RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Rubi takeoffs (suspension and tires)

Thanks, looking for adjustable LCA's now. I dont think the Mopar's will get me enough and will buy once cry once on the adjustables. Probably Metalcloak since they are local.
I got the MC, too, and had them install them for me.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The aluminum boxes are not threaded, they have nuts on the ends of the bolts.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The box itself lists for about $650, the labor hours are supposed to be 1.9. If their labor rate is 250+ they better be doing Mercedes-Benz quality work.
The steering upgrade kits (gear box and all bolts) are available for around $530.00 from several online vendors now.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
My service center was so packed that there was a half hour long line of cars double parked outside waiting to go in. Appointment was at 12:10 , started waiting in line before 12 and finally got an advisor at 12:45 lol. Canā€™t blame them though, the other nearest service center 4 miles away is closed from the ā€˜rona.

Dropped off for this tsb and front passenger door no longer locks or unlocks.

Couldnā€™t really make out all of what he was saying.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
So I got the car back and they ordered the part itā€™s gonna take about four to five days.

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine back and all I can say is WOW! This is how it should have been at Job 1 From factory. Mine wasnā€™t even that bad to begin with. If you are on the fence get it done. Whole different driving experience.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Got mine back today after about a 2 week wait for parts. I'm glad I waited this out and did not throw aftermarket parts at it. Still 100% stock. My steering went from about 1-1.5" of slop (cold-hot) to nothing. This thing is really tight now....like rack & pinion tight.

Dealer did a really good job with most of the job, good alignment, no wander, straight wheel, tight bolts, fluid level, etc. Only issue is that they did damage my tie-rod boot at the pitman arm. It's ripped now. I really don't want to nit-pick since they did not give me any grief along the way and seems like they put more time into the Jeep than FCA pays them for.

I can't seem to find just the boot to replace anywhere. Anyone out there know it these can be bought separately?

Kudos to Jeep for actually taking action, now I just hope everyone out there with bad steering to begin with gets taken care of.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Mineā€™s at the dealership and theyā€™re supposed to get to it tomorrow. I did go to parts to look at the gearbox and verify itā€™s the correct part. AA and black cast iron... :like:

Mine is not as bad as some it seems but I hope for a noticeable improvement.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Rubi takeoffs (suspension and tires)

Thanks, looking for adjustable LCA's now. I dont think the Mopar's will get me enough and will buy once cry once on the adjustables. Probably Metalcloak since they are local.
If you don't plan to lift any further the Mopar LCAs will get you to a good place, and for $70 can't beat that deal. But if you plan on going taller down the road then yeah, adjustable LCAs FTW!

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Got mine done today. Steering much tighter. Still drifts a little but not as bad. Also found my track bar loose

Sponsored

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Got mine done today. Steering much tighter. Still drifts a little but not as bad. Also found my track bar loose
And steering fluid everywhere. Have the 2.0 turbo with e-torque, lots of piping and hoses around the box. Tech had a hell of a tome getting in swapped

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Another happy camper here...
Best way I can describe the difference is the steering is now more predictable. I had previously adjusted on my Aluminum gear to where I had very little dead spot. However, the result was stiff steering with no return to center and a bungee effect on really hot days.
I know itā€™s tough, but if you are on a waiting list, just be patient. Totally worth the wait and by that time the techs will be pros at the swap!

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
8/17-went to dealer with TSB in hand. Initially got the ā€œleave it with us so we can verify the problems.ā€ Told them they didnā€™t need to and showed them the highlighted portion of the TSB. Said ok and theyā€™d order the parts.
8/21- follow up email. Told parts still on order and theyā€™d let me know.
9/1- another follow up email. Told my parts as well as all parts are being delayed for them. Contacted Jeep Cares.
9/9-Jeep Cares messaged me with a case number Iā€™d been assigned.
9/10- the dealer calls and part have amazingly shown up.
9/15- 8am drop off Jeep for the service. 230 they call the wife to let her know itā€™s done.

Got home from work last night and first thing I did was crawl underneath to verify itā€™s the correct box. Check. Next looked at Pittman arm, not all beat to hell like some. A little extra fluid around but hey, Iā€™ll give them that one. Centered the front tires and the steering wheel was centered as well.

I can now report that the wifeā€™s 2020 JLU Willys drives exactly as I would expect it to. Better than my 2013 JKU (as it should). It maintains its line very well now, no more drifting or constantly fighting the wheel. Turning the wheel feels tighter, or more resistant. Thanks @JeepCares for getting involved and helping out.
As others have said, if you are on the fence about having this done, do it! It is the fix for the wandering issues the JL has had since going into production.

polestar#143

First Name
augusto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon (coming soon)
And steering fluid everywhere. Have the 2.0 turbo with e-torque, lots of piping and hoses around the box. Tech had a hell of a tome getting in swapped
i'm new to this jeep wrangler world. I drove two different JLU rubicon in the last week before a pull the trigger and buy one. I really like the the car a lot, how suspension works, engine power, interior, driving position......but steering wandering sucks. i wasn't expecting that to the point that i want to do a 3rd test drive with a non rubicon model to see how steering is in other trims? it was very disappointing experience to the point that I'm not sure if i want to buy it anymore.
my question is to the experts here, if this TSB solve this issue for real or I should expect seeing wandering as normal JLU behavior? and if it does why 2021 model don't come with that fix from factory??? should i wait for a 2022 model or maybe a late 2021 production model???
thanks for your help and excuse my total ignorance in driving a solid axle car
Sponsored