel moved about 2". Now, same scenario with new box, I turn the steering wheel just a hair's amount and the tire moves immediately too. ZERO dead spot.

I sort of had to re-learn how to drive the Jeep on the way home. There are a lot of curvy back roads to and from the dealer. I was so used to overcompensating that it took me a good 5 minutes to feel comfortable with a Jeep that responds as it should.

Especially if you have similar symptoms, I highly recommend doing whatever you can to get this TSB performed.
Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Following up.

It took the dealer about a month to get the parts in for me instead of the hoped for two weeks. They told me it was the bolts they were having a hard time getting in - I figure at least they were aware of and wanted to use the right bolts! I dropped it off Wednesday morning and picked it up Friday morning. Check it over right away, and it had the black box with the right part number on it (68507569AA). Correct bolts were used. Minimal spilled power steering fluid visible, which I appreciated.

Immediate first impression upon startup was that turning the wheel had a bit more "weight" to it, as reported by some others. It felt solid and purposeful. I hopped on the interstate immediately and am pleased to say that there was no detectable dead spot in the steering! Previously had about a 2" dead zone. I'm overjoyed.

I found the best way for me to visualize and confirm the change before and after was sitting in my garage, Jeep running, and turning the steering wheel far enough left until I could see a decent portion of the tire while hanging my head out the driver's window. From there, moved the steering wheel. With the old aluminum box, the tire moved none while the steering wheel moved about 2". Now, same scenario with new box, I turn the steering wheel just a hair's amount and the tire moves immediately too. ZERO dead spot.

I sort of had to re-learn how to drive the Jeep on the way home. There are a lot of curvy back roads to and from the dealer. I was so used to overcompensating that it took me a good 5 minutes to feel comfortable with a Jeep that responds as it should.

Especially if you have similar symptoms, I highly recommend doing whatever you can to get this TSB performed.
I agree on having to relearn how to drive the jeep. It’s so much nicer now, and drives more like a jk in terms of steering.

I will say though, that my dead spot is around an inch to inch and a half if i’m looking for it at slower speeds. Above 50 it seems to tighten up.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I agree on having to relearn how to drive the jeep. It’s so much nicer now, and drives more like a jk in terms of steering.

I will say though, that my dead spot is around an inch to inch and a half if i’m looking for it at slower speeds. Above 50 it seems to tighten up.
Me too on the dead spot with the new box.. What can be done to get it tighter at slower speeds?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
My steering is a bit off now after the TSB, not much but enough to be a little annoying. Going to have to bring it back in for an alignment. IMO they should be checking that before delivery.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
My steering is a bit off now after the TSB, not much but enough to be a little annoying. Going to have to bring it back in for an alignment. IMO they should be checking that before delivery.
They absolutely should have.. It’s called quality control! It seems a lot of these dealers don’t have any.

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Been following this thread trying to decide if this new box will help me. Hearing people ecstatic after the new part.

I have a 2020 JLUR with the AE box with 2,000 miles all stock. I was concerned with all the horror stories before I ordered my Jeep but was pleased with how it handled when it arrived as I was afraid of getting one of the random "bad" steering/handling ones. Driving in town no concerns, driving on highway or interstate not fun.

Curious if others have experienced this and if the new AA box rectified the problem. Realize the Jeep is like a box driving down the road and the rake of the windshield doesn't make this vehicle aerodynamic but as much as I love this vehicle I am really not enjoying any highway driving and finding my self white knuckling and holding on with 2 hands all the time. Took another 100 mile trip today with a light crosswind and the entire drive at speeds of ~70mph I am gripping the steering wheel and making constant steering corrections to stay straight and especially when trying to pass another vehicle. People behind me probably think I just left a happy hour and am under the influence as it is difficult to stay in a straight line.

Anyways, anyone have that same driving experience on the highway and did this new AA box correct any of this?

Realize it is a Wrangler and don't expect it to drive or handle like a performance car or normal SUV but at the same time find my family doesn't even want to get behind the wheel to drive it on the highway.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Been following this thread trying to decide if this new box will help me. Hearing people ecstatic after the new part.

I have a 2020 JLUR with the AE box with 2,000 miles all stock. I was concerned with all the horror stories before I ordered my Jeep but was pleased with how it handled when it arrived as I was afraid of getting one of the random "bad" steering/handling ones. Driving in town no concerns, driving on highway or interstate not fun.

Curious if others have experienced this and if the new AA box rectified the problem. Realize the Jeep is like a box driving down the road and the rake of the windshield doesn't make this vehicle aerodynamic but as much as I love this vehicle I am really not enjoying any highway driving and finding my self white knuckling and holding on with 2 hands all the time. Took another 100 mile trip today with a light crosswind and the entire drive at speeds of ~70mph I am gripping the steering wheel and making constant steering corrections to stay straight and especially when trying to pass another vehicle. People behind me probably think I just left a happy hour and am under the influence as it is difficult to stay in a straight line.

Anyways, anyone have that same driving experience on the highway and did this new AA box correct any of this?

Realize it is a Wrangler and don't expect it to drive or handle like a performance car or normal SUV but at the same time find my family doesn't even want to get behind the wheel to drive it on the highway.
Since we drive boxes, it’s gonna get pushed around in crosswinds. But for me, highway driving is a much better experience. It’s tighter and doesn’t require as much correction to keep it going straight.
It also helps that i have mopar LCAs but the steering stiffens up pretty dramatically at 70 and is easy to drive leaning my arm on the door and using my index finger and thumb to hold the steering wheel straight. I’m only correcting road crown when driving now.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Another way to think of this..... they would not have come out with a new steel cased box if nothing wrong with the prior aluminum cased box which went through several versions.

Why would you not get it done?

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW

I had to drive 2.5 hours to a dealership to get the 2020 JLU my wife wanted. Had some wander in our test drive, which was 35 mph or less since I was unfamiliar with the area, but I chalked it up to the overinflated tires. Signed the paperwork and started heading home. The next 2.5 hours on the highway was a pure struggle. Got home and immediately got on google to see if it was a common issue with the JL. This was Jeep 7 in my stable, so I knew how jeeps drove, and this wasn’t the same thing.
Did the “pull fuse” thing and it helped but still wasn’t right. Ordered the Mopar LCA’s and was about to install them when I learned of the TSB.
Her Jeep had 25 miles and the AE box when we got it. It was terrible.
TSB was done earlier this week and it now drives as it should. First thing I did was get it out on some 55+ mph roads. Definitely did the trick.
So short answer.......yes, you NEED to have this done.

Sponsored

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS

On my 4th wrangler. Had the jl since February of 2019. Been struggling since day 1 as I knew what driving a wrangler was all about, but this is NOT what it's supposed to be like. Same issues as everyone else...wandering, excessive play etc.

So I'm on my 4th wrangler. Still own my 93 yj. That's right, square headlights! Had my jl since Feb 2019. Struggled with it since day one. All I can say is that this is NOT what it should drive like! My family has always loved to go on trips in our wranglers, however the jl is exhausting to drive, white knuckling down the road to keep it straight. I have been approved for the tsb and have been put in line for mid December. While this is a long wait, I am happy to finally get the fix we've been waiting for! So yes, absolutely do yourself a favor and get the tsb work done. The way the jl handles is NOT "a jeep thing".

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Rubicons have the lowest caster of all the JL models. Whatever you decide regarding your steering box I would strongly recommend the longer Mopar lift LCAs to get your caster around 6 degrees. The high speed driving is where low caster really shows up. I have the new box, Rubicon lift, and the longer LCAs and it's now a joy to drive (and my steering w/ the old box wasn't bad except on long hot drives).

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Rubicons have the lowest caster of all the JL models. Whatever you decide regarding your steering box I would strongly recommend the longer Mopar lift LCAs to get your caster around 6 degrees. The high speed driving is where low caster really shows up. I have the new box, Rubicon lift, and the longer LCAs and it's now a joy to drive (and my steering w/ the old box wasn't bad except on long hot drives).
Yeah. The original box would start to slop out on long hot trips - the same sort of trips you don't want to be pissing around with a Wrangler wandering as it leads to fatigue.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
What does it cost?
I have read through most of this thread, can anyone tell the price of the steering gear box. My 2020 is so much better than my 2018 and don't need the fix yet. But after modifying it and wheeling it, it may me easier to change it out myself than trying to get it covered under warranty. It would be nice if Jeep could offer us the parts at cost.
Sponsored