Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
First impressions on the new steering box is that the steering wheel play is GREATLY improved. This does not mean the wandering is improved, just that it responds better to steering inputs.
I had the slightly longer lower front control arms installed last Wednesday and that did wonders for reducing the wandering. But, as you say, the play in the steering box made it hard not to over correct when making any steering adjustments. The iron new box was installed today and now I'm extremely pleased with how it handles. If there's any play I can't really detect it.

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have an appointment on Thursday too. I'm bringing a copy of the TBS. I was going to anyway, but when I mentioned it when making the appointment, they confirmed that I should bring a copy. (like they don't have computers to look it up... sheesh).
Good luck! I'll be reporting back.

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
McGovern in Newton, MA, took mine for a ride before ordering the parts, and had the new box on-site within a week. Picked it up today - marked improvement from stock!

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
I have been waiting for over a month now for, "back-ordered parts" but continue to see plenty of people after me get their new steering box installed super quickly. I feel your pain.
The wife’s goes in tomorrow. 2 days shy of a month since they agreed to do the TSB.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
First impressions on the new steering box is that the steering wheel play is GREATLY improved. This does not mean the wandering is improved, just that it responds better to steering inputs. I'm glad I paid for the alignment because my caster is 3.7*L 3.6*R. I'm not sure what I want to do now, I think I need another 1.5-2* of caster to sort out the wandering but really don't want to keep going down this rabbit hole of throwing parts at the jeep just to get it driveable.

Front:
Camber -0.5L; -.2R
Caster 3.7L; 3.6R
Toe .12L; .12R

Rear:
Camber -.5L; -.1R
Toe .38L; -.05R

Frustrating to say the least.
The caster is too low.
The Mopar LCAs got me an additional 1.3* on my ‘19 JLR (started at 4.7*).

I put adjustable LCAs on my ‘20 and got my caster to ~7* and am very happy with it.

Sponsored

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
All - See attached full TSB 08-074-20!!!

TSB 08-074-20.pdf
Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I had a couple of rough experiences driving out to Yellowstone going 80-85mph with gusts of wind across the plains, especially hitting of the front of semis, and got blown around quite a bit. I called up the dealer closest to me which had appointments booked out 4 weeks but I was able to drop off the Jeep in hopes they could at least get the diagnostic done. 2 days later the install was complete after FCA overnighted the parts and steering is VASTLY improved. Driving around town has been so much better and actually looking forward to getting on some higher speed freeways (70-75mph) for a road trip up the MN north shore.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I had a couple of rough experiences driving out to Yellowstone going 80-85mph with gusts of wind across the plains, especially hitting of the front of semis, and got blown around quite a bit. I called up the dealer closest to me which had appointments booked out 4 weeks but I was able to drop off the Jeep in hopes they could at least get the diagnostic done. 2 days later the install was complete after FCA overnighted the parts and steering is VASTLY improved. Driving around town has been so much better and actually looking forward to getting on some higher speed freeways (70-75mph) for a road trip up the MN north shore.
So how do you get a hold of FCA? I'm familiar with working with JeepCares, but not FCA. Or are they the same? I've been approved for the TSB but the wait for parts has me in line until December

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
Took mine to Carman in New Castle, DE.

i no longer have to keep adjusting to the left to keep it straight. The steering is a lot more responsive, similar to my wifes QX60.

I looked to see if they did the replacement before I left the dealership...namely because I don't trust any dealership....but I have no earthly idea where to look or what to look for. I drove it, it drove different, moving on. lol.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you have a lift as that Caster is way low for a stock sport. Get the longer Mopar LCAs and enjoy that Jeep!
Here's my install post for those~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317
Rubi takeoffs (suspension and tires)
The caster is too low.
The Mopar LCAs got me an additional 1.3* on my ‘19 JLR (started at 4.7*).

I put adjustable LCAs on my ‘20 and got my caster to ~7* and am very happy with it.
Thanks, looking for adjustable LCA's now. I dont think the Mopar's will get me enough and will buy once cry once on the adjustables. Probably Metalcloak since they are local.

Sponsored

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Been struggling with this issue since day 1 purchase in 2018. I've posted a bunch in the other 400 page steering thread regarding minor improvements to include, SS, Yeti-track bar, adjusted steering box, tire pressure, fuses, etc. I can finally say that the new steering box has finally corrected the dead spot. I had the TSB installed on Friday and it is a vast improvement over the AE and earlier version. It has an immediate input/output response with a more tighter and controlled steering feel. Unfortunately I did have to correct my steering wheel (off 30 degrees), top off my power steering reservoir and also noticed they reused the original steering box bolts. Next I will purchase the longer LCA's to settle the wandering in hopes for more controlled tracking but overall am very happy with the outcome.

DOCXKT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED SAHARA
Just dropped mine off at bayside Jeep in NY at 9 a.m the advisor told me they haven’t worked on my car yet so I’ll be updated once they work on it. I gave him the TSB and he told me they did one last week for the first time so I hope mine gets done too! Wish me luck!

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
Took mine in today for a few issues(start stop warning light comes on occasionally while cranking, steering, and wind noise from the windshield). I went to Leith Jeep in Raleigh NC. They did a flash for the start stop and said they would have to order the steering box. It’s gonna take about 2 months to get the part but they gave me no problems about changing it and my Jeep is no where near as bad as some. Honestly I just figured it drove normal until I saw this thread since I was coming from a fiesta ST to a JLU.
Sponsored