Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
That is a bummer as I understand switching out the aluminum to the steel bolts reduce additional flex between the steering gear box and the frame. That’s a good reminder to check mine as well and make sure they didn’t reuse any bolts
The old and new bolts are both steel. In fact the new bolts look just like the shorter old bolts. It's only the old steering box housing that was aluminum.
Sponsored

97redjeep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, slightly modded 97 TJ, 2018 Power Wagon, 99 2500 24V
Definitely connected to the steering box :facepalm: I feel your pain, had the front diff changed out due to the faulty sensor issue, my wife just called and said there’s a bad clunk coming from the front end now....:swear:
I guess I’ll phone the service manager and kill two birds. Kinda off topic, has anyone had smartbar issues, as in not fully engaged/diss engaged?

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
So this might be a silly question, but is this TSB North America wide? I talked to my salesman and his reply was “This isn't an active recall on your Jeep, I just had service run your VIN, so until it is, I can't get them to do it. “. While it isn’t horrible to drive, my lightly modded TJ on 40s drives 10x straighter down the road than this brand new JL with 2700km on it, it drives more like my 98 24v, as I said manageable, but not quite what I’d expect from a $60k NEW Jeep.
You need a different dealer that has dealt with this. I had to drive two hours to find a dealer that knew what I was talking about and knew that they needed to perform the TSB. It isn't a recall (yet) it's the steps that the dealer is supposed to perform if you come in and complain about steering issues or wander. I even had a dealer tell me that THEY will determine whether or not my jeep needs the work done. Of course this was a dealer that had previously told me that my jeep "drives as intended" I went somewhere else.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
@RagTopDeluxe Steering issues are fixed! The Jeep goes where the steering wheel is pointed and I no longer have to guess if I'm going to run into a close barrier or 18 wheeler. Brian at Roseville gave me a call as soon as he got the parts in. I was either the first or second Jeep that they performed the TSB on. Probably the first as they started the job then realized that they didn't have all the bolts! well at least I got to drive a Rubicon Gladiator for a week while they waited on the bolts. (It had a steering issue!) I said in another thread that I thought I would be happier but really it now just drives like a Jeep like it's supposed to.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You might not expect this either but it’s gonna happen apparently. This is mine one day after getting it back from having the steering TSB done.

The FCA ownership experience is starting to get a little stale for my taste unfortunately.

A1B39A90-BC8D-46D3-9FAD-E7836589EBE5.jpeg
The visor retainer design sucks, but it's an easy fix (better than going to the dealer, then having that crap design break again). I used the shaft collar fix in this thread, works great!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sun-visor-fix.44865/

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i'm new to this jeep wrangler world. I drove two different JLU rubicon in the last week before a pull the trigger and buy one. I really like the the car a lot, how suspension works, engine power, interior, driving position......but steering wandering sucks. i wasn't expecting that to the point that i want to do a 3rd test drive with a non rubicon model to see how steering is in other trims? it was very disappointing experience to the point that I'm not sure if i want to buy it anymore.
my question is to the experts here, if this TSB solve this issue for real or I should expect seeing wandering as normal JLU behavior? and if it does why 2021 model don't come with that fix from factory??? should i wait for a 2022 model or maybe a late 2021 production model???
thanks for your help and excuse my total ignorance in driving a solid axle car
Keep in mind the Rubicon models (even the 2021s w/ the new steering box) have low caster. The Sport and Sahara models that have shorter suspension springs have caster in the 5 to 6 degree range, the Rubicons that are 1.5" to 2" taller have caster in the 3.5 to 4.5 range. The lower caster, especially at high speeds will cause a drifting or wandering off center. Luckily if you buy a Rubicon and don't plan any further lift, you can add the Mopar lift LCAs to get caster in the 6 degree range.
I think your opinion of the drive would be much better :)
Here's an install post on those~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
If you can get them to order before, do it. Allegedly, dealers can only order the boxes every 2 weeks, and if there’s others in line ahead of you, then you get pushed back even further.
I called and spoke to a service advisor. He told me essentially the same thing (he told me 3 weeks). He said I do have to bring it in for them to diagnosis it to get approval to order the parts. He told me they can only order 1 at a time and as of now there's at least 10 people ahead of me. So it sounds like I'll be able to get the ball rolling (provided they approve it) when I drop it off but will likely be months out from getting it actually completed.

On a side note, I didn't think mine was that bad until I drove my Dad's JT Sport (2020) and it was right down the middle and the steering had a far better "feel"

Last edited:

BigDipJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sport S
When I had originally went to the dealership and spoke about death wobble, they played dumb and were pretending like I was over exaggerating. Their response was “oh must be tin he steering stabilizer, we’ll order a new one and change it for it for you.”

About a week went by and on my usual way to work, I managed to find a spot on the highway that triggers the wobble. So I recorded it.

When I went back to the dealership to install the new steering stabilizer (which there was nothing wrong with the original one to begin with), I showed the service representative the video and my mechanic happened to be there. Both shocked at what they saw the service representative said “Let me check something, I remember there being a service bulletin about a steering box.”

Long story short, the new, steel steering box is coming in next week and they are installing it and fully inspecting the suspension.

I pushed quite hard for this because I have about $3000 dollars in aftermarket parts waiting to be installed and i wanted to make sure everything gets fixed under the warranty so they can’t turn around and blame me for the wobble.

Prioritypest

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 2019 Land Rover Discovery 2020 Jeep Willys
Dropped mine off Friday and picked it up Tuesday, only drove it home and to mcdonalds but all the dead space is gone and the steering feels a lot tighter.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Just got mine back from the dealer with the new box. I never had a problem with my steering, always had about 1" of play but did not bother me.

It is noticeably tighter than the old one. I still have the same amount of dead spot ( 1" ) but I would say it's about 25% tighter. Makes it easier to drive for sure with less corrections. And when you hit a decent size bump the wheel does not go ape shit back and forth.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Missed it in the 84 pgs, what is the torque value for the steering box bolts, I know the old box it's 99 ft lbs. I assume the new box is at least that tight. Just verified torque on my freshly installed box, and I'm guessing they were torqued to about 40 :(
I'm just going to snug up to 90 until someone can confirm the true value if it's different than the aluminum box.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
@RagTopDeluxe Steering issues are fixed! The Jeep goes where the steering wheel is pointed and I no longer have to guess if I'm going to run into a close barrier or 18 wheeler. Brian at Roseville gave me a call as soon as he got the parts in. I was either the first or second Jeep that they performed the TSB on. Probably the first as they started the job then realized that they didn't have all the bolts! well at least I got to drive a Rubicon Gladiator for a week while they waited on the bolts. (It had a steering issue!) I said in another thread that I thought I would be happier but really it now just drives like a Jeep like it's supposed to.
Brandon!!!! That is *awesome*!! Woohooo!:like::like::like:

I’m so happy to hear that *finally* you have it solved after all the crap you went through.
Sponsored