Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Got mine back today after about a 2 week wait for parts. I'm glad I waited this out and did not throw aftermarket parts at it. Still 100% stock. My steering went from about 1-1.5" of slop (cold-hot) to nothing. This thing is really tight now....like rack & pinion tight.

Dealer did a really good job with most of the job, good alignment, no wander, straight wheel, tight bolts, fluid level, etc. Only issue is that they did damage my tie-rod boot at the pitman arm. It's ripped now. I really don't want to nit-pick since they did not give me any grief along the way and seems like they put more time into the Jeep than FCA pays them for.

I can't seem to find just the boot to replace anywhere. Anyone out there know it these can be bought separately?

Kudos to Jeep for actually taking action, now I just hope everyone out there with bad steering to begin with gets taken care of.
no, it will need a new drag link. That’s not the tie rod.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
When I had originally went to the dealership and spoke about death wobble, they played dumb and were pretending like I was over exaggerating. Their response was “oh must be tin he steering stabilizer, we’ll order a new one and change it for it for you.”

About a week went by and on my usual way to work, I managed to find a spot on the highway that triggers the wobble. So I recorded it.

When I went back to the dealership to install the new steering stabilizer (which there was nothing wrong with the original one to begin with), I showed the service representative the video and my mechanic happened to be there. Both shocked at what they saw the service representative said “Let me check something, I remember there being a service bulletin about a steering box.”

Long story short, the new, steel steering box is coming in next week and they are installing it and fully inspecting the suspension.

I pushed quite hard for this because I have about $3000 dollars in aftermarket parts waiting to be installed and i wanted to make sure everything gets fixed under the warranty so they can’t turn around and blame me for the wobble.
The TSB literally says on it that the gearbox WILL NOT fix the problem you are describing.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Looks like they didn't do the TSB. Looking at that says they replaced your rack and pinion. That would definitely require an alignment. Just an observation.

Andy
I get that this comment was several pages ago, but do you think a rack and pinion and steering gear are different things?

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
FINALLY found a dealership willing to do the TSB here in AZ, part is on order but they weren't able to give me an ETA, he said probably about a month. Tech confirmed the wandering, said it wasn't as bad as the others but mine is also only at 1k miles, anyway got the green light for the TSB :)
Mine isn't too bad on the streets but once I hit the freeway it likes to do it's own thing lol.

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
My dealer got the new Box in, but when performing the update.
It somehow triggered a airbag light, that will not clear.
So they are replacing the clockspring tomorrow...

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
After putting a few miles on the jeep. IT F**KING STEERS NOW. It's about 95% what I'd consider perfect for a jeep. It obviously loves to follow road crown still

Initially, I was experiencing notchy steering, I figured the gears needed breaking in, or for the fluid to kinda go through the box if the dealer didn't bleed it properly. I ran it back and forth as I did as a kid helping my dad at his shop. After reading the thread again, I'm gonna check the drag link to see if the boot around the ball joint is intact or if it's a new drag link.

After about 60 or so miles it's smoothened out and the things I notice it stays straight and feels much tighter and quicker to react. It's a little stiffer than before but zero complaints. This box paired with the Mopar LCAs, I can feel the jeep wanting to center the wheel now much more resistance mid turn like a long sweeping highway turn for example. Overall, it requires fewer corrections to maintain heading and it seems to follow the road crown a little better(read easier to keep straight) due to the fact that it's tighter and not slopping around.

For y'all in south Florida. My experience with Aventura cdjr, they took care of me exceptionally well(not used to it being a 22 year old and used to being treated like shit from my other dealer). I went in when it was busy, so I wasn't expecting to get it in a day. They called a lyft for me and called me in to get the jeep the next day. ZERO questions asked for approving the TSB. The work order does say that they test drove it to confirm though. After my dad drives my jeep i’m gonna bring his JT to them to have them swap the box.

Last edited:

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Dropped my 2018 off at a new dealership for the repair and an oil change. I got the impression they were just going to diagnose it today. I left a copy of the TSB on the seat.

The advisor opened with, "well you have a lift, so that effects the steering."

I brushed it off with "It's been off since I got the Jeep a year before the lift, so that's not the problem."

It's also the mopar lift installed at another dealership.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was given the "operates as designed" bit in my paperwork when describing the lose steering. Then was told they can't order parts anyways, no reason to even start the process. I finally was told "a notice" will be coming in the mail for the steering boxes once they have manufacturing scaled up?

Has anyone else heard about a notice similar to the steering dampener being mentioned regarding the revised steering box?

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Just took mine in to be assessed for the steering box replacement. Was called late and told based on my VIN that I am not eligible for the fix? But that I am going to get new Lower control arms? Does this make sense? For me I have not play or dead spots, I just have to really work at hwy speeds to keep it tracking straight. Regardless I have not read anywhere this is based on VIN? Has anyone lse heard this?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Just took mine in to be assessed for the steering box replacement. Was called late and told based on my VIN that I am not eligible for the fix? But that I am going to get new Lower control arms? Does this make sense? For me I have not play or dead spots, I just have to really work at hwy speeds to keep it tracking straight. Regardless I have not read anywhere this is based on VIN? Has anyone lse heard this?
This TSB isn’t VIN specific, it’s 2018-2020 model year specific.

Sponsored

BigDipJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sport S
The TSB literally says on it that the gearbox WILL NOT fix the problem you are describing.
Alone no, but with everything else they’re changing, hopefully lol

maybe I didn’t express myself clearly. I was just happy this problem arose while everything was still stock and I hadn’t added my lift and tires yet. So everything is still technically under warranty until it’s fixed

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I was at dealership today getting radio fixed (AGAIN) and showed this TSB to them.

They told me "we can't proceed with full-filling this TSB unless the steering and suspension systems are stock, as well as wheels and tires"

I told them the TSB did not say this anywhere.

They showed me a memo from FCA stating that any modifications to the steering or suspension that were not FCA authorized is grounds for denying all warranty work related to those systems. They would not let me take a picture of the memo.....

I then asked about Mopar lifts they install and he told me they were exempt as long as no other modifications.

I then asked what about that Jeep in the showroom with a Mopar lift and 315 tires on factory rims. He said if I bought it and had problems the dealership would cover the costs.

Nice to see that FCA it acting like the Italian mafia in it's shake down and extortion tactics....

Good luck with this one if aftermarket. I will try another dealer in September once I see parts have come in.
Change dealers, Mine all I did was walk in and asked if they had seen the TSB, A few taps on the keyboard later and parts were ordered without question. The following week it was done Actually yesterday 9-16-2020. I wouldn't so much blame FCA as I would the Jerks at the dealer. Mine is now PERFECT!

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Update. I spoke with my service advisor who has been actually very helpful throughout my entire process. I notified to him that the TSB was just released. After giving him the TSB number, he looked it up and laughed that it was just released yesterday. He knows there have been numerous complaints on steering so he was glad I gave him a heads up about the TSB.

He then proceeded to open a ticket and ordered the parts for my JLU and said they will notify me when they are in stock (likely September), and that they will definitely perform the services no questions (since I have constantly stated wandering and excess play in my steering).

Hopefully this is the final fix to remove that excess dead play in my steering, and I hope everyone else has as much luck with their local dealer.
Mine is now perfect after the TSB was performed. Good Luck!

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Does anyone know if FCA technically allows for adjusting the new steering box? I'd imagine that since it's like the JK now basically that we wouldn't have issues adjusting them considering it's not aluminum anymore.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 1967 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Silverado, 2014 Ram 2500
I'm at 35,600 miles so I dropped my 18 JLUR at the dealer Tuesday and complained of the wandering and also mentioned TSB 08-074-20. They called me today and said the steering damper was leaking and they were replacing it and the drag link. Looks like no new steering box for me unless I complain some more. I'll see how it drives when I get it back. My suspension is 100% stock.
Sponsored